ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration?

Post by PasadenaTom » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:34 pm

Lynn11 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:19 pm
I submit my application from the US (New York) and did not make copies - I just received my FRB a few weeks ago with no requests for additional information
That sure beats my gloomy assessment!

Drivera6892
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Drivera6892 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:55 pm

PasadenaTom wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:34 pm
Lynn11 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:19 pm
I submit my application from the US (New York) and did not make copies - I just received my FRB a few weeks ago with no requests for additional information
That sure beats my gloomy assessment!
So I emailed them. They responded and said they will make the copies. Now I’ll just sit back and patiently try to wait

Jezabel
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Jezabel » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:37 am

Just received my passport so a timeline for my whole experience, which took a total 9 months from application to receipt of passport

19/09/2017 Application sent to Irish Embassy in London
08/02/2018 Email from DFA (Dublin) requesting additional documentation
24/02/2018 Additional docs sent to DFA
06/03/2018 Additional docs received by DFA
13/03/2018 Entry onto FBR
26/03/2018 FBR cert with covering letter sent from DFA
31/03/2018 Received FBR Cert
03/04/2018 Sent off passport application
10/04/2018 Passport application received in Dublin
18/06/2018 Received passport

cathsarah
Newly Registered

Post by cathsarah » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:34 pm

canada1005 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:31 am
Timeline Update

8th February 2018 Application and documents sent (London embassy)

13th February 2018 = Confirmation that documents have been received (London embassy)

5th June 2018 = Email from FBR. "This application was recently sent to Dublin where it is here at an advanced stage of processing. Please be aware that FBR applications take approximately six months to process. If an examining officer requires any further clarification from you they will be in touch".

23rd July 2018 = Due date for son/daughter (Hopefully I can pass on Irish citizenship to my child.
Have you told them that you are pregnant? My mum called the Edinburgh Consulate for an unrelated question (she has applied for me and my siblings to get citizenship through FBR, we applied in March and have heard nothing since apart from confirmation of payment and request for some documents) - the woman she spoke to asked her if any of us were pregnant as this could be considered as an emergency situation. It might be worth calling them and explaining the situation if you haven't already. I really hope this is of help to you.

Kev920
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Kev920 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:03 am

Received my FBR letter and certificate today!

Electronically filed on 12/28/17
No communications or request for additional documents
Checked once with Dublin office in March/April via phone and they said my application was moved on for approval
Received FBR today 6/18/18

Overall about 5.5 months total time

They did not include any forms for passport but rather indicated to go to www.dfa.ie. The website then tells you to contact your local consulate in the US which happens to be in New York for me.

Best of luck to all!

EireAislynn
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by EireAislynn » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:44 pm

PasadenaTom wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:21 am
EireAislynn wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:10 am

Has anyone had this sort of correspondence and received their completed registration soon after?
I suspect that once someone who participates on this forum has received their registration, they probably don't come back to answer questions. I do think most of us will return to complete our timelines, to help those who are still waiting.

This is only educated speculation, based on other posts. But if all they are requesting is clarification on where to return your documents, you are likely in or near the 10 week final approval stage that another poster mentioned. But is someone getting your application package ready prior to sending it to final approval? Or is a person working on the final approval stage getting ready to return your approved package? For your sake, I hope the latter. Good luck and speedy approvals for all of us!
I actually received an email this morning saying I'm an Irish citizen! It went on to say that my certificate is awaiting printing, and it will be sent via registered mail in 2-3 weeks. Which hopefully means receipt by mid- to end of July. Just in time for my birthday.

canada1005
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by canada1005 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:23 pm

cathsarah wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:34 pm
canada1005 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:31 am
Timeline Update

8th February 2018 Application and documents sent (London embassy)

13th February 2018 = Confirmation that documents have been received (London embassy)

5th June 2018 = Email from FBR. "This application was recently sent to Dublin where it is here at an advanced stage of processing. Please be aware that FBR applications take approximately six months to process. If an examining officer requires any further clarification from you they will be in touch".

23rd July 2018 = Due date for son/daughter (Hopefully I can pass on Irish citizenship to my child.
Have you told them that you are pregnant? My mum called the Edinburgh Consulate for an unrelated question (she has applied for me and my siblings to get citizenship through FBR, we applied in March and have heard nothing since apart from confirmation of payment and request for some documents) - the woman she spoke to asked her if any of us were pregnant as this could be considered as an emergency situation. It might be worth calling them and explaining the situation if you haven't already. I really hope this is of help to you.
My wife is pregnant. I will call the Irish Embassy in London and see if they can speed things up. Thank you for the advice.

