ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU Family reunification for adult dependent sibling after ADR ruled out

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

RRL
Newly Registered

EU Family reunification for adult dependent sibling after ADR ruled out

Post by RRL » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:03 pm

Good afternoon

I wonder if anyone has any advice to offer on this site please. I'm originally from South Africa but am now a British citizen living in London.

I have a seriously mentally handicapped brother (36 y/old) who still lives in South Africa in a care home. My mother (73 y/old) is the only family we have in South Africa. I also have a sister that lives in the UK.

My concern is that once my mother passes away my brother will have no-one to look after him and we really can't go back to South Africa.

Obviously with the UK's ADR rules being impossible to meet i'm considering other backup options in Europe before Brexit finally kicks in.

In particular i'm looking at the option of moving to another EU country and then trying to bring my brother over. Does anybody have any suggestions / experience on how to go about this? Are there some countries that are more receptive than others?

any advice will be much appreciated

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Re: EU Family reunification for adult dependent sibling after ADR ruled out

Post by Caravel88 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:25 pm

Good afternoon

I'm sorry to hear about your brother.

If you locate to another EU country, you can bring your brother very easily.
You will need to start living, working, and have an address.

Then as long as you prove your brother is dependant on you, he can easily get a visa without needing to provide much else.
RRL wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:03 pm
Good afternoon

I wonder if anyone has any advice to offer on this site please. I'm originally from South Africa but am now a British citizen living in London.

I have a seriously mentally handicapped brother (36 y/old) who still lives in South Africa in a care home. My mother (73 y/old) is the only family we have in South Africa. I also have a sister that lives in the UK.

My concern is that once my mother passes away my brother will have no-one to look after him and we really can't go back to South Africa.

Obviously with the UK's ADR rules being impossible to meet i'm considering other backup options in Europe before Brexit finally kicks in.

In particular i'm looking at the option of moving to another EU country and then trying to bring my brother over. Does anybody have any suggestions / experience on how to go about this? Are there some countries that are more receptive than others?

any advice will be much appreciated

RRL
Newly Registered

Post by RRL » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:09 am

thank you Caravel88. I really appreciate your reply

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:21 am

I appreciate your dilemma, but do bear in mind that you will have to move your home lock stock and barrel, to another EU state and prove that you have established a life there. You may not have sufficient time to do this before Brexit kicks in. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:54 am

First 90 days are unconditional. As long as OP can prove that the family member is a dependant, the OP just needs to relocate and show intent to settle. Also any job contract is enough to register the non-eu family.
Casa wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:21 am
I appreciate your dilemma, but do bear in mind that you will have to move your home lock stock and barrel, to another EU state and prove that you have established a life there. You may not have sufficient time to do this before Brexit kicks in. :idea:

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:57 am

Caravel88 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:54 am
First 90 days are unconditional. As long as OP can prove that the family member is a dependant, the OP just needs to relocate and show intent to settle. Also any job contract is enough to register the non-eu family.
Casa wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:21 am
I was referring to qualifying for the Surinder Singh route (which may be the goal), not for the OP's brother to join him/her in the EU state.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

RRL
Newly Registered

Post by RRL » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:50 pm

Thanks Caravel88 and Casa. I probably wasn't specific enough in my post but I didn't have the SS route in mind, rather permanent relocation to another EU country.

Also, if you had any thoughts on countries that are the easiest to get into that would also be much appreciated.

Once again thanks for all your help

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:12 pm

What do you mean by "countries that are the easiest to get into"?
RRL wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:50 pm
Thanks Caravel88 and Casa. I probably wasn't specific enough in my post but I didn't have the SS route in mind, rather permanent relocation to another EU country.

Also, if you had any thoughts on countries that are the easiest to get into that would also be much appreciated.

Once again thanks for all your help

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:14 pm

You would need to investigate where would be most suitable for you based on what your requirements would be, as it is important to remember that not all EU countries have free healthcare like the NHS and your brother will likely need ongoing medical care and medical insurance can become expensive.

Denmark has one of the best free healthcare services too, but you are taxed heavily to pay for it.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

RRL
Newly Registered

Post by RRL » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:20 pm

thanks CR001