ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UKM application experience and timeline

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

a_powers
United States of America

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by a_powers » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:44 am

My take (which may be totally wrong) is the option to register within a year only applies to a British controlled territory. In the case South Africa was British controlled at that time. Hopefully an expert can chime in on it.

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:50 pm

a_powers wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:44 am
My take (which may be totally wrong) is the option to register within a year only applies to a British controlled territory. In the case South Africa was British controlled at that time. Hopefully an expert can chime in on it.
I agree, and that was what I got from it, until it was pointed out to me that the respondent in the case, Ms. Romein, was born in 1978 and South Africa was not a commonwealth country from 1962 to 1994. I truly have no idea how the decision is going to be applied. I worked with a solicitor few years ago to get my citizenship. He emailed me after the decision and advised me to submit my application as quick as possible. My impression is he thinks this will apply to my case. I haven’t heard of any applications being approved under this ruling, but it’s worth a shot.

Bdelrizzo
Newly Registered
Mood:
Canada

UKM application (Passport Requirement)

Post by Bdelrizzo » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:33 pm

Hi everyone.

I'm gearing up to submit my UKM application, and was wondering if anyone could let me know if they accept passport copies instead of the original. I travel for work a lot, and I can't give up my passport for 4-6 months. Trying to figure out how to get around this as sending in my passport will create all sorts of work headaches. I have the rest of the docs ready, but the passport is the one thing I really can't send without knowing their turnaround time.

Alternatively, has anyone ever submitted their application in person at the Home Office in Liverpool? Was thinking that might make a good option if it is permitted and they don't have to keep my passport.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: UKM application (Passport Requirement)

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:42 pm

Bdelrizzo wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:33 pm
Hi everyone.

I'm gearing up to submit my UKM application, and was wondering if anyone could let me know if they accept passport copies instead of the original. I travel for work a lot, and I can't give up my passport for 4-6 months. Trying to figure out how to get around this as sending in my passport will create all sorts of work headaches. I have the rest of the docs ready, but the passport is the one thing I really can't send without knowing their turnaround time.

Alternatively, has anyone ever submitted their application in person at the Home Office in Liverpool? Was thinking that might make a good option if it is permitted and they don't have to keep my passport.

You cannot submit your application in person at the Liverpool office. You won't even be allowed into the building. You must post your application and documents as the form states.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sarlouisesmith
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: UKM application (Passport Requirement)

Post by sarlouisesmith » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:42 pm

Bdelrizzo wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:33 pm
Hi everyone.

Hi there!! You can have a color copy of every page of your passport notarized as a true copy of the passport. I did this for the same reason as you mentioned and I just received my approval letter yesterday. I copied every page including the covers and had it notarized as well as a letter stating why I was unable to give up my passport. You will definitely be without your documents for many months because I sent mine away at the end of Feb and just yesterday received them back with an approval letter dated 13 June 2018.

Bdelrizzo
Newly Registered
Mood:
Canada

Post by Bdelrizzo » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:49 pm

Hi there! Thanks for the info! What did your letter say? If you prefer not to post here, feel free to email me directly at email address removed by moderator.

This never occurred to me as a viable option!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:52 pm

Bdelrizzo wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:49 pm
Hi there! Thanks for the info! What did your letter say? If you prefer not to post here, feel free to email me directly at email address removed by moderator.

This never occurred to me as a viable option!
Kindly refrain from posting personal contact information. This is not permitted as we have many scammers and spammers who trawl the forum.

The approval letters merely state your application has been approved and next steps re ceremony.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Bdelrizzo
Newly Registered
Mood:
Canada

Post by Bdelrizzo » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:56 pm

I'm asking about his letter regarding the passport. Not what the approval letter says.

sarlouisesmith
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by sarlouisesmith » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:57 pm

Hi everyone, just wanted to post my timeline so that anyone in the US who applied around the same time as me can be reassured their letter is coming. Thank you so much for posting your own tips and timelines, it was extremely helpful - more so than any other resource including the local county council back in England who had no idea how to help me.

28 Feb 2018: Sent in the application via USPS International Priority from Upstate NY
22 March 2018: Fee charged to my credit card
26 March 2018: Acknowledgement email received with case ID #
22 April 2018: Biometrics enrolment email requesting my available dates 10 days out and my preferred application support center in the US
30 April 2018: Biometric appointment confirmation (email)
8 May 2018: Biometric appointment in Buffalo, NY (you do not need to send in the receipt they give you because the receipt they give you is for Visa applicants, not UKM applicants).
25 June 2018: Return of documents and acceptance letter (via mail, dated 13 June 2018)

sarlouisesmith
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by sarlouisesmith » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:03 pm

Bdelrizzo wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:56 pm
I'm asking about his letter regarding the passport. Not what the approval letter says.