Greasyman1
Newly Registered

Foreign Birth Registration- Refusal 2018

Post by Greasyman1 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:13 am

I’ve had my FBR application turned down. I handed my documents in at the London office on 15th January 2018. I was unable to include my living Father’s current ID. I had all other documents included my Irish born Grandfather’s birth and death certificates.
I was excluded from my family in 1979 after they found I was gay. Even if I could trace my Father, I’d not be welcome or allowed any documents. Of course my heterosexual sibling will likely have everything including an Irish passport and the pending inheritance. I evidenced this in a affidavit included in my application.
I received an email from Dublin on 21/05 “our documentary requirements are very strict and an affidavit cannot be accepted in lieu of required documents”
I’ve seen on here that on occasions, affidavits do seem to have been accepted so the definition of ‘very strict’ may vary. Although I can and probably will engage an Irish solicitor to have a argument, it will be expensive and draining. I’m retired so have plenty of time but I’m not sure I have the stamina at my age.
If anyone has a recommendation for a specific law firm who might be good for this please share the information.
Good luck with your own applications.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Foreign Birth Registration- Refusal 2018

Post by CR001 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:11 am

Greasyman1 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:13 am
I’ve had my FBR application turned down. I handed my documents in at the London office on 15th January 2018. I was unable to include my living Father’s current ID. I had all other documents included my Irish born Grandfather’s birth and death certificates.
I was excluded from my family in 1979 after they found I was gay. Even if I could trace my Father, I’d not be welcome or allowed any documents. Of course my heterosexual sibling will likely have everything including an Irish passport and the pending inheritance. I evidenced this in a affidavit included in my application.
I received an email from Dublin on 21/05 “our documentary requirements are very strict and an affidavit cannot be accepted in lieu of required documents”
I’ve seen on here that on occasions, affidavits do seem to have been accepted so the definition of ‘very strict’ may vary. Although I can and probably will engage an Irish solicitor to have a argument, it will be expensive and draining. I’m retired so have plenty of time but I’m not sure I have the stamina at my age.
If anyone has a recommendation for a specific law firm who might be good for this please share the information.
Under the Forum T&Cs, members are not permitted to post details or names of law firms or professional advisors.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

canada1005
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by canada1005 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:04 am

CR001 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:11 am
Greasyman1 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:13 am
Under the Forum T&Cs, members are not permitted to post details or names of law firms or professional advisors.
If it was me i'd wait until the persons death and use the death certificate as proof of Entitlement. If I was in a hurry to obtain citizenship then i'd perhaps purchase a voodoo doll too. Apparently you can buy them on Amazon!

exchangeboy
Newly Registered

Post by exchangeboy » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:13 pm

dear Kev920,
could you please PM me the contact number of FBR dublin office.
Kev920 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:03 am

Checked once with Dublin office in March/April via phone and they said my application was moved on for approval

They did not include any forms for passport but rather indicated to go to www.dfa.ie. The website then tells you to contact your local consulate in the US which happens to be in New York for me.

Best of luck to all!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:26 pm

exchangeboy wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:13 pm
dear Kev920,
could you please PM me the contact number of FBR dublin office.
Kev920 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:03 am

Best of luck to all!
User 'Kev920' does not have access to the privilege of the PM function as yet. An official Irish gov number can be posted publicly on the forum.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Kev920
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Kev920 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:17 am

Contact info can be found here

https://www.dfa.ie/about-us/contact-us/contact-details/ then scroll down to Consular Services

Phone # is (Foreign Births Register) 01-408 2555 (10am-1pm Irish Time)

Sotyrockz04
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Sotyrockz04 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:08 pm

Posting Timeline:

March 25-submitted application and paid fee
April 4th-Shipped application and documentation
April 6th-Dublin received application
April 9th-Received confirmation of Dublin receiving application.
June 6th-I emailed FBR and received a response within 20 minutes at 930 am ET-I asked for application status and was told my application was submitted for decision on 5/30/18 and that I may still be contacted for more documents during this stage.
June 27th-Emailed FBR for status update-Received a reply that states my "applications has been provisionally approved and it should take 6-8 weeks for the process to take its course. Applications are currently taking 4-5 months at present."

I shipped my application from New York. I will update when I receive all of my documents and approval letter.

pixie1230

Post by pixie1230 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:31 pm

Hello! Good day to all!

