ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bank statements for Maintenance funds..Please help!! Urgent!

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jcs

Bank statements for Maintenance funds..Please help!! Urgent!

Post by jcs » Sat May 03, 2008 5:07 am

I plan to apply for Tier 1 (General) from India in this month. Could you all please help me with the below questions that I have?

1. As evidence for claiming points for Maintenance Funds, is it mandatory to provide a letter from the bank? I will be submitting the original bank statements, but I am finding it a bit difficult to get a letter from the bank since I am in India and I am showing evidence of funds from my UK bank account. Would the original bank statements be sufficient?

2. Is it required to get the bank statements stamped from the bank or would a notary stamp in India be valid? Again I have this problem since the statements are from my UK bank account and getting them stamped from the bank would be difficult whilst I am here in India.

3. In case of internet statements, is it mandatory to provide a letter from the bank confirming the document authenticity? Again can I go for a notary stamp in India instead?

Please can you all help / advise urgently?
Thanks!

kaushal316

Post by kaushal316 » Sat May 03, 2008 5:25 am

Hi,

response to your queries:

1. It is not mandatory to provide bank letter. Original bank statements should be fine. However, it would help if you can get a letter from the bank. I had to fight a lot with ICICI bank to issue such letter. Eventually they issued it after i treathened to close my account.

2. If they are original bank statements, there is no need to get them stamped.

3. Internet statements are accepted for maintenence funds. But i would recommend to get them stamped and signed from bank via some of your colleagues in UK.

Please note in case of bank statements, natory stamp in india will not be accepted.

Cheers,
Kaushal

hsmpinuk70
Member of Standing

Post by hsmpinuk70 » Sat May 03, 2008 5:36 pm

Original bank statements do not require any stamp / signatures.
UK bank statements cannot be notarized in India.
Internet printouts of accounts require signature and stamp.
Read the Tier 1 guidelines - if you have original bank statements, there might be no need for a letter from bank.

regards

shubi81

Post by shubi81 » Sun May 04, 2008 6:27 am

Hi guys,
have u gone thru the PBS Main Guidance.doc ? its clearly mentioned that internet statements are acceptable for maintenance req , but nowhr its mentioned that u shud stamp them by the bank . Thr are some criterias, which needs to be fulfilled ..thats it .

JCS , ur case is similar to mine , I'll be showing my US Bank A/C & I dont have any paper statement also , all I have is online statements ..but those satisfies the criteria laid down ..

Thanks
Shubi
hsmpinuk70 wrote:Original bank statements do not require any stamp / signatures.
UK bank statements cannot be notarized in India.
Internet printouts of accounts require signature and stamp.
Read the Tier 1 guidelines - if you have original bank statements, there might be no need for a letter from bank.

regards

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Mon May 05, 2008 2:49 am

Guys,

It is entirely up to you to not give the case worker any reason to refuse your application. Make sure the documents you provide with your application meet the criteria to the T !!

e.g. the internet printouts of your bank accounts must show the following:
• the applicant’s name;
• the account number;
• the date of the statement;
• the financial institution’s name and logo;
• transactions covering the three month period;
• that there are sufficient funds present in the account
i.e. the balance must always be at least £800;
• the receipt of funds along with regular withdrawals from
the account, where appropriate.
If the applicant wishes to submit electronic bank statements from an online account these must contain all of the details listed above. In addition, the applicant will need to provide a supporting letter from their bank, on company headed paper, confirming the authenticity of the statements provided.

Remember, they (BIA) won't lose anything ..... but you will lose 750 quids, time and, more importantly, your peace of mind :roll: .

Don't rubbish the advice given by experienced members. They have been through what you are just embarking on.

regards

jcs

Post by jcs » Mon May 05, 2008 9:07 am

Kaushal, hsmpinuk70 & sushdmehta
Many thanks for your valuable comments and insights. I completely understand that it is in our hands not to give the assessing officer any reason to refuse our application. However I am finding it difficult to get a letter from my UK bank since they say it is not a usual request. Things might have been easier had I been there and spoken to them face-to-face. Do you think it would be acceptable if I get the internet statements stamped and signed for authenticity (instead of a letter)? Also for the maintenance requirement I hope to get the statements stamped and signed by the bank through one of my colleagues there. Would that be alright? Is it required to explain this in the covering letter?

Shubi, I guess you too should look into getting the bank's official stamp and signature on your US bank a/c statements.

Thanks!

shubi81

Post by shubi81 » Mon May 05, 2008 10:52 am

Hi Sushd,
I appreciate your suggestion, but could you pls let me know whr its written that "In addition, the applicant will need to provide a supporting letter from their bank, on company headed paper, confirming the authenticity of the statements provided" ??

