ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Conflict between CoS and Tier 4 visa.

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

headset499
Newly Registered
United States of America

Conflict between CoS and Tier 4 visa.

Post by headset499 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:43 pm

I am a US citizen and a PhD student in the UK, but would like to play a week of UK gigs with my band which is based in the USA and whose members are all American citizens. I am the only one with a UK visa. The group requires a CoS (certificate of sponsorship) to travel to the UK for performances, paid or unpaid.

I am aware that the laws governing Tier 4 work activities prohibit being 'employed as an entertainer', as well as being self-employed, though full time work is permitted outside of term time (the gigs would be scheduled for July and August, 2019).

Does anyone have a sense of how risky it would be to attempt a music tour of the UK while on a Tier 4 visa?
Would my involvement in the CoS application increase or reduce this risk? Do certified sponsors even check visa and immigration records?

New to the forum, so please forgive any bad etiquette. Grateful for any advice.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Conflict between CoS and Tier 4 visa.

Post by sah10406 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:51 am

headset499 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:43 pm
Does anyone have a sense of how risky it would be to attempt a music tour of the UK while on a Tier 4 visa?
Very. You cannot do that type of work under the Tier 4 visa conditions.
headset499 wrote:
Would my involvement in the CoS application increase or reduce this risk?
It is not really relevant.
headset499 wrote:
Do certified sponsors even check visa and immigration records?
Assume yes.

The only way you can do this lawfully is to return to the US to apply for the relevant work visa with the rest of the group,which would replace your Tier 4 visa. If it is a Tier 2 visa, you can then make a new Tier 4 application in the UK to complete your PhD, on the basis of paragraph 120A(a)(ii) of Appendix A of the immigration rules.

Whether you would need to formally interrupt your studies to undertake the sponsored work is a question for your Tier 4 sponsor.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.