I just got the FBR of my 9 month old Baby a few weeks back. And now I need to apply for an Irish passport. Me and my husband is currently in Ireland as we are both working here, and my baby is in our home country with my mother. I was wondering if i can apply for her Irish passport here in Ireland(as both parents are resident here and currenlty here in Ireland) As i still need to go back home if I can’t apply it here:( Anyone who had the same experience as this, please lemme know.

Thanks in advance!!

fkbayarea
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by fkbayarea » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:30 pm

LuluBlue76 wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:11 am
Absolutely delighted to be able to update my completed timeline now for my two children. Really feel for those of you still waiting (longer than us in some cases).
Posted off the forms and documentation Monday 16th October 2017
Heard nothing until an email on Monday 26th February asking for my witness to email them from their work email confirming that they know my children. This was done the next day.
They confirmed they had received this a couple of days later and I had no further contact until I got a Royal Mail card through my door on Tuesday 17th April that I had a letter to sign for. This turned out to be the certificates and all our documentation, and passport forms for us to apply for passports. So ours returned to us in 6 months to the day after they received it in London.
We were lucky that it was easy to show the lineage through birth/marriage certificates so I think our case was straightforward. Good luck to everyone in the process.
I saw your post that you had applied for you two children ... I'm beginning the process for my two children and was wondering if you were able to use the same documentation for both kids (e.g. your birth certificate) or if you needed separate certified copies of everything? I only have one copy of my own Foreign Birth Register certificate and would prefer not to have to get another one.

Thanks for any insights you have and congratulations on completing the process!

Francis

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:39 am

Sotyrockz04 wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:08 pm
Posting Timeline:

April 6th-Dublin received application
April 9th-Received confirmation of Dublin receiving application.

I shipped my application from New York. I will update when I receive all of my documents and approval letter.
I received a confirmation of receipt of my application and supporting documents on April 16th. So yours was just a few days ahead of mine. I am looking forward to your update (hopefully in 6 weeks - or less)!

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:43 am

exchangeboy wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:13 pm

[/quote]

I've read elsewhere that passport applications were sent with the FBR documents. Does anyone know what is the normal procedure? I'd like to apply for a passport as soon as my registration is complete. Would it be best to request the form from the consulate in advance? Can you request one before you have been entered in the FBR?

zsk_747
Ireland

Post by zsk_747 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:17 pm

Dear Folks,
I applied for FBR too for my daughter on 1/02/2018.I just email to FBR for a status and received an email from FBR after few hours and stated that they are consulting my application with other member of state.
Does anyone has a any clue. What does that above mean.

Many thanks

imperium
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by imperium » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:38 am

Hi there,

I am about to submit my FBR application and I have all the documents they ask for except one.

Until now, my father has proven to be unhelpful when it comes to giving me a copy of his UK Driver's License or passport. I am living overseas and he just views it as a massive hassle for him to go and get stuff notarized and send it off to me in Asia. I have even tried to bribe him into action, but without success. Though he claims his concern is identity theft, It's really that he can't be bothered. He thinks I have enough passports as it is.

So I am wondering if anyone has encountered similar circumstances, perhaps with an estranged parent or one who simply cannot be traced. Did you manage to find a viable solution that was acceptable to the DFA in lieu of submission of your parental passport / photo ID? I have been advised that an affidavit outlining the situation could work. However, I have also been told that recently there has been some push-back against this by the Irish authorities.

In case of refusal for FBR by the DFA, has anyone had any experience of challenging their decision in court? I mention this because I saw some others refer to an appeals process which was internal to the DFA and seldom worked. I got my Lithuanian passport issued via court decision after the migration office there rejected my application for citizenship by descent - due to some missing public records. The burden of proof in court is generally on the balance of probabilities and this tends to be lower than what the immigration officials apply. I am wondering if anyone has done this in Ireland as yet?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Lynn11
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Lynn11 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:33 pm

Pasadena Tom, I requested my passport application from the consulate before I was entered into the FRB. I'm in the US and I did not receive a passport application when I received my FBR certificate. I think the consulate sent me the application within 2 weeks of requesting it, might want to do it now so you have it all ready :)

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:21 pm

Thanks Lynn11! I just requested a passport application from the consulate in San Francisco. It would be a shame to have to wait a couple of weeks for a form, after already waiting months to receive citizenship documents.

