ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non EU citizen Refused Bording flight to Budapest via Zürich from LHR while traveling with EU citizen spouse

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sunrise80
Newly Registered

Non EU citizen Refused Bording flight to Budapest via Zürich from LHR while traveling with EU citizen spouse

Post by sunrise80 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:18 pm

Hi All,
Swiss Air/ LHR airport staff on 16 June 2018 at LHR airport on 04:30 am didn’t allow me and my partner together to board the flight. l and my partner were on the way to Budapest via Zürich. Swiss Air/LHR staff didn’t let us go to travel because lack of visa information they held.

I am Indian citizen and EU family member holding European Union UK permanent residence card under EU law. I presented my valid passport and EU resident card to Swiss Air staff at LHR airport. They also refused to give me reason in writing why they are refusing us to board the flight.

I booked flight from London Heathrow via Zurich to Budapest. I just wanted to transit through Zürich airport to Budapest with my EU family member.

I booked two tickets after checking Switzerland immigration website:
Link is here. It clearly says “Family member of EU citizen” do not require transit visa. (Please read the 4th point.)

https://www.sem.admin.ch/content/dam/da ... ste2-e.pdf

I immediately have to book another flight same day from Luton airport to Budapest, where while traveling I didn’t face any problem.

Please do let me know what is my right in this case.

Thank you.

dan1988uk
Member of Standing
Italy

Re: Non EU citizen Refused Bording flight to Budapest via Zürich from LHR while traveling with EU citizen spouse

Post by dan1988uk » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:39 pm

Switzerland does not recognize Residence card for family member issued by the UK so a non EEA citizen can not enter Switzerland without a visa even with a Residence card. Yours was NOT an airport “transit” because Zurich would have been your entry port in the Schengen Area.