ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can i stay if my passport expires before my RC?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

busya13

Can i stay if my passport expires before my RC?

Post by busya13 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:02 am

Hi guys
I was hoping for advice. My passport expires next July (2019) but RC is valid until March 2020. I imagine it is not a good idea to travel back home to obtain a new passport as then a new visa is necessary either? Can i stay and continue working in the UK while i apply for a new passport through my consulate? I just want to avoid the hassle of applying and waiting for visa from back home etc. I hope i don't have to do it. Actually the best thing would be if I could go home, get a new passport but keep the old one with my RC and re-enter UK? I am a non-EU spouse of EU citizen. I am not sure if we would stay on in the UK in 2020 as my husband will finish his phd and then we will decide, so i just don't want to go through another visa application and the stress of it if we would leave the UK anyway in 2020. Thank you in advance!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Can i stay if my passport expires before my RC?

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:15 am

I imagine it is not a good idea to travel back home to obtain a new passport as then a new visa is necessary either?
Why would you need a new visa when you have one that is valid???
Can i stay and continue working in the UK while i apply for a new passport through my consulate?
Yes. Why do you think you can't??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

busya13

Post by busya13 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:32 am

Hi CR001 :D thank you for the response. That sounds reassuring. I am a real dummy when it comes to immigration matters and i hate all these different formalities lol so I did not do proper research yet. Ok, maybe it is not as bad as i thought. But how about if i want to.travel back to my home country to get a new passport anyway? And still come back with both passports: new one and old one containing RC? I would love to hear from people to share their experiences. Is this even possible? I mean any issues with airlines that would not let you board etc? Thank you!

Jimmybones100

Post by Jimmybones100 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:08 pm

You don’t need to travel to your country to get a new passport,just go to your embassy and apply when that one expires.