Hi there, I just found a template via Google that said something about it being a true copy of my passport and it had lines for both the notary and for myself to sign and date. I copy and pasted the template into MS Word. The notary signed and stamped the letter acknowledging it as a true copy as well as the color copy of the passport and it was accepted just fine.

Try this site for guidance: third party weblink removed by moderator

Again, I also included a very brief and polite letter stating why I could not send the original passport at this time and that if they needed additional documents or the original then I would submit it ASAP.

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:00 pm

sarlouisesmith wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:57 pm
Hi everyone, just wanted to post my timeline so that anyone in the US who applied around the same time as me can be reassured their letter is coming. Thank you so much for posting your own tips and timelines, it was extremely helpful - more so than any other resource including the local county council back in England who had no idea how to help me.

28 Feb 2018: Sent in the application via USPS International Priority from Upstate NY
22 April 2018: Biometrics enrolment email requesting my available dates 10 days out and my preferred application support center in the US
8 May 2018: Biometric appointment in Buffalo, NY (you do not need to send in the receipt they give you because the receipt they give you is for Visa applicants, not UKM applicants).
25 June 2018: Return of documents and acceptance letter (via mail, dated 13 June 2018)
sarlouisesmith, if you don't mind me asking, what was the basis of your citizenship claim? I've submitted my application, and am applying based on the Supreme Court ruling in February (registration requirement waived for children of British mothers born between 1951 and 1983. Basically my mother was British by descent, but was not allowed to register my birth at the Boston Consulate after I was born). To be honest, I'm hoping to hear of at least one person, with similar circumstances, that has had their application approved. Thank you!

Bdelrizzo
Newly Registered
Mood:
Canada

Post by Bdelrizzo » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:06 am

sarlouisesmith wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:03 pm
Bdelrizzo wrote:

Hi there, I just found a template via Google that said something about it being a true copy of my passport and it had lines for both the notary and for myself to sign and date. I copy and pasted the template into MS Word. The notary signed and stamped the letter acknowledging it as a true copy as well as the color copy of the passport and it was accepted just fine.

Sarlousiesmith: what state are you in? My notary isn't clear on this TRUE COPY directive... :)

sarlouisesmith
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by sarlouisesmith » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:34 pm

Bdelrizzo wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:06 am
sarlouisesmith wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:03 pm
Bdelrizzo wrote:

Sarlousiesmith: what state are you in? My notary isn't clear on this TRUE COPY directive... :)
True copy just means that they are certifying that is a copy of your passport in its entirety with nothing changed or omitted. You’ll need to show them both your actual passport and the photo copy of every page, not just the info and and photo page. It doesn’t mean anything other than, yes this is a photocopy of the passport.

sarlouisesmith
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by sarlouisesmith » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:40 pm

luthersnowak wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:00 pm
sarlouisesmith wrote:

sarlouisesmith, if you don't mind me asking, what was the basis of your citizenship claim? I've submitted my application, and am applying based on the Supreme Court ruling in February (registration requirement waived for children of British mothers born between 1951 and 1983. Basically my mother was British by descent, but was not allowed to register my birth at the Boston Consulate after I was born). To be honest, I'm hoping to hear of at least one person, with similar circumstances, that has had their application approved. Thank you!
Hi there, my mom was born and raised in England to British parents and met and married my American dad in 1980 while he was there in the Air Force. She moved here with him but only as a green card holder (resident alien). She remains a British citizen to this day. I was born in NY State in 1982, which combined with the fact that my mom was born in England made me eligible for the UKM application.

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:24 pm

sarlouisesmith wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:40 pm
luthersnowak wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:00 pm
sarlouisesmith wrote:

Hi there, my mom was born and raised in England to British parents and met and married my American dad in 1980 while he was there in the Air Force. She moved here with him but only as a green card holder (resident alien). She remains a British citizen to this day. I was born in NY State in 1982, which combined with the fact that my mom was born in England made me eligible for the UKM application.
Thank you for the response. Congrats on your approval! I’m hopeful my application will be approved, but I’m a bit skeptical. I went ahead and applied on the recommendation of a solicitor I was working with, but I haven’t heard of the ruling being applied. One person indicated their application was approved after the denial was reviewed under similar circumstances to mine. Thank you again.

Shaun45
South Africa

Post by Shaun45 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:56 pm

Hi all...

I have just sent off my UKM application to UKVI via DHL. It was received and signed for today at UKVI, Liverpool.

Just a quick question on the payment..

I don't have a credit card and only a Standard Bank Maestro Cheque card and I am worried the payment won't go through as it's not a credit card. On the payment form I filled in the card number, expiry date and the three digit security number on the back of the card.