For my case , its just not possible to get a letter from bank, but I can prove authenticity thru other means , like I can provide another bank's statement which shows a withdrawl & the same amount deposited in my US bank.(the bank that I am claiming ) & another means also , I can give my original US driving license , & the permanent address matches with that of my statement.

But again, I would appreciate if you could provide me the link what you are claiming !
sushdmehta wrote:Guys,

It is entirely up to you to not give the case worker any reason to refuse your application. Make sure the documents you provide with your application meet the criteria to the T !!

e.g. the internet printouts of your bank accounts must show the following:
• the applicant’s name;
• the account number;
• the date of the statement;
• the financial institution’s name and logo;
• transactions covering the three month period;
• that there are sufficient funds present in the account
i.e. the balance must always be at least £800;
• the receipt of funds along with regular withdrawals from
the account, where appropriate.
If the applicant wishes to submit electronic bank statements from an online account these must contain all of the details listed above. In addition, the applicant will need to provide a supporting letter from their bank, on company headed paper, confirming the authenticity of the statements provided.

Remember, they (BIA) won't lose anything ..... but you will lose 750 quids, time and, more importantly, your peace of mind :roll: .

Don't rubbish the advice given by experienced members. They have been through what you are just embarking on.

regards

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Mon May 05, 2008 11:03 am

Shubi.,

It is not me who is claiming anything ... but the BIA who is asking for what I have mentioned above. Looks like you yourself have not paid any attention to what's in the guidance notes / BIA website .. but are advising others with incorrect information.

Please see (and read carefully :D ) http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... intenance/ or go through para 192 (point 1) of the Tier 1 guidance notes.

Hope it helps.

regards

hussainkothari
Member of Standing

Post by hussainkothari » Mon May 05, 2008 1:36 pm

Hi All,

For maintainance funds, they require bank stmts for the last 3 months exactly before/on the day you apply. It is not possible to get originals or get them stamped in this case. I guess this is why they are ok with internet stmts as well.

In my opinion online stmts would do.

hsmpinuk70
Member of Standing

Post by hsmpinuk70 » Mon May 05, 2008 2:24 pm

As given on page 27 of the guidance notes, "Until 29 June 2008, they do not need to cover the three-month period, but they must be dated no more than a month before your application".

Suggest that you check with VFS / BHC / BIA directly and get a confirmation from their end.

regards
hussainkothari wrote:Hi All,

For maintainance funds, they require bank stmts for the last 3 months exactly before/on the day you apply. It is not possible to get originals or get them stamped in this case. I guess this is why they are ok with internet stmts as well.

In my opinion online stmts would do.

jcs

Post by jcs » Tue May 06, 2008 6:05 am

hussainkothari,
Are you sure that for Maintenance funds the statements have to be 3 months exactly from the date of application? To be more precise, does it mean that if the date of my application is tomorrow, 7th May 2008, then my bank statements have to be from 6th March 2008 to 6th May 2008? Can you all please confirm this? If that is the case then it is not possible to get originals like you said. But even for online statements it would not be possible to get them stamped as I am planning to submit my UK bank statements. However the BIA website have clearly mentioned that for online statements the applicant will need to provide a supporting letter from the bank confirming their authenticity. In my case it would not be possible to get the letter nor the bank stamp. Can someone please help or advice?

Thanks!

hussainkothari
Member of Standing

Post by hussainkothari » Tue May 06, 2008 7:01 am

Hi jcs,

I have gathered this from the thread http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 300#165300

Also, I think it is perfectly ok to submit online bank stmts for maintenance funds.

The HO cannot reject it on the bases that it is not authentic as they have mentioned it on the website and guidance notes for online bank stmts.
Also, you online bank smts would have all the details for them to verify if they have a doubt.

I will be submitting my application this week with online bank stmts.

shubi81

Post by shubi81 » Tue May 06, 2008 3:54 pm

Mehta,
It seems , you haven't read the full doc !! Its clearly written "Internet statements are acceptable provided they have the above information" .

I am not advising anything to others , I say what I know & believe in , I believe if you have valid point , nothing goes in vain .
Good luck everyone , I'll be submitting online statements only !!
sushdmehta wrote:Shubi.,

It is not me who is claiming anything ... but the BIA who is asking for what I have mentioned above. Looks like you yourself have not paid any attention to what's in the guidance notes / BIA website .. but are advising others with incorrect information.

