ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Comprehensive Health Insurance....HELP

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

MemyselfI
Newly Registered
Ireland

Comprehensive Health Insurance....HELP

Post by MemyselfI » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:51 pm

Hi there, please am looking to do my Comprehensive Health Insurance,

How do I go about it, as in Where do I start?
Can anyone recommend any?

Please I'll appreciate any reply.

Cheers

broli
Member of Standing
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Comprehensive Health Insurance....HELP

Post by broli » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:43 pm

thats the easiest thing

Just select a health insurance of your choice .

Even a basic cover is enough mine was 45 to 60 € you can pay more if you like more cover.
Just make sure it has "basic hospital cover" which means whenever you are sick they will pay you hospital bills.

good luck

arz1986
- thin ice -

Post by arz1986 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:42 pm

i took it 34 euro VHI insurance for me and my mother. it worked for me.

MemyselfI
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by MemyselfI » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:41 pm

arz1986 wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:42 pm
Hi,

Thanks for your prompt reply, much appreciated however it's for me ans my two girls.

joel123
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by joel123 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:11 am

arz1986 wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:42 pm
If you don’t mind, would you kindly specify the name of the plan from VHI please?

I am looking for an Health Insurance policy in Ireland that provides ‘comprehensive sickness cover’ as per the requirements of INIS (Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service).

I’m an EU citizen in Ireland.

I am struggling to find a suitable policy as there are countless policies from the insurance providers and it’s very confusing.

Many thanks 🙂

Iggy4
Mood:
Ireland

Post by Iggy4 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:11 am

If you are EU citizen and you are working in Ireland, by law you dont need to have private health Insurance regarding Irish citizenship application.

joel123
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by joel123 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:19 pm

Iggy4 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:11 am
If you are EU citizen and you are working in Ireland, by law you dont need to have private health Insurance regarding Irish citizenship application.
I am self-sufficient. So am not working at the moment. In order to be able to exercise treaty rights in Ireland as British citizen, I also require a comprehensive medical insurance.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:33 pm

joel123 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:19 pm
Iggy4 wrote:
I am self-sufficient. So am not working at the moment. In order to be able to exercise treaty rights in Ireland as British citizen, I also require a comprehensive medical insurance.
UK is different from the rest of EU countries. UK citizens can live in Ireland without any conditions. Irish citizens can live in the UK as well without any conditions. This is governed by a different law rather than EU Treaty Rights.

However, having a medical insurance is always good. Depending on what level of cover you want (public hospital, semi-private, private, hi-tech) it can vary a lot. An entry level insurance costs somewhere between 30-50 euro. I use Irish Life as it covers free GP telephone/video service, which means you can simply call them to get a prescription for some minor issues. That saves you 50-60 Euro for a physical visit to a GP that lasts no longer than 15 minutes.

joel123
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by joel123 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:20 pm

littlerr wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:33 pm
joel123 wrote:
Iggy4 wrote:
UK is different from the rest of EU countries. UK citizens can live in Ireland without any conditions. Irish citizens can live in the UK as well without any conditions. This is governed by a different law rather than EU Treaty Rights.

However, having a medical insurance is always good. Depending on what level of cover you want (public hospital, semi-private, private, hi-tech) it can vary a lot. An entry level insurance costs somewhere between 30-50 euro. I use Irish Life as it covers free GP telephone/video service, which means you can simply call them to get a prescription for some minor issues. That saves you 50-60 Euro for a physical visit to a GP that lasts no longer than 15 minutes.
Many thanks littlerr for the reply. I actually need this medical insurance in order to tuck the boxes of INIS to be able to bring my non-EEA spouse in Ireland. I classify myself as self-sufficient. So in order to tick all the boxes of eligibility in this category, I also need a ‘comprehensive medical insurance’. This is the only purpose. So it’s better if the premium is as little as possible but most importantly, it should meet the requirements of INIS. The last thing I would want is having a medical insurance and being toils by INIS that it is not comprehensive, and so does not meet the minimum criteria of a self-sufficient person.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:04 pm

joel123 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:20 pm
littlerr wrote:
joel123 wrote:
Iggy4 wrote:

