ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving to Germany

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dutchy_brit
Newly Registered

Moving to Germany

Post by dutchy_brit » Wed May 07, 2008 1:18 pm

We are currently sorting out a German employment contract. Who can tell me about the child benefit for 3 children and the unemployment regulations. I can only find controversial information. And is there anyone out there who has moved from the U.K. to Germany? Thanks.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Moving to Germany

Post by Wanderer » Wed May 07, 2008 1:43 pm

dutchy_brit wrote:We are currently sorting out a German employment contract. Who can tell me about the child benefit for 3 children and the unemployment regulations. I can only find controversial information. And is there anyone out there who has moved from the U.K. to Germany? Thanks.
Have a look at the forums on http://www.toytowngermany.com and http://www.thebrits.de - lods of UK expat there who will have the answers.

WRT the CB, I think it's 100 euro per kid per month from memory, check that tho.

Also anecdotally, I think the UB is based on a percentage of ur previous employed earnings, but not having worked in Germany i dunno how it effects u. Check this tho - I might be confusing with another EU state....!

Why would u want to know about bens if ur gonna be employed tho?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

dsab85

Post by dsab85 » Wed May 07, 2008 1:55 pm

Child Benefit (Kindergeld) is currently 154 Euro a month per kid. There are no deductions, no income limits, no taxation for it.

But it might take a while to get through, especially if you just moved there. But you will be able to claim it backwards to the day you took up residency in Germany. Therefore it is very important to register with the Town Hall (einwohnermeldeamt) as soon as you moved there. Every person who lives in germany needs by law to register within 3 days (IIRC) of taking up residency.

dutchy_brit
Newly Registered

child benefit

Post by dutchy_brit » Mon May 12, 2008 4:50 pm

That was really helpful, thank you for that. We are sorting out a work contract and just want to know what would happen if he would lose his job and if his UK work past would count in German system. He has been working in the U.K. for 10 years. That's the reason why we enquire about the unemployment benefit.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Re: child benefit

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon May 12, 2008 8:27 pm

dutchy_brit wrote:That was really helpful, thank you for that. We are sorting out a work contract and just want to know what would happen if he would lose his job and if his UK work past would count in German system. He has been working in the U.K. for 10 years. That's the reason why we enquire about the unemployment benefit.
You can move to another member state if you are unemployed, but if you want to stay longer than 90 days you have to be employed or actively seeking employment.

I believe that any unemployment benefits will be paid by the German government if he is entitled to it in the Uk, though I am not 100% sure.

Do either of you speak German? What kind of work would you be looking for?