ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen Visa for Non-EU Spouse Flight Ticket & Multiple Entry

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

marty159
Newly Registered
India

Schengen Visa for Non-EU Spouse Flight Ticket & Multiple Entry

Post by marty159 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:03 pm

Hi,

I could not find any threads similar to my situation and hence my queries here. Would appreciate your advice/thoughts.

I'm a British citizen and we applied for schengen visa for my non EU wife through an application processing centre(not consulate) in England using the EE/UK Spouse route.

We were told at the application processing centre that they would only accept flight ticket from the airline. We had bought tickets through a tour operator but were unable to get the flight ticket or booking confirmation from the associated airline as the flight was a chartered flight. So we submitted the flight itinerary from tour operator, flight confirmation & flight invoice from the tour operator, an email copy confirming that the appropriate flight number on travel date is operated by the tour operator.

But I was told this is not enough and the application processing centre added an additional sheet saying the application is not complete but the candidate wants to submit the application.

We were also told that we had to change our preference from Mutiple Entry to Single Entry as it's less than 14 days. But we did not make this change and left it to our preference of Multiple Entry. They added a note for this also.

We added a hand written covering letter explaining the reason we were unable to provide Booking Confirmation from airline was because it's a chartered flight and listed the documents provided. We also added we have selected Multiple Entry option as that was our preferred option as we plan to visit the same country again.

Can someone let me know if they can refuse or delay the visa on the above basis?

I have 4.5 weeks before my departure date - if they delay/refuse it I stand to lose money on flights, accommodation as they are all confirmed and cannot be cancelled.

Choc-Ice
Nigeria

Re: Schengen Visa for Non-EU Spouse Flight Ticket & Multiple Entry

Post by Choc-Ice » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:08 am

Hi,

I don't think you have cause to worry. I booked a 2 days trip via Ryan air ( :wink: ) to go with my Son (British citizen) to Germany and had my passport back with multiple entry Visa on it. As long you're married and provided the required proof, they should grant you entry.

Always nice to put a cover letter to explain, I also do and I find this works well. Depending on which country you applied, should take 5-7 days. All the best.
marty159 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:03 pm
Hi,

I could not find any threads similar to my situation and hence my queries here. Would appreciate your advice/thoughts.

I'm a British citizen and we applied for schengen visa for my non EU wife through an application processing centre(not consulate) in England using the EE/UK Spouse route.

We were told at the application processing centre that they would only accept flight ticket from the airline. We had bought tickets through a tour operator but were unable to get the flight ticket or booking confirmation from the associated airline as the flight was a chartered flight. So we submitted the flight itinerary from tour operator, flight confirmation & flight invoice from the tour operator, an email copy confirming that the appropriate flight number on travel date is operated by the tour operator.

But I was told this is not enough and the application processing centre added an additional sheet saying the application is not complete but the candidate wants to submit the application.

We were also told that we had to change our preference from Mutiple Entry to Single Entry as it's less than 14 days. But we did not make this change and left it to our preference of Multiple Entry. They added a note for this also.

We added a hand written covering letter explaining the reason we were unable to provide Booking Confirmation from airline was because it's a chartered flight and listed the documents provided. We also added we have selected Multiple Entry option as that was our preferred option as we plan to visit the same country again.

Can someone let me know if they can refuse or delay the visa on the above basis?

I have 4.5 weeks before my departure date - if they delay/refuse it I stand to lose money on flights, accommodation as they are all confirmed and cannot be cancelled.
IMpossible is 2 letters to long!

marty159
Newly Registered
India

Post by marty159 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:44 am

That's very reassuring to know - thanks Choc-Ice for sharing.

Choc-Ice wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:08 am
Hi,

I don't think you have cause to worry. I booked a 2 days trip via Ryan air ( :wink: ) to go with my Son (British citizen) to Germany and had my passport back with multiple entry Visa on it. As long you're married and provided the required proof, they should grant you entry.

Always nice to put a cover letter to explain, I also do and I find this works well. Depending on which country you applied, should take 5-7 days. All the best.

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:03 pm

Do not take into account what anyone tells you in the application center.
They probably do not know the directive and your rights.

The embassy can do whatever they want.
However it is unlikely that it will be a problem especially because you live in Britain.