Perhaps the cases I read about where people said a passport application was included with their FBR certificate involved the FBR being processed through a consulate rather than direct to Dublin.

brawn400
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by brawn400 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:24 pm

Hello,

My apologies if I am asking a question hat has been posed several times before, there are over 34 pages of posts on here! :D

I sent my FBR application off on Friday last week and have had confirmation from the DFA that they have received my application and that it can take up to 6 months. Standard from what I can gather from their website and on this forum.

However I have a couple of questions hopefully some of you might be able to answer:

Does the receipt email mean that it has been transferred to Dublin or simply that it is with the London embassy?

People have mentioned on here notification that their application is in an advance stage, or similar. Is this something that the DFA do automatically or do you get such communication from enquiring with them?

Now the wait begins! Hopefully all will be well :-)

Thanks for the help!

Mak2386
United States of America

Post by Mak2386 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:35 pm

Hello Everybody..

I have posted my application on June 01 2017 to London Embassy and got email on 8th september 2017 asking additional documents. I have submitted additional docs at 22nd Sept 2017 and from then it is under management review. it is almost 10 months i am not getting any response. ( DFA always answer that it is under review and will take few more months). is there any way or process for esclation to higher management? thanks in advance...Regards

Winterflaw
Newly Registered

Post by Winterflaw » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:37 pm

imperium wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:38 am
So I am wondering if anyone has encountered similar circumstances, perhaps with an estranged parent or one who simply cannot be traced. Did you manage to find a viable solution that was acceptable to the DFA in lieu of submission of your parental passport / photo ID? I have been advised that an affidavit outlining the situation could work. However, I have also been told that recently there has been some push-back against this by the Irish authorities.
I am in somewhat similar situation. My Irish grandfather abused his daughters, one of whom was my mother, and I am estranged from my family anyway. I was able to collect every document except my mother's passport.

However, to complicate matters, I never knew or met my Irish grandfather.

From the marriage certificate of that unknown grandfather and my mother, I knew his age on the date of the wedding, his name and his fathers name.

Searching the various on-line family databases this gave four people who could be the man in question - one English, two Irish.

The English possibility died however aged a few days.

That left two Irish, one of whom for which I found a death certificate, the other not (he could even still be alive).

Like a complete idiot, I explained all this in a letter with my application and sent all of the various certificates I found.

As far as I can tell right now (getting information from DFA is proving difficult) from an informal chat with the Embassy where I applied, the application was rejected in Dublin because they did not like that there were two possible grandfathers.

I should have sent *only* the certificates for the grandfather for whom I had the death certificate (as he was the likely man, given his professions and his fathers profession).

The Embassy itself has accepted the application.

So I'm looking now at the appeals process.
In case of refusal for FBR by the DFA, has anyone had any experience of challenging their decision in court? I mention this because I saw some others refer to an appeals process which was internal to the DFA and seldom worked.
I rather thought the appeals process would not work. As far as I can see from what I can get from the DFA, they take the original application, unmodified, and have a more senior member of staff review it. Of course given the lack of modification it will be rare for the appeal to succeed.

(As an aside, on the DFA site, there's a page, "FBR Appeals Process", and you write a physical letter to the FBR Appeals Officer. I was then emailed and it was explained to me there is no appeal process, only a review process. That's fine - they have what they have - but the web-site is using totally the wrong words. I imagine it's been like that for years.)

I'm trying to get the DFA to explain why the rejection occurred - so far all I have is "insufficient documentation" and nothing more. Just those two words.

I am looking around for a decent solicitor.

I would like to find out if I can modify the application prior to review.

(Actually, what I'd like is to understand how the process is implemented in the DFA, so I can have an idea of what I should try to do now. There's no documentation for end-users on how it all works - it's a black box. It's a bit like trying to use a software package, but without the manual.)

If not, the review is next as its free and offers a small chance, and after that, I guess it's off to court.

I made a huge mistake in being honest and open with a bureaucracy. I did know it at the time, but it's my nature to be open, and I didn't stop myself. Begins to look like an expensive mistake.

The fundamental problem here is that their service is primarily tax funded rather than end-user funded, and they have a monopoly; they have absolutely no reason to care whatsoever for their customers.

I want to pay for the service, and I want to pick whom I use for the service. The State then needs to review those companies to check their decisions are reasonable. That's how it works basically with lawyers (except lawyers are super expensive because the supply of would-be lawyers is tightly controlled by qualified lawyers, with the State helping them in this - not good for the State if lots of people can afford legal action. They'll be able to object to all sorts of things that otherwise they can do nothing about. It's not a deliberate policy, but all people and entities naturally fail to object to that which turns out to be good for them.)