ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can you sponsor parents once you have ILR?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Alex218
Newly Registered
Barbados

Can you sponsor parents once you have ILR?

Post by Alex218 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:41 pm

Hi all,

I'll be going for ILR shortly but wanted to know once ILR is granted, is there a provision in the immigration laws where one can apply for some sort of dependent residence visa for parents (aged 60 plus) who are living by themselves in another country but are dependent on the ILR holder?

I know parents aren't considered as dependents and them not being in the UK also doesnt help but am curious to know if there is some sort of 'humanitarian' law (or route) through which one can try such visa application? Just for clarity, them living in the UK (if such a route exist and application gets approved) wouldnt require any help from public funds whatsoever..

thanks,

vinny

Re: Can you sponsor parents once you have ILR?

Post by vinny » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:42 am

The route exists, but it’s very difficult.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:28 am

Do bear in mind that if you apply for an Adult Dependent Visa and it is refused, you will be closing the door for future visitor visas in the future due to their prior intention to settle.

As the information in the links Vinny has posted for you, unless BOTH of your parents can prove that they need daily care for basic tasks such as bathing, dressing, preparing food etc., AND that care is either not available in their home country or is not affordable, the application will fail.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Alex218
Newly Registered
Barbados

Post by Alex218 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:08 pm

Thank you guys, much appreciated!