ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

My 5 years EEA family residence card expires 2 months before March 2019 when new settled status go live

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

vahidfar
Newly Registered
Iran

5 year EEA family residence permit expiring 3 months before the new "settled status" go live

Post by vahidfar » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:55 am

Hi everyone,

My 5 year EEA family residence permit will expired in January 2019 and the new scheme for settle status apparently will go live on March 2019.

Should I re-apply for residence permit only for 3 months to then apply again for this settled status or can I stay legally that three month without having a physical permit and apply on March for the settled status?

Many thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: 5 year EEA family residence permit expiring 3 months before the new "settled status" go live

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:52 am

There will be a phased roll-out of the new system in late 2018 so you could go straight to applying. Suggest you follow the news over the summer.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

vahidfar
Newly Registered
Iran

Re: 5 year EEA family residence permit expiring 3 months before the new "settled status" go live

Post by vahidfar » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:18 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:52 am
There will be a phased roll-out of the new system in late 2018 so you could go straight to applying. Suggest you follow the news over the summer.
Thanks for your reply, yes, I was thinking that it will be available late 2018 but on their website it says:
The scheme will open fully by 30 March 2019

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:19 pm

Agreed, but they will open it early (as beta) to avoid a rush on 30 March 2019.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

vahidfar
Newly Registered
Iran

Post by vahidfar » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:49 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:19 pm
Agreed, but they will open it early (as beta) to avoid a rush on 30 March 2019.
Thanks, hope so

thsths

Post by thsths » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:50 am

I would not trust the Home Office on any of these promises, especially related to the time line.

So it depends on how risky your situation is: do you need it for your job, or do you need to travel? If so, I would apply for EEA PR.

Keep in mind that there were a few months when the Home Office would not process EEA applications, because they were moving the whole process to Liverpool. They have done it before, and they may do it again.

vahidfar
Newly Registered
Iran

Post by vahidfar » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:12 am

thsths wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:50 am
I would not trust the Home Office on any of these promises, especially related to the time line.

So it depends on how risky your situation is: do you need it for your job, or do you need to travel? If so, I would apply for EEA PR.

Keep in mind that there were a few months when the Home Office would not process EEA applications, because they were moving the whole process to Liverpool. They have done it before, and they may do it again.
The thing is that I wanted to apply for the PR but, 2 years out of this 5 years my wife has been student although was working part-time 2 days a week, the income was below the NI PT threshold so the PR application wouldn't be straight forward because of the health insurance that they might ask for.

I can apply then for another 5 years permit which sounds useless if three month after it I could apply for settled status

aarontran2506
Newly Registered
Vietnam

Post by aarontran2506 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:28 pm

[/quote]
The thing is that I wanted to apply for the PR but, 2 years out of this 5 years my wife has been student although was working part-time 2 days a week, the income was below the NI PT threshold so the PR application wouldn't be straight forward because of the health insurance that they might ask for.

I can apply then for another 5 years permit which sounds useless if three month after it I could apply for settled status
[/quote]

You don't need to apply for anything during the 3 months period after the RC expires and before the scheme fully goes live. In fact, as the UK is still in EU until December 2020, EU law still applies and according to EU law, family member of EU citizens don't even need any kind of document to stay here legally, they just need that to prove to employers, landlords etc that they can stay legally. So in that 3 months gap, you are still a legal resident. Just wait for it to go live in March 2019 and apply for the settled status

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:06 am

aarontran2506 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:28 pm
[You don't need to apply for anything during the 3 months period after the RC expires and before the scheme fully goes live. In fact, as the UK is still in EU until December 2020, EU law still applies and according to EU law, family member of EU citizens don't even need any kind of document to stay here legally, they just need that to prove to employers, landlords etc that they can stay legally. So in that 3 months gap, you are still a legal resident. Just wait for it to go live in March 2019 and apply for the settled status
Are EEA directives binding on employers and landlords? If not, then this is extremely bad advice. If they are binding, I still think it is bad advice. If working or living in rented accommodation, the OP should apply for a new, 5-year residence card to cover any gap if the OP cannot apply for settled status in time.