I have made international online purchases in the past to AliExpress and it has always worked. I'm just a bit worried.

Can someone confirm if it will be ok?

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:43 pm

Well, here goes!!

Eligibility criteria: UKM
Nationality: United States
Applying from: Unites States
Method of application: (Postal) USPS/ParcelForce
Date of application: 09/06/2018
Payment method: Credit card
Date of receipt by UKBA: 25/06/2018
Date money gone off account:
Date of acknowledgement: 28/06/2018
Date of letter requesting biometrics:
Biometrics done:
Date of approval:
Date of ceremony:
Date applied for passports:
Date passports received:

Leah68
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Leah68 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:16 pm

Nationality : South African
Current Status : Living in UK on Ancestry Visa

29 May 2018 : Application Posted in UK
30 May 2018 : Application delivered by Recorded Mail
25 June 2018 : Application Fee Deducted
28 June 2018 : Acknowledgement Email received with case ID#

Will update progress.

Giacomo378
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by Giacomo378 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:18 am

matkirk wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:40 pm
Hi all,

I just wanted to share with you my experience applying for British citizenship via the UKM route (I live in Cape Town, South Africa). My application was not a straight-forward one.

I'll just give you a brief overview. My grandfather was born in the UK (Middlesex) in 1910 and my grandmother in Cape Town. They got married in 1944 in Nairobi and my mother was born in 1946 in Tanganyika (Tanzania) whilst my grandfather was working for Barclays bank there. My mom was a British citizen at birth (CUKC). When my mother was four years old they all moved back down to South Africa where she has been ever since (she has never taken out South African citizenship, she is here as a permanent resident).

My mother married my father (who was born in SA) in 1963. I was born in Johannesburg in 1976.

I only heard about the UKM route at the beginning of last year and as my scenario is quite complex and complicated I initiated the services of a UK firm to investigate my chances of applying for citizenship via the UKM route (even though my mother was not born in the UK). To be honest I saw their ad pop up on Facebook, so just took a chance! 8) :D After investigating they sent me quite a lengthy, but impressive report outlining why they believe I had a good chance of success. It all had to do with the status of my mother at birth, where my grandfather was born, the status of Tanganyika at that time as a UK Mandated Territory, me being born before 1983, gender discrimination etc etc. It was quite involved but made for fascinating reading.

Anyway, I applied (via this firm...and they are not cheap let me tell you! :roll: ) in December and I'm pleased to say that today I received notification that my application has been a success!! A whole three months! I'm quite shocked actually...especially after reading here how long some folks here have had to wait (and are still waiting). Anyway, nobody was sure what the outcome would be, as they said mine was a test case.

Needless to say I'm thrilled! Although the letter does say that I can expect to wait twelve weeks before I get the ceremony invitation. According to the lady I liaise with at the UK agency the Home Office is weeks behind in issuing ceremony invitations and there are major delays.

My timeline is as follows:

Nationality: South Africa
Applying from: South Africa, Cape Town
Method of application: Courier - DHL (to agency in UK)
Date of application: 07/12/2015
Date of receipt by UKBA: Application handed in by agency on 11/12/2015
Date money gone off account: 10/12/2015 (via agency)
Date of acknowledgement: 26/01/2016 (letter dated 12/01/2016)
Date of letter requesting biometrics: 26/01/2016 (letter dated 12/01/2016)
Biometrics done: 03/02/2016 in Cape Town
Date of approval: 11/03/2016 (letter dated the 8th)
Date of ceremony: TBA
Date applied for passports: TBA
Date passports received: TBA

Good luck to all those still waiting. 8)
Hi there, could you please tell me the name of the firm? I'm going to apply under the UKF form but I have so many doubts on how to fill it, especially since I live in Italy. A little advice would be of extreme help....

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:34 am

Giacomo378 wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:18 am
matkirk wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:40 pm
Hi all,

I just wanted to share with you my experience applying for British citizenship via the UKM route (I live in Cape Town, South Africa). My application was not a straight-forward one.

I'll just give you a brief overview. My grandfather was born in the UK (Middlesex) in 1910 and my grandmother in Cape Town. They got married in 1944 in Nairobi and my mother was born in 1946 in Tanganyika (Tanzania) whilst my grandfather was working for Barclays bank there. My mom was a British citizen at birth (CUKC). When my mother was four years old they all moved back down to South Africa where she has been ever since (she has never taken out South African citizenship, she is here as a permanent resident).

My mother married my father (who was born in SA) in 1963. I was born in Johannesburg in 1976.