Email the consulate if you have any worries but I'd say do not worry.
Even if you were refuse for whatever reason, you can always get in touch with embassy and go there in person to make an application.
marty159 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:03 pm
Hi,

marty159
Newly Registered
India

Post by marty159 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:34 pm

Good to know - thanks Caravel88

It's frustrating that the application processing centre are not keeping things inline with the directive. The processing centre operated by the same company for same schengen country in different cities treat flight ticket requirement differently - the one we went will only accept flight ticket issued by airlines even though the one in London says no mention of this and says only proof of joint tickets / confirmed ticket with no mention of airline.

I'm glad these forums exist and there are people such as yourself and many others here who advise and share information to help people in need.
Caravel88 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:03 pm
Do not take into account what anyone tells you in the application center.
They probably do not know the directive and your rights.

The embassy can do whatever they want.
However it is unlikely that it will be a problem especially because you live in Britain.

Email the consulate if you have any worries but I'd say do not worry.
Even if you were refuse for whatever reason, you can always get in touch with embassy and go there in person to make an application.

marty159
Newly Registered
India

Post by marty159 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:29 am

Hi,

We have had an email from the application processing centre company in Edinburgh saying the application is on HOLD due to the following missing documents.

1. Original Marriage certificate in Hindu
2. Flight Booking confirmation directly from the airline website

We submitted the documents in Manchester.

Could we contact the Consulate in Edinburgh directly and explain we already submitted the original marriage certificate(it was in English - the staff at application processing centre saw the original and kept the copy with the application) and I am unable to provide the Flight booking confirmation directly from Airline as it's a chartered flight and I have already provided the invoice & itinerary from your operator, flight confirmation email from airline and my British husband will be accompanying me for the entire trip.

Can someone help?

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:33 am

Hi marty159,

You could try contacting them.
Best thing would be to call and speak and ask for advice.

Clearly the visa processing centre is doing best they can to cause you issues here.
It is unacceptable that they did not post your marriage cert. in English.
marty159 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:29 am
Hi,

We have had an email from the application processing centre company in Edinburgh saying the application is on HOLD due to the following missing documents.

1. Original Marriage certificate in Hindu
2. Flight Booking confirmation directly from the airline website

We submitted the documents in Manchester.

Could we contact the Consulate in Edinburgh directly and explain we already submitted the original marriage certificate(it was in English - the staff at application processing centre saw the original and kept the copy with the application) and I am unable to provide the Flight booking confirmation directly from Airline as it's a chartered flight and I have already provided the invoice & itinerary from your operator, flight confirmation email from airline and my British husband will be accompanying me for the entire trip.

Can someone help?

marty159
Newly Registered
India

Post by marty159 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:07 pm

Thanks Caravel88. Will do.

Do you know if the application processing centre company in Edinburgh would have the authority to issue the visas on behalf of the consulate?

If it's the consulate who issues the visa always - we can also try explaining the application processing centre in Edinburgh through email that the marriage certificate we already provided in English is the only marriage certificate we have and we do not have any other document in HINDU. The same original certificate in English has been seen by the staff(will also include the name) at the application processing centre and a copy has been submitted with the application. I have used the same marriage certificate when I previously got the schengen visa at the same consulate. I will also explain the circumstances around my flight booking and that I have already included a supporting letter for the same. Will also confirm that the myself(husband) who is a British citizen will be accompanying my wife the entire trip. We will request him to forward the application to the consulate so they can process it.

Is it worth pointing out that my wife is applying through EU Spouse route and as per the 2004/38/EC directive -

2. Family members who are not nationals of a Member State shall only be required to have an entry visa in accordance with Regulation (EC) No 539/2001 or, where appropriate, with national law. For the purposes of this Directive, possession of the valid residence card referred to in Article 10 shall exempt such family members from the visa requirement.
Member States shall grant such persons every facility to obtain the necessary visas. Such visas shall be issued free of charge as soon as possible and on the basis of an accelerated procedure.
Caravel88 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:33 am
Hi marty159,

Clearly the visa processing centre is doing best they can to cause you issues here.

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:10 pm

The application centre has no authority to whatsoever.
Their only job and duty is to enter your data into the system and submit it to the embassy.

