ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

6 month only Tier 5 Visa Youth Mobility Visa?

Only for UK Tier 5 (Temporary work) points system
Also includes the Youth Mobility Scheme Tier 5

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

zare01
Newly Registered
Canada

6 month only Tier 5 Visa Youth Mobility Visa?

Post by zare01 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:29 pm

Good day,

I recently applied for a tier 5 Youth Mobility visa and received an email saying it was accepted and printed onto my passport. I was so happy.

When I received my passport, based on the dates it says it's only valid for 6 months. At first I thought that it was just the vignette that was valid for 6 months and that the BRP I'd have to collect in the UK would be my definitive 2 year visa.

However, I did not receive any BRP confirmation/decision letter and I emailed the BRP enquiries out of curiosity. Bad news again, they replied saying that I have nothing to collect because the visa is valid only for less than 6 months.

I do not understand, what is the point of paying 235 GBP on top of that a IHS surcharge for 2 years only to have a visa valid for 6 months? How am I supposed to leave my life behind here (job, apartment and so on) for only 6 months and try to find a an employer that's only willing to hire me for 6 months and a landlord that'll only offer me a 6 month apartment? How am I supposed to gain any sort of work experience yet even finding a job in these 6 months? There must be a mistake. It goes against the very purpose of a tier 5 Youth Mobility visa.

My flight is on the 26th and I've got no idea why they did this. I've not come across anyone on the internet and it's the first time this seems to have happened for a tier 5 YMS.

I would definitely appreciate some advice on what I should do and if I'm able to request to have my stay extended. My girlfriend is a UK citizen, can I potentially apply for FLR(M) if we were to get married? What are my options?

Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: 6 month only Tier 5 Visa Youth Mobility Visa?

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:38 pm

I would definitely appreciate some advice on what I should do and if I'm able to request to have my stay extended.
If it is an error on your visa, you should have it corrected before you fly. Likely a printing error. What exactly does the visa state as in type of visa?
My girlfriend is a UK citizen, can I potentially apply for FLR(M) if we were to get married? What are my options?
Yes you could in theory.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

zare01
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by zare01 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:58 pm

Yes it clearly says on the visa that it is a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa and that I've got no access to public funds etc.

I hope this is an error as I've never come across anyone who's only had a Tier 5 issued for 6 months only on the internet.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:00 pm

It is likely an error as Tier 5 YMS is for 2 years.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

zare01
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by zare01 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:14 am

CR001 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:00 pm
It is likely an error as Tier 5 YMS is for 2 years.
I've contacted BRP error and have escalated the issue to Home Office via the Visa Contact Centre, hopefully I get an answer before my flight and before I arrive there.

But getting back to the FLR(M) route, would I be eligible if my Tier 5 YMS is only for 6 months? Because over here in 21. c) it says that in order to apply and be eligible I cannot have a visa that's 6 months or less. However, my Tier 5 is on the vignette I've received is for 6 months. How would that work?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... l_2017.pdf

zare01
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by zare01 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:41 am

Here is what my vignette looks like. On the official gov.uk website there's only a mention of a temporary vignette of 30 days in which you have to collect the BRP from the local post office. However, my vignette length is for 6 months as you can see.

And how am I supposed to work or find a job if BRP is saying that I've got no BRP card to collect because of my visa being 6 months or less? Isn't a Tier 5 a visa on which you can work on?

There must be a mistake somewhere, what's the difference between paying all of the fees and applying for a Tier 5 if it's essentially being treated as visitor's visa?

https://ibb.co/hBhWaG

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:34 am

It's likely an error if it's contrary to 245ZL.
245ZL. Period and conditions of grant
Entry clearance will be granted for a period of 2 years subject to the following conditions:
Request correction.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:00 am

Note that switching to FLR(M) with current error may fail E-LTRP.2.1.(b).
Immigration status requirements
E-LTRP.2.1. The applicant must not be in the UK-

(a) as a visitor; or
(b) with valid leave granted for a period of 6 months or less, unless that leave is as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner, or was granted pending the outcome of family court or divorce proceedings
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

zare01
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by zare01 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:48 am

vinny wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:34 am
It's likely an error if it's contrary to 245ZL.
245ZL. Period and conditions of grant
Entry clearance will be granted for a period of 2 years subject to the following conditions:
Request correction.
Thank you vinny, I've sent an email to the Sheffield Office and I'll see what happens.

However, you've hyperlinked 'likely' and I wasn't able to understand what you were referring to on that website. Is it possible that they might've done this on purpose for an undisclosed reason?

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:02 pm

See also What is the BRP (biometric residence permit) and how do I get it? I think the process is still the same. So, I think that what they gave you is wrong.

zare01
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by zare01 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:01 pm

Thank you so much guys, I swear I was so stressed out and had no clue what to do. Now that I know it's a mistake, and know what to do I feel at ease.

sky4
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by sky4 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:39 am

OMG! Good thing I saw this thread!! I also recently applied for the visa and got it on Dec 12th.

Because of this thread I checked my vignette and it says it's valid from April 1, 2018 to May 1, 2018 so does that mean I only get to stay for 1 month??

I use xxxxx for my application and just sent them an email about this so hopefully they can get to the bottom of this. Luck that I don't plan to leave until April.

Will you let me know whats happening with yours and i'll do the same as well.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:39 pm

sky4 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:39 am
OMG! Good thing I saw this thread!! I also recently applied for the visa and got it on Dec 12th.

Because of this thread I checked my vignette and it says it's valid from April 1, 2018 to May 1, 2018 so does that mean I only get to stay for 1 month??

I use SWAP.ca for my application and just sent them an email about this so hopefully they can get to the bottom of this. Luck that I don't plan to leave until April.

Will you let me know whats happening with yours and i'll do the same as well.
This a temporary 30 day visa vignette. You are required to enter the UK before the expiry date and collect your BRP from the designated Post Office within 10 days of arrival. The BRP will cover the 2 year period of your Tier 5 visa (assuming this is the visa you've applied for). :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

kateshar
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by kateshar » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:31 pm

Hi I just stumbled upon this thread because my friend (Canadian) is currently experiencing a similar problem. If the above users are still active, could you please let me know what happened to your visa? Was the 1mo/6mo visa a misprint? Was the problem rectified? I appreciate your response.