Please see (and read carefully :D ) http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... intenance/ or go through para 192 (point 1) of the Tier 1 guidance notes.

Hope it helps.

regards

segs2tier1

Post by segs2tier1 » Tue May 06, 2008 9:38 pm

jcs wrote:hussainkothari,
Are you sure that for Maintenance funds the statements have to be 3 months exactly from the date of application? To be more precise, does it mean that if the date of my application is tomorrow, 7th May 2008, then my bank statements have to be from 6th March 2008 to 6th May 2008? Can you all please confirm this? If that is the case then it is not possible to get originals like you said. But even for online statements it would not be possible to get them stamped as I am planning to submit my UK bank statements. However the BIA website have clearly mentioned that for online statements the applicant will need to provide a supporting letter from the bank confirming their authenticity. In my case it would not be possible to get the letter nor the bank stamp. Can someone please help or advice?

Thanks!
It says the following:

Because this is a new requirement and it may be difficult to prove this immediately, we have put transitional arrangements in place for applicants and their family members submitting their applications within the United Kingdom up to and including 29 June 2008.

Up to 29 June 2008, you do not have to show you have had the funds for at least three months before your application. You must only show you have the required funds at the time you apply. The types of documents you need to send to support your application are detailed below. Until 29 June 2008, they do not need to cover the three-month period, but they must be dated no more than a month before your application.

For example, if you apply under Tier 1 (General) on 12 June, a single bank statement with a closing balance of £800 dated between 12 May and 12 June will meet the maintenance requirements. A bank statement dated before 12 May will not be acceptable.

Hope this helps ;)

push

Post by push » Tue May 06, 2008 11:59 pm

Guys we have been through all this. Though it seems tempting to provide the least amount of info/dox as per the guidance notes BUT it does not hurt to provide some additional information. Case workers have a habit of making mistakes and it is always advisable therefore, not to leave any loophole.

EC applications in India have been rejected on the grounds that the main applicant did not apply for the EC of his family members as in view of the case worker it did not demonstrate the intention of the applicant to settle in UK under HSMP. I have also seen cases where they rejected EC applications after failing to reconcile salary slips of the applicant with the bank statements of the sponsor !!

The point is, it is for us to demonstrate to the case worker that everything is in order. For a case worker it takes slightest of the doubt to reject the application and the appeal process is looooong !!

I do not intend to scare anyone here and as shubi81 said he/she intends to apply using the online statements, it is his/her personal choice but again it does not hurt to be on the safer side and follow what ppl like sushdmehta have to say.

regards,

push_hsmp
Last edited by push on Wed May 07, 2008 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vineet_sn
Newly Registered

Maintenance Fund lying in joint A/c

Post by vineet_sn » Wed May 07, 2008 7:19 am

Hi,

I have Maintenance Funds with me but they are held in Joint A/C(Me and My Wife are Holder). Kindly suggest if joint A/c can create any problem??

Please can you all help / advise urgently?

Thanks,
Vineet

iluvuparis

Main Funds

Post by iluvuparis » Wed May 07, 2008 9:34 am

hi JCS, even i'm in a similar situation like you.. Basically am in india now but showing UK Bank balance as proof of Maintenance funds..
However i've got a letter from UK Bank (HSBC) trying from here in India.. Make them understand that it is a mandatory reqt to get this letter for HOme Office requts.. they will definitely give u..

You tell them that you are currenly in inida on a vacation and will return surely bak to UK within a month.. Try..keep trying.. you will definitely get it

jcs

Post by jcs » Wed May 07, 2008 11:40 am

iluvuparis, I am also currently in India. But instead of the letter, I plan to get my UK bank statements stamped and signed by the bank for authenticity through my friend in UK. I believe that should serve the purpose. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

jagacharaja

Post by jagacharaja » Wed May 07, 2008 10:09 pm

Agreed. It's in one's benefit to go the extra mile to make things as easy as possible for the case worker. They're getting paid either way, it's you who stands to loose the money and peace of mind.

Shubi - most US banks have the option to request a paper statement. They might charge some amount for sending you backdated paper statements, but it might be worth the hassle as opposed to the risk of having your Tier 1 app denied.
push_hsmp wrote:Guys we have been through all this. Though it seems tempting to provide the least amount of info/dox as per the guidance notes BUT it does not hurt to provide some additional information. Case workers have a habit of making mistakes and it is always advisable therefore, not to leave any loophole.

EC applications in India have been rejected on the grounds that the main applicant did not apply for the EC of his family members as in view of the case worker it did not demonstrate the intention of the applicant to settle in UK under HSMP. I have also seen cases where they rejected EC applications after failing to reconcile salary slips of the applicant with the bank statements of the sponsor !!