EEA_question
Newly Registered

Post by EEA_question » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:05 am

I'm currently in same situation, My RC will expire in Jan and I do not qualify for PR ( 1 year gap in CSI ) hence I need to apply for another RC.

According to "EU Settlement Scheme: Statement of Intent" published last week. To make a valid application under new scheme, non-EU citizen family members need valid passport and a VALID biometric residence card issued under the EEA Regulations.

This suggest me that you have to hold a valid RC(EEA Regulations) at the time of application for settled status unless I understood it wrong.

In my case, I'm going to apply for new RC first and then apply for settled status when it is live.

You can find detailed info below.

Page 18 -
"4.8. Third, the applicant will need to provide the required proof of their identity and
nationality. For an EU citizen, this will be a valid11 passport or a valid national identity
card. For a non-EU citizen family member, this will be a valid passport, a valid biometric
residence card issued under the EEA Regulations or a valid biometric immigration
document, commonly known as a biometric residence permit. The Home Office may
accept alternative evidence of identity and nationality where the applicant is unable to
obtain or produce the required document due to circumstances beyond their control or to
compelling practical or compassionate reasons.
"

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... e_2018.pdf

thsths

Post by thsths » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:51 pm

This is exactly why I would not trust the Home Office on pretty much anything.

Why would they not accept a valid non-biometric residence card?

And this is after telling people not to go through the current process, because the residence card would soon be obsolete.

My conclusion is that the attitude of the Home Office has not changed one bit: they are still trying to catch you out with some technicality. Mind the gap.

thsths

Post by thsths » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:14 pm

PS: But it does say "or" in the text, so I doubt that a biometric residence card is actually required.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:52 pm

EEA_question wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:05 am
According to "EU Settlement Scheme: Statement of Intent" published last week. To make a valid application under new scheme, non-EU citizen family members need valid passport and a VALID biometric residence card issued under the EEA Regulations.

This suggest me that you have to hold a valid RC(EEA Regulations) at the time of application for settled status unless I understood it wrong.

Page 18 -
"4.8. Third, the applicant will need to provide the required proof of their identity and
nationality. For an EU citizen, this will be a valid11 passport or a valid national identity
card. For a non-EU citizen family member, this will be a valid passport, a valid biometric
residence card issued under the EEA Regulations or a valid biometric immigration
document, commonly known as a biometric residence permit....
Relax. You've misunderstood it. "a valid passport, a valid biometric
document" means one of

a valid passport
a valid biometric residence card
a biometric residence permit.

vahidfar
Newly Registered
Iran

My 5 years EEA family residence card expires 2 months before March 2019 when new settled status go live

Post by vahidfar » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:06 am

So I entered the UK on May 2013 with the 6 months EEA family permit and then I got the 5 years EEA family residence card and that is going to expires in Jan 2018.

The new settled status scheme is going live in March 2019, so there will be 2-3 months gap between my current permit expiry and when the new scheme go live, the new scheme will be much easier to apply , so my plan was to do nothing for that gap and then just apply for the settled status.

From the immigration law prospective, this is completely legal and I do not need any physical proof as the direct family member of an EU national(My wife is European) , however my employer and other places can struggle to understand this, I was wondering what I should do about this situation? should I apply for anything to fill that gap?

I thought about applying for the permanent residence now and later replace it with the settled status, however 3 years out of the last 5 years, my wife has been student and although she's been working part-time, I think she would not pass the NI threshold test so I think we will face the lack of "Comprehensive Sickness Insurance" issue .So in my opinion my application for permanent residence could be rejected and that was the main reason I decided to just wait for the settled status.

