ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Italian Citizenship by Marriage - UK CITIZEN

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Demare
Newly Registered

Italian Citizenship by Marriage - UK CITIZEN

Post by Demare » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:40 am

Hi

I hope someone will be able to help. Following BREXIT my British husband has decided to apply for Italian citizenship. The process seems kind of clear as explained on the Italian Consulate website (we've been married long enough etc). We don't understand one thing related to his UK birth certificate translation, can anyone who has applied with a UK birth certificate help, as it is impossible to talk to the Consulate to receive this type of information.

Does he need to have the translation of his UK birth certificate legalised/certified by the consulate before uploading onto the Italian Interior Ministry website OR, as it is a UK certificate, as long as it has the apostille, the translation will be certified the day of the appointment as for the UK Criminal record certificate - This is what the website says about the UK Criminal record certificate: 'Please have the certificate translated into Italian by a translator, and bring the translation with you the day of the appointment, it will be certified by this citizenship office'.

Thank you for your help.

RoseV
Newly Registered

Re: Italian Citizenship by Marriage - UK CITIZEN

Post by RoseV » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:57 pm

Hi,

I have decided the same and am going for Italian citizenship having been married to an Italian for 32 years. (Brexit! Pah!!)

We have applied through London. When we went through the recognition process for my son two years ago we did the translation ourselves using their template. We didn't have to have it affirmed by an official translator - the Embassy approved it. This time my Italian cousin has helped and I hope it will be as simple.

Likewise he helped with the translation of the Police Certificate.

I have applied and am now waiting for the Consulate to contact me.

How are you getting on?

Rose

benjus
Newly Registered

Post by benjus » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:00 pm

OP - what happened in the end? I have the same question as you. As you say, the website is clear that the birth certificate translation must be certified by the consulate, but it's not clear whether that needs to be done in advance of the application or at the time of the appointment. The fact that they check the British criminal records certificate translation at the appointment suggests they should be able to do the same thing for the birth certificate translation.

For some reason it seems to be designed more for non-British citizens that have come to the UK and married an Italian (not necessarily in that order)... maybe few British citizens bothered with this process before the Brexit vote.

ings
Newly Registered

Post by ings » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:03 am

@rosev and @demar
Could you give an update on your application status?
It would be good to know wait times. I've just submitted my request (July 2018) and would like to know how much of a wait I'm in for!! :D :D
Thanks!!

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:06 pm

ings wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:03 am
@rosev and @demar
Could you give an update on your application status?
It would be good to know wait times. I've just submitted my request (July 2018) and would like to know how much of a wait I'm in for!! :D :D
Thanks!!
Neither of these members have visited the forum since November 2016 :!:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Ilario
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by Ilario » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:32 pm

ings wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:03 am
I've just submitted my request (July 2018) and would like to know how much of a wait I'm in for!
Hi ings, I think you need to wait about 2 years to see the end of the process... sorry!

Anyway, can I please ask you (or anyone in the same situation who's reading this) if you can please share the model for the Italian translation for the ACRO "Police certificate for immigration purposes", or maybe your translation without your personal data?

I have written to the Italian Consulate and they just confirmed I can do this translation by myself, they will then issue a certificate confirming that the translation into Italian complies with its English original. It seems a pretty standard translation, mainly composed of standard terms, but I am always nervous about legal terminology.

Thanks a lot!

Ilario
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by Ilario » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:47 am

It seems I have found a webslink removed by moderator for the ACRO police certificate, so I have created weblink removed by moderator to be used as a model for everyone.

Just to be absolutely clear: I am not a professional translator, so if you have any doubt please refer to one. Similarly, if you have the technical/legal knowledge and want to improve this translation, please feel free to do so!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:52 am

Ilario wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:47 am
It seems I have found a webslink removed by moderator for the ACRO police certificate, so I have created weblink removed by moderator to be used as a model for everyone.

Just to be absolutely clear: I am not a professional translator, so if you have any doubt please refer to one. Similarly, if you have the technical/legal knowledge and want to improve this translation, please feel free to do so!
Kindly refrain from posting non official weblinks.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ilario
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by Ilario » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:57 am

Oh, sorry. I was just trying to upload the model I created, which I think can be useful for the community.

PatKo
Newly Registered

Post by PatKo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:22 pm

Hi

I completed and submitted the online application on April 2017.
It has been more than a year and I have never heard from the embassy nor got an appointment to submit the paper work.

I would like to know how long it takes normally from submitting online application until submitting in person at the embassy.
Anyone waiting to submit the paper work?

Many thanks

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:57 pm

AFAIK, the application process to become naturalised as italian takes several years.
PatKo wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:22 pm
Hi

I completed and submitted the online application on April 2017.
It has been more than a year and I have never heard from the embassy nor got an appointment to submit the paper work.

I would like to know how long it takes normally from submitting online application until submitting in person at the embassy.
Anyone waiting to submit the paper work?

Many thanks