ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long to complete my ceremony after receiving approval?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

anujkundarap
Newly Registered
India

Can spouse apply for citizenship with me before completing 12 months on ILR?

Post by anujkundarap » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:58 pm

Hi all,

I got my ILR on 7th July 2017 and hence planning to apply for Citizenship around 7th July 2018.

However, my wife got her ILR just this month as she entered the UK later than me and hence completed 5 years in the UK after me.

I have not seen any rules that prevent her for applying for citizenship with me, as long as I have been ILR for at least 12 months. i.e., my wife will not need to wait for 12 months before applying for citizenship.

Is my understanding correct? Can I include her in my citizenship application?

Thanks and regards,
Anuj

TheRock9
Mood:

Re: Can spouse apply for citizenship with me before completing 12 months on ILR?

Post by TheRock9 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:10 pm

anujkundarap wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:58 pm
Hi all,

I got my ILR on 7th July 2017 and hence planning to apply for Citizenship around 7th July 2018.

However, my wife got her ILR just this month as she entered the UK later than me and hence completed 5 years in the UK after me.

I have not seen any rules that prevent her for applying for citizenship with me, as long as I have been ILR for at least 12 months. i.e., my wife will not need to wait for 12 months before applying for citizenship.

Thanks and regards,
Anuj
Hi,

You can apply for your naturalisation first, once you're naturalised and you attended the ceremony and received the passport then you can apply for your wife naturalisation.

Unfortunately you CAN NOT apply together as you're not British yet.

So as soon as you become British you can apply for her naturalisation (if she qualifies the residence requirement for last 3 years)

Thanks
I am not an immigration lawyer, so comments here are not an advise. My comments are from my own experience and interpretation of information which is available publicly.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Can spouse apply for citizenship with me before completing 12 months on ILR?

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:10 pm

No, your understanding is not correct. There is no 'dependent' concept of citizenship applications. Each applicant must meet the requirements individually on their own.

As she does not have 12 months 'free from immigration time restrictions (ILR)', her application will likely be refused.

She is only exempt from the 12 months if YOU are already British or become British before her 12 months on ILR is complete. You only need to have attended the ceremony and have your naturalisation certificate for her to apply, even on the same day after you have attended your ceremony.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

anujkundarap
Newly Registered
India

Post by anujkundarap » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:25 pm

Thank you for your detailed, quick and helpful responses!

anujkundarap
Newly Registered
India

How long to complete my ceremony after receiving approval?

Post by anujkundarap » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:34 pm

Hi,

I will be eligible to apply for citizenship on July 7th. However, I have planned travel to India in Sept. and the tickets are booked quoting my Indian Passport.

If I apply on July 7th, and receive an approval soon - let’s say 1st Aug) can I book my ceremony in October?

If not, what is the latest I have to complete my ceremony after receiving approval?

On my council website (croydon) it seems to suggest I have 3 months. Please help confirm!

Thanks and regards,
Anuj

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: How long to complete my ceremony after receiving approval?

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:38 pm

You have 90 days to attend your ceremony from approval letter date.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.