Is there anything I can do to have a physical proof for that 2,3 months gap?

kamoe

Re: My 5 years EEA family residence card expires 2 months before March 2019 when new settled status go live

Post by kamoe » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:26 am

vahidfar wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:06 am
From the immigration law prospective, this is completely legal and I do not need any physical proof as the direct family member of an EU national(My wife is European) , however my employer and other places can struggle to understand this, I was wondering what I should do about this situation? should I apply for anything to fill that gap?
Your case sounds very similar to another recent post, check our discussion there: eea-route-applications/eea2-residence-t ... 64509.html
I thought about applying for the permanent residence now and later replace it with the Settled Status, however 3 years out of the last 5 years, my wife has been student and although she's been working part-time, I think she would not pass the NI threshold test so I think we will face the lack of "Comprehensive Sickness Insurance" issue . So in my opinion my application for permanent residence could be rejected
Your are right, she will have an issue, and none of you will be eligible for Permanent Residence.
and that was the main reason I decided to just wait for the settled status.
You raise a very crucial point of which I'm not 100% sure, but looks like you are right: The settled status seems to be more relaxed than the previous Permanent Residence category, where -looks like- some conditions are waived, such as the EU national needing CSI.

Can anyone confirm this?

Purely from the available information, looks like that's the case. EU nationals, or their family members, do not need to have spent the 5 years while the EU citizen exercised treaty rights, seems like it only suffices to prove continous residence in the UK during those years. This relates to my previous post about the possibility to combine Tier years to meet the 5-year Settlement requirement:
eea-route-applications/will-the-settled ... 64588.html
If you absolutely want a physical document during those months, your only option is a new Residence Card.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

newbiehere2018
Newly Registered
Mood:

Re: My 5 years EEA family residence card expires 2 months before March 2019 when new settled status go live

Post by newbiehere2018 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:45 pm

Hi guys,

How would you go on about applying for Residence Card, bearing in mind that we already have one?

Do you have to go back and apply for a 6 months family visa from your country again and then apply for a Residence Card, or?

If it is possible to renew the Residence Card or apply from the UK, can you please give me a link?

Thank you

vahidfar
Newly Registered
Iran

Post by vahidfar » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:55 pm

Maybe you need to marry again as well! just joking,

You just need to apply again for the residence card if you wanted to do so, or just wait for the Settled status
https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-a-uk-residence-card

newbiehere2018
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by newbiehere2018 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:09 pm

Haha who knows, everything is possible. Thank you anyway.

NikiGio
Member of Standing
Mood:
Italy

Post by NikiGio » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:33 pm

vahidfar wrote:
So I entered the UK on May 2013 with the 6 months EEA family permit and then I got the 5 years EEA family residence card and that is going to expires in Jan 2018.

The new settled status scheme is going live in March 2019, so there will be 2-3 months gap between my current permit expiry and when the new scheme go live, the new scheme will be much easier to apply , so my plan was to do nothing for that gap and then just apply for the settled status.

I thought about applying for the permanent residence now and later replace it with the settled status, however 3 years out of the last 5 years, my wife has been student and although she's been working part-time, I think she would not pass the NI threshold test so I think we will face the lack of "Comprehensive Sickness Insurance" issue .So in my opinion my application for permanent residence could be rejected and that was the main reason I decided to just wait for the settled status.

Based on what it says on the Free Movement blog, you should be able to apply for Settled Status towards the end of 2018, before the system goes fully live in March 2019:

https://www.freemovement.org.uk/how-to- ... us-brexit/

Search for the paragraph:
"People who may want to apply earlier rather than later include non-EU family members of EU nationals whose current documents will expire while the settled status process is open."

Of course, we are now nearly in October and no word from the HO yet...
I am not an immigration lawyer. My comments are opinions, not legal advice.

NikiGio
Member of Standing
Mood:
Italy

Post by NikiGio » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:49 pm

NikiGio wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:33 pm
vahidfar wrote:

As Alterhase58 said, and based on what it says on the Free Movement blog, you should be able to apply for Settled Status towards the end of 2018, before the system goes fully live in March 2019:

https://www.freemovement.org.uk/how-to- ... us-brexit/

Search for the paragraph:
"People who may want to apply earlier rather than later include non-EU family members of EU nationals whose current documents will expire while the settled status process is open."

Of course, we are now nearly in October and no word from the HO yet...

NikiGio
Member of Standing
Mood:
Italy

Post by NikiGio » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:40 pm

vahidfar wrote:
Vahidfar, last post on this!