I would point it out to them in simple terms that:

- You submitted the right marriage certificate and they did not send it correctly
- You have previously got a visa with the same documents
- And you are applying under the directive

I'd also still contact the embassy to ask for advise about the misdoings of the application centre and also tell them the same things.
marty159 wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:07 pm
Thanks Caravel88. Will do.

Do you know if the application processing centre company in Edinburgh would have the authority to issue the visas on behalf of the consulate?

If it's the consulate who issues the visa always - we can also try explaining the application processing centre in Edinburgh through email that the marriage certificate we already provided in English is the only marriage certificate we have and we do not have any other document in HINDU. The same original certificate in English has been seen by the staff(will also include the name) at the application processing centre and a copy has been submitted with the application. I have used the same marriage certificate when I previously got the schengen visa at the same consulate. I will also explain the circumstances around my flight booking and that I have already included a supporting letter for the same. Will also confirm that the myself(husband) who is a British citizen will be accompanying my wife the entire trip. We will request him to forward the application to the consulate so they can process it.

Is it worth pointing out that my wife is applying through EU Spouse route and as per the 2004/38/EC directive -

2. Family members who are not nationals of a Member State shall only be required to have an entry visa in accordance with Regulation (EC) No 539/2001 or, where appropriate, with national law. For the purposes of this Directive, possession of the valid residence card referred to in Article 10 shall exempt such family members from the visa requirement.
Member States shall grant such persons every facility to obtain the necessary visas. Such visas shall be issued free of charge as soon as possible and on the basis of an accelerated procedure.
Caravel88 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:33 am
Hi marty159,

marty159
Newly Registered
India

Post by marty159 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:53 pm

Thanks Caravel88 - your advice is much appreciated.

We have sent the email and have kept it simple. I will call the consulate on Monday.
Caravel88 wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:10 pm
Their only job and duty is to enter your data into the system and submit it to the embassy.

- You submitted the right marriage certificate and they did not send it correctly

I'd also still contact the embassy to ask for advise about the misdoings of the application centre and also tell them the same things.

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am

Best of luck marry.
Please keep us posted with the news.
marty159 wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:53 pm
Thanks Caravel88 - your advice is much appreciated.

We have sent the email and have kept it simple. I will call the consulate on Monday.
Caravel88 wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:10 pm

marty159
Newly Registered
India

Post by marty159 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:41 pm

The visa application processing centre has emailed back requesting the same two documents after our email. They are not taking our explanations into consideration even after speaking to them on phone and explaining. They keep insisting that these are being requested by the consulate.

We called the consulate directly - they say they can't help as it was applied through the processing company and any queries should be directed to the processing company and put the phone down. I tried calling again, spoke to a different person this time and also tried explaining that the processing company are asking for documents which we don't have and they are not taking our explanation/clarification. I also tried pointing out that we are applying through EU Spouse route and I'm a British citizen. The consulate person told us U.K. has not signed the schengen travel agreement and said he can't help and then put the phone down.

@Caravel88 - any suggestions?

Would emailing the consulate help?

Can someone help me with what to put in the email to consulate in regards to the directive that we come under for our circumstances to get a result?

I take it I can't contact SOLVIT yet as they have not made a decision.

I know they can't reject on the basis for not producing a a document/confirmation from airline directly. It looks like they have taken down the approach of requesting a a document(original marriage certificate in HINDU) that does not exist.

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:44 pm

If I were you, I would give the stupid processing company what they want without explanation.

If they request the same again, I would pull my application immediately, and get an appointment from the embassy.

If the embassy tells you that because you applied via processing company, then they won't help. So no need to waste time.

Either:

a) provide processing company what they need, and wait
b) pull your application and get an appointment from the embassy

What documents are they exactly requesting from you?

You could also try contacting a manager in the processing company, that is, call and request to speak to someone and make complaint and tell them you will also complain to OFFICIAL UK BUSINESS organisations (that is, consumer rights) and report them as a business. That might help.
marty159 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:41 pm
The visa application processing centre has emailed back requesting the same two documents after our email. They are not taking our explanations into consideration even after speaking to them on phone and explaining. They keep insisting that these are being requested by the consulate.