I only heard about the UKM route at the beginning of last year and as my scenario is quite complex and complicated I initiated the services of a UK firm to investigate my chances of applying for citizenship via the UKM route (even though my mother was not born in the UK). To be honest I saw their ad pop up on Facebook, so just took a chance! 8) :D After investigating they sent me quite a lengthy, but impressive report outlining why they believe I had a good chance of success. It all had to do with the status of my mother at birth, where my grandfather was born, the status of Tanganyika at that time as a UK Mandated Territory, me being born before 1983, gender discrimination etc etc. It was quite involved but made for fascinating reading.

Anyway, I applied (via this firm...and they are not cheap let me tell you! :roll: ) in December and I'm pleased to say that today I received notification that my application has been a success!! A whole three months! I'm quite shocked actually...especially after reading here how long some folks here have had to wait (and are still waiting). Anyway, nobody was sure what the outcome would be, as they said mine was a test case.

Needless to say I'm thrilled! Although the letter does say that I can expect to wait twelve weeks before I get the ceremony invitation. According to the lady I liaise with at the UK agency the Home Office is weeks behind in issuing ceremony invitations and there are major delays.

My timeline is as follows:

Nationality: South Africa
Applying from: South Africa, Cape Town
Method of application: Courier - DHL (to agency in UK)
Date of application: 07/12/2015
Date of receipt by UKBA: Application handed in by agency on 11/12/2015
Date money gone off account: 10/12/2015 (via agency)
Date of acknowledgement: 26/01/2016 (letter dated 12/01/2016)
Date of letter requesting biometrics: 26/01/2016 (letter dated 12/01/2016)
Biometrics done: 03/02/2016 in Cape Town
Date of approval: 11/03/2016 (letter dated the 8th)
Date of ceremony: TBA
Date applied for passports: TBA
Date passports received: TBA

Good luck to all those still waiting. 8)
Hi there, could you please tell me the name of the firm? I'm going to apply under the UKF form but I have so many doubts on how to fill it, especially since I live in Italy. A little advice would be of extreme help....
The user posted this in 2016 and was last active on the forum in mid 2017. In addition, members are not permitted to post names of firms or their details on the forum.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:59 pm

luthersnowak wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:43 pm
Well, here goes!!

Nationality: United States
Applying from: Unites States
Method of application: (Postal) USPS/ParcelForce
Date of application: 09/06/2018
Date of receipt by UKBA: 25/06/2018
Date money gone off account:
Date of acknowledgement: 28/06/2018
Date of letter requesting biometrics:
Biometrics done:
Date of approval:
Date of ceremony:
Date applied for passports:
Date passports received:
Is anyone waiting for the fee to be debited from their account? I received an acknowledgement email June 28th, but they haven't debited the fees. From reading other's timelines, It usually comes out before the acknowledgement email or very shortly after. Just curious.

Thanks!

Leah68
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Leah68 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:11 pm

[quote=Leah68 post_id=1652390 time=1530278164 user_id=197801]
Nationality : South African
Current Status : Living in UK on Ancestry Visa

29 May 2018 : Application Posted in UK
30 May 2018 : Application delivered by Recorded Mail
25 June 2018 : Application Fee Deducted
28 June 2018 : Acknowledgement Email received with case ID#
4 July 2018 : Received letter requesting Biometrics
5 July 2018 : Biometrics submitted at UK Post Office

Will update progress.

balles
Somalia

Post by balles » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:01 pm

Eligibility criteria: UKM (based on the Romein v Home Secretary decision)
Nationality: South African
Applying from: South Africa (via agent)
Method of application: Courier
Date of application: 21/05/2018
Date of receipt by UKBA: 23/05/2018
Date money gone off account: 27/06/2018 (it would have been deducted sooner but I had my wallet stolen and had to obviously cancel credit cards and supply new card details to UKVI)
Date of acknowledgement: 06/06/2018

Will keep you updated.

samir thakker
Newly Registered
India

Post by samir thakker » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:26 am

Can anyone help me asa per following detail ?? can I eligible for UKM law??

1) Myself Born in 20th December 1974 in India and residing in india.
2) My mother born in Aden having passport of cukc and now she is residing in London as British citizen.
3) my mother applied in 1998 to home office mumbai with their birth certificate and old passport of CUKC and within week they have issued British overseas passport. after that she moved in london in 2001 after my father died and within one year she got full British citizen.
4) My grantparent has the same CUKC passport.

looking to the above can I Apply UKM??

Thanks & Regards,

Samir Thakker

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:40 am

samir thakker wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:26 am
Can anyone help me asa per following detail ?? can I eligible for UKM law??
You have already been advised extensively in your earlier thread. Please do not duplicate the query because you do not like the answer.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.