The point is, it is for us to demonstrate to the case worker that everything is in order. For a case worker it takes slightest of the doubt to reject the application and the appeal process is looooong !!

I do not tend to scare anyone here and as shubi81 said he/she intends to apply using the online statements, it is his/her personal choice but again it does not hurt to be on the safer side and follow what ppl like sushdmehta have to say.

regards,

push_hsmp

shubi81

Post by shubi81 » Thu May 08, 2008 2:30 pm

Hi , I have requested for the paper statement , but only that I cant wait for so long . They'll ship to one of my frnd thr & he'll send to me .
I have my VFS appointment in nxt week .
I think , if i mention that I will have the paper statement shortly & if needed I can produce them ...nevertheless I am trying to make my case strong without the paper statement by providing alternate evidences.

Thanks
Shubi
jagacharaja wrote:Agreed. It's in one's benefit to go the extra mile to make things as easy as possible for the case worker. They're getting paid either way, it's you who stands to loose the money and peace of mind.

Shubi - most US banks have the option to request a paper statement. They might charge some amount for sending you backdated paper statements, but it might be worth the hassle as opposed to the risk of having your Tier 1 app denied.
push_hsmp wrote:Guys we have been through all this. Though it seems tempting to provide the least amount of info/dox as per the guidance notes BUT it does not hurt to provide some additional information. Case workers have a habit of making mistakes and it is always advisable therefore, not to leave any loophole.

I do not tend to scare anyone here and as shubi81 said he/she intends to apply using the online statements, it is his/her personal choice but again it does not hurt to be on the safer side and follow what ppl like sushdmehta have to say.

regards,

push_hsmp

push

Post by push » Sat May 10, 2008 8:49 am

That seems reasonable.

All the best Shubhi

regards,

push_hsmp

arunkumarprs

Post by arunkumarprs » Sun May 11, 2008 1:21 am

This is confusing...
"For example, if you apply under Tier 1 (General) on 12 June, a single bank statement with a closing balance of £800 dated between 12 May and 12 June will meet the maintenance requirements. A bank statement dated before 12 May will not be acceptable. "

If i want to apply on June 12th, then how can i get a bank statement till June 12th.... It will take at least a weeks time to get the banks statement...

Can some one explain me if i'm wrong....

Cheers
Arun

segs2tier1 wrote:

Thanks!
It says the following:

Because this is a new requirement and it may be difficult to prove this immediately, we have put transitional arrangements in place for applicants and their family members submitting their applications within the United Kingdom up to and including 29 June 2008.

Up to 29 June 2008, you do not have to show you have had the funds for at least three months before your application. You must only show you have the required funds at the time you apply. The types of documents you need to send to support your application are detailed below. Until 29 June 2008, they do not need to cover the three-month period, but they must be dated no more than a month before your application.

For example, if you apply under Tier 1 (General) on 12 June, a single bank statement with a closing balance of £800 dated between 12 May and 12 June will meet the maintenance requirements. A bank statement dated before 12 May will not be acceptable.

Hope this helps ;)

rahsmp

Post by rahsmp » Sun May 11, 2008 8:05 am

answer is in your query only that is statement dated any were between May12 to June 12 is acceptable if you are applying on June 12

-Ra
arunkumarprs wrote:This is confusing...
"For example, if you apply under Tier 1 (General) on 12 June, a single bank statement with a closing balance of £800 dated between 12 May and 12 June will meet the maintenance requirements. A bank statement dated before 12 May will not be acceptable. "

If i want to apply on June 12th, then how can i get a bank statement till June 12th.... It will take at least a weeks time to get the banks statement...

Cheers
Arun

segs2tier1 wrote:

Thanks!
It says the following:

Hope this helps ;)

hussainkothari
Member of Standing

Post by hussainkothari » Sun May 11, 2008 7:24 pm

Hi arunkumarprs,

In my opinion, this is exactly why the HO is allowing us to submit online bank stmts for maintainance funds.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... intenance/

rahsmp

Post by rahsmp » Sun May 11, 2008 9:25 pm

I also want add some thing here that I have applied on 9th April 2008 and I have given the bank statements for Maintanance up to March31st and my application is approved.
rahsmp wrote:answer is in your query only that is statement dated any were between May12 to June 12 is acceptable if you are applying on June 12

-Ra
arunkumarprs wrote:This is confusing...

Cheers
Arun

segs2tier1 wrote:

Thanks!
It says the following:

Hope this helps ;)