At the risk of contradicting other advice - I think you may have a case for applying for DCPR now, with your wife as a qualified person (worker).

Part-time work below the NI threshold could count as exercising treaty rights, so long as it is not what the HO call "marginal or supplementary" work.

How many hours a week does your wife work? Does she have P60s for the years she was working
full-time and part-time, and/or does she have pay-slips?

I was looking at the criteria for qualified persons earlier - look at p.11-12 of the internal HO guidance document for HO staff:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... s-v5.0.pdf

Workers
"A worker is an EEA national who is exercising their free movement rights in the UK by working in paid employment on a full-time or part-time basis."

"Assessing whether the EEA national is a worker
While there is no minimum amount of hours which an EEA national must be employed for in order to qualify as a worker, the employment must be genuine and effective and not marginal or supplementary.
[...]
Marginal means the work involves so little time and money that it is unrelated to the lifestyle of the worker. It is supplementary because the worker is clearly spending most of their time on something else, not work."

Look also at the Case Examples on p.13:
"Case example 1
Mr A is a Spanish national and has recently started work on a construction site for 20 hours each week and earns £250 each week. He provides evidence of a contract of employment and bank statements showing funds regularly entering his account. He has recently registered with HMRC for tax purposes. In this scenario, it is more likely than not that Mr A is a genuine worker."

To avoid confusion on the application - when it asks if she's been a student, answer 'No', and then include
a covering letter in your application, where you explain that she was a student at institution x during the
time xy, but that given you're applying to exercise treaty rights as the husband of a worker, this is
irrelevant to the application and therefore you've answered 'No' on the form. That's what I did in my EEA (PR) application - I was a full-time worker but studying part-time for a Postgraduate Diploma, but I
answered 'No' when they asked if I was a student as I was applying as a worker.

So, provided your wife was doing genuine work during those years that she was working part-time and you have the docs to prove it, and provided you're diligent in doing your application - I think you could try to apply for DCPR now, and then exchange the PR card for the Settled Status card next year. Worst case, you'll have lost £65 and you'll need to re-apply. That's probably better than the uncertainty of those 2-3 months gap, and who knows - you may be successful...

chinguiris
BANNED
Columbia

Post by chinguiris » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:18 pm

Are you aware that your counting period to apply for PR starts from the date you got married not from the date stated in your residence card?
I had the same issue and was always told by people and 1 lawyer that i had to wait until family member visa was expired, but i didnt trust so then i went to another firm in london and i was explained properly how it works, based on - http://www.eearegulations.co.uk/Regs201 ... ulation_15 - the qualifying period starts from the date you got married if it was done in the uk, otherwise if you were married before you came here then from your first entry to the uk, then count 5 years and can apply for PR, i did and i got it last august, even tho my visa was going to expire march next year; im sure is much better because all i have to do now is just change it free of charge for the Settled status with no pile of documents to be sent again, so yes is a lot much better to apply from now, and thats what i did... plus faster to apply for naturalisation...

loaiuk
Newly Registered
India

Post by loaiuk » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:34 pm

[quote="Richard W" post_id=1651374 time=1530053531 user_id=80910]
[quote=EEA_question post_id=1650986 time=1530003926 user_id=191266]

A non-EU citizen family member who has not already done so for the purposes of being issued a biometric residence card under the EEA Regulations will need to attend one of our application centres in the UK to enrol their fingerprints and their facial image (to the technical standard required for the image to be reproduced on a biometric residence document: see section 7 “

vahidfar
Newly Registered
Iran

Post by vahidfar » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:01 pm

loaiuk wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:34 pm
Richard W wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:52 pm
EEA_question wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:05 am

A non-EU citizen family member who has not already done so for the purposes of being issued a biometric residence card under the EEA Regulations will need to attend one of our application centres in the UK to enrol their fingerprints and their facial image (to the technical standard required for the image to be reproduced on a biometric residence document: see section 7 “
https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-ci ... led-status

You’ll need a valid passport or national identity card. If you’re from outside the EU, you can use a valid passport or biometric residence card.

"OR"