Many thanks littlerr for the reply. I actually need this medical insurance in order to tuck the boxes of INIS to be able to bring my non-EEA spouse in Ireland. I classify myself as self-sufficient. So in order to tick all the boxes of eligibility in this category, I also need a ‘comprehensive medical insurance’. This is the only purpose. So it’s better if the premium is as little as possible but most importantly, it should meet the requirements of INIS. The last thing I would want is having a medical insurance and being toils by INIS that it is not comprehensive, and so does not meet the minimum criteria of a self-sufficient person.
Alright that's easy :) There are 2 different types of plans. A comprehensive plan means the plan is contributing to the hospital. On the other hand, a cash plan is a plan that only contributes to the insurer.

Cash plans are normally very cheap - around 10-30 euro per month. In return, they give you some money back every time you use GP etc. Cash plans are not counted as real health insurances and do not contribute towards Lifetime Community Ratings (LCR). I don't understand why anyone would pay for these plans, because the amount that they pay out to you is always less than the amount that you pay to them.

Comprehensive plans pay money to hospitals if you need to use a hospital service. Therefore they are relatively more expensive - the cheapest ones are normally around 30-40 euro per month, depending on a variety of reasons (ages, LCR, smoker or not etc). They cover far more things when you need to really go to a hospital to undertake a scan, treatment, surgery etc. The cheaper end of the plans don't normally cover GP visits. They also have a waiting period. Normally you cannot claim anything in the first 6 months.

There are only 3 main providers in Ireland, so let's just go through them one by one.

Using an example of a 26-year-old with no pre-existing conditions:

https://www.irishlifehealth.ie/ The main page should give you a quick quote. The cheapest starts at 42 euro.
https://www.layahealthcare.ie The "Assure Protect" on their main page is the default cheapest option, starting at 39.34 euro.
https://www.vhi.ie/find-a-plan The cheapest is "Start Plan", starting at 36.66 euro.

All plans above are comprehensive plans.

If in doubt, you can always give them a quick call asking them whether the plan you want to purchase is a cash plan.

joel123
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by joel123 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:36 pm

littlerr wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:04 pm
joel123 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:20 pm
littlerr wrote:
joel123 wrote:

Alright that's easy :) There are 2 different types of plans. A comprehensive plan means the plan is contributing to the hospital. On the other hand, a cash plan is a plan that only contributes to the insurer.

Cash plans are normally very cheap - around 10-30 euro per month. In return, they give you some money back every time you use GP etc. Cash plans are not counted as real health insurances and do not contribute towards Lifetime Community Ratings (LCR). I don't understand why anyone would pay for these plans, because the amount that they pay out to you is always less than the amount that you pay to them.

Comprehensive plans pay money to hospitals if you need to use a hospital service. Therefore they are relatively more expensive - the cheapest ones are normally around 30-40 euro per month, depending on a variety of reasons (ages, LCR, smoker or not etc). They cover far more things when you need to really go to a hospital to undertake a scan, treatment, surgery etc. The cheaper end of the plans don't normally cover GP visits. They also have a waiting period. Normally you cannot claim anything in the first 6 months.

There are only 3 main providers in Ireland, so let's just go through them one by one.

Using an example of a 26-year-old with no pre-existing conditions:

https://www.irishlifehealth.ie/ The main page should give you a quick quote. The cheapest starts at 42 euro.
https://www.layahealthcare.ie The "Assure Protect" on their main page is the default cheapest option, starting at 39.34 euro.
https://www.vhi.ie/find-a-plan The cheapest is "Start Plan", starting at 36.66 euro.

All plans above are comprehensive plans.

If in doubt, you can always give them a quick call asking them whether the plan you want to purchase is a cash plan.

Dear littlerr, thank you so much for your time in replying to my query and I truly appreciate this comprehensive reply 🙂 thank you...thank you...thank you..