We called the consulate directly - they say they can't help as it was applied through the processing company and any queries should be directed to the processing company and put the phone down. I tried calling again, spoke to a different person this time and also tried explaining that the processing company are asking for documents which we don't have and they are not taking our explanation/clarification. I also tried pointing out that we are applying through EU Spouse route and I'm a British citizen. The consulate person told us U.K. has not signed the schengen travel agreement and said he can't help and then put the phone down.

Can someone help me with what to put in the email to consulate in regards to the directive that we come under for our circumstances to get a result?

I know they can't reject on the basis for not producing a a document/confirmation from airline directly. It looks like they have taken down the approach of requesting a a document(original marriage certificate in HINDU) that does not exist.

marty159
Newly Registered
India

Post by marty159 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:35 pm

Thanks Caravel88. We will follow your advice and will revert back.

Here are the documents they requested.

1. marriage certificate in HINDU - our original marriage certificate is in English which we have already submitted.

2. booking confirmation from airline website - the airline says they can't provide this as the flight is a chartered flight. They have confirmed the flight details in an email which we have already submitted.
Caravel88 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:44 pm
If I were you, I would give the stupid processing company what they want without explanation.

If they request the same again, I would pull my application immediately, and get an appointment from the embassy.

If the embassy tells you that because you applied via processing company, then they won't help. So no need to waste time.

Either:

You could also try contacting a manager in the processing company, that is, call and request to speak to someone and make complaint and tell them you will also complain to OFFICIAL UK BUSINESS organisations (that is, consumer rights) and report them as a business. That might help.
marty159 wrote:

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:06 pm

For 1) any chance you could post the original in hindu as they asked for?

For 2) do you drive? You could say we decided to drive and submit car paperwork with drivers license -OR - make a refundable booking from another airline. If you pay bit extra most companies offer full refund option. Once you get the visa you could take the chartered flight.

BTW im sorry they are forcing you for all this. Good luck!
marty159 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:35 pm

1. marriage certificate in HINDU - our original marriage certificate is in English which we have already submitted.

2. booking confirmation from airline website - the airline says they can't provide this as the flight is a chartered flight. They have confirmed the flight details in an email which we have already submitted.
Caravel88 wrote:

Either:

marty159 wrote:

marty159
Newly Registered
India

Post by marty159 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:16 am

1. Our marriage certificate issued in India is in English. We do not have any other certificate. The processing company are not saying they did not receive the certificate in English. They are asking for a document that does not exist(marriage certificate in HINDU).

2. We have spoken to the chartered department in the airline and have got the flight tickets from the airline.

We have clarified about point 1 again and have submitted the flight tickets.

I appreciate your advice - that's why I'm here and we will follow it as much as we can.
Caravel88 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:06 pm
For 1) any chance you could post the original in hindu as they asked for?

For 2) do you drive? You could say we decided to drive and submit car paperwork with drivers license -OR - make a refundable booking from another airline. If you pay bit extra most companies offer full refund option. Once you get the visa you could take the chartered flight.

BTW im sorry they are forcing you for all this. Good luck!
marty159 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:35 pm

Caravel88 wrote:

Either:

marty159 wrote:

shaba ranks
Newly Registered

Post by shaba ranks » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:35 am

Sorry to hear your troubles mate. Where it says that you’ll have to submit airline ticket to proof that you (the EU citizen) are travelling together as that’s one of the requirements for the type of permits you requested, there’s also a small one page blank paper where you could kinda give a statement with your (EU citizen) signature to say “ You’re travelling together) & it’s on one of the processing centre’s website , I mean that blank document but anyway that’s been sorted for you as you now have tickets issued from the Airlibe direct.
As for the marriage certificate, I guess where the centre got confused is that some embassy’s requirement for certificates/documents issued outside of the EU (even if it’s in English, say from USA or Australia & in your case India) will have to be legalised/attested by the respective countries embassy/high commissions, I mean the original. If you’ve already done that by the Indian high commission ( if they provide such services in the UK) then you shouldn’t worry at all & ask the Processing centre to forward your application to the Embassy anyway with whatever documents you supplied along with cover letter to explain & just ignore the stupidity of the centre....