ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent Resident working in EU

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

herschey
Newly Registered

Permanent Resident working in EU

Post by herschey » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:00 pm

Hi all,

I already have my ILR / permanent residency in the UK and hold a US Passport. I am interviewing for a job that would be based/paid out of the UK but with significant travel to Europe (up to 40%).

I am trying to clarify my ability to do work in the EU based on the above - I believe there are a certain number of days that I can work in the EU, which is based on me being American rather than my ILR status. But I'm posting in this forum in case my ILR status does matter at all in this case.

I have tried Googling this, but seem to keep hitting Brexit-related discussions, or discussions on Europeans wanting to work in the UK.

Thanks for any helpful replies.

-H

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Permanent Resident working in EU

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:02 pm

You need a work visa to be able to work in another EU country.

Your ILR status is irrelevant to EU countries.

Note that extensive absence will make it difficult for your to apply for British citizenship if that is a goal.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:05 pm

Also, there is obvs a difference between business visits to EU countries and 'working' in EU countries, the latter requiring a work visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:41 pm

This depends on the exact nature of your work.

You can visit the Schengen area for upto 90 days in any given 180 day period and perform certain business activities.
herschey wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:00 pm
Hi all,

I already have my ILR / permanent residency in the UK and hold a US Passport. I am interviewing for a job that would be based/paid out of the UK but with significant travel to Europe (up to 40%).

I am trying to clarify my ability to do work in the EU based on the above - I believe there are a certain number of days that I can work in the EU, which is based on me being American rather than my ILR status. But I'm posting in this forum in case my ILR status does matter at all in this case.

I have tried Googling this, but seem to keep hitting Brexit-related discussions, or discussions on Europeans wanting to work in the UK.

Thanks for any helpful replies.

-H