ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel Issues: BRP Holder + Unrecognized Passport (Somali)

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

techguru
Newly Registered
Somalia

Travel Issues: BRP Holder + Unrecognized Passport (Somali)

Post by techguru » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:26 pm

Hi everyone!

I would like to ask if anyone who has a valid resident permit, along with a passport that is deemed unrecognized in the UK, face travel issues? Especially when coming back into the country (UK)?

I've moved to the UK recently on a settlement visa and as a Technology Advisor I've to travel outside of UK for work (particularly to African countries). But as a Somali passport holder, I've what they call a UFF (the vignette/paper where the entry clearance visa is stamped) which is a 'de facto' travel document for us - as the UK does not recognize the Somali passport.

Now the issue is this: Although I've a valid BRP, but because I've an unrecognized passport, I must always keep the UFF/visa paper with me at all times - EVEN though it has expired and was valid for one-time travel.

The reason being is that the UK Borders actually assign you their own version of a Passport Number on the visa stamp which is different that your own passport number. This can be clearly seen because the two numbers are not identical at all, and boarding agents at the airports always use those two items for clearance (BRP + Old visa paper) to enter you into the system for boarding.

And for this sole reason, I've to have 1) my passport 2)BRP 3) an old expired visa paper which acts as a travel document at all times of travel.

Now The Issues:

Many of the airlines/airports check-in staff don't know or understand this, especially in the regions where I've to go for work.

Although, a few well-known travel hubs do know and understand the situation (e.g. Dubai) and let me board, I've been having extremely unpleasant issues with some cities where I'm not allowed to board - even though they clearly see that I've a valid BRP. They ask for a valid UFF/paper with visa on it - which I cannot get because my BRP has already been issued.

So has anyone here faced issues like this? If yes, how have you overcome it? I have been advised to apply for the Certificate of Travel (COT), but going through the requirements, I obviously don't meet them:

From GOV.UK:
To be eligible for a COT, applicants must have been formally and unreasonably refused a passport by their own authorities and have either been:
- granted indefinite leave to enter or remain in the UK, or
- refused asylum, but granted humanitarian protection or discretionary leave to remain in the UK
Appreciate it and thanks everyone! :) :)

techguru
Newly Registered
Somalia

Re: Travel Issues: BRP Holder + Unrecognized Passport (Somali)

Post by techguru » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:29 am

I guess no one has faced this issue? :(

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:37 pm

It is an interesting and unusual case. So there many not be many people who frequent these forums who have been through that same situation. You may have to wait for a response.

Just to clarify; is your passport isssued by the government of Somalia or that of Somaliland or that of Puntland? Can you claim, perhaps through descent or place of birth, the passport of a neighbouring country (Ethiopia, Eritrea, Djibouti, etc)?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

techguru
Newly Registered
Somalia

Post by techguru » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:02 pm

Hey thanks for replying :D :D

I hold the Government of Somalia passport

About applying for passport from a neighbouring country - I have thought of the idea, but never really looked into it. Speaking of which, I was once told that in case that I do get to change my nationality - thats a change in circumstance and it might affect my route to ILR - but not sure if its true though.

P.S. Puntland? Seriously? lol They too? :mrgreen:

techguru
Newly Registered
Somalia

Post by techguru » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:02 pm

It would be great to get an expert's reply on this, hopefully.