ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is it possible to start a course with the EEA FM Entry clearance and then get the RC? Or forcibly need a Student Visa?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

FromAtoB
Newly Registered
United States of America

Is it possible to start a course with the EEA FM Entry clearance and then get the RC? Or forcibly need a Student Visa?

Post by FromAtoB » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:21 pm

Good Day,

My unmarried partner and I are living in Australia and leaving for the UK first week of August. I am from New Zealand and she is from Sweden.

We were gonna move to the UK with me getting the EEA Family Permit outside the UK and then applying for the Residence Card once she starts her new job in September.

I just for an acceptance letter to start a 2-year uni programme which starts in the second week of August.

My question is, should I get the Tier 4 Student Visa or would the EEA Family Permit be enough to fulfill my entry requirements?

If I enter the UK as a Tier 4 Student, wouldn't it be more difficult to then get switch to a Residence Card?

Thanks a lot in advance

thsths

Re: Is it possible to start a course with the EEA FM Entry clearance and then get the RC? Or forcibly need a Student Vis

Post by thsths » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:50 pm

As far as I can see, either way is possible.

The EEA FM is a rights based approach, and it is supposed to be the easier option. However, since you are not married, your application may be put under special scrutiny, which could delay it.

The student visa is a bit more expensive, I think, but it is a straight forward application. You can change from a student visa to a residence card later (but not the other way round). The concern about unmarried partners still applies.

Hamlette
Newly Registered

Re: Is it possible to start a course with the EEA FM Entry clearance and then get the RC? Or forcibly need a Student Vis

Post by Hamlette » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:32 pm

Do you have 2 years proof of cohabitation, joint bank account, joint bills etc, tenancy, they will be looking for 2 years worth, the 2 years is not written down, but is rule of thumb they use.