ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship immediately after Indefinite Leave?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

chubbziee
Newly Registered
Philippines

British Citizenship immediately after Indefinite Leave?

Post by chubbziee » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:32 pm

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I've been a follower ever since I found this site. It's been a great help to me and my husband :)

I would like to know if my husband (Filipino) can apply for British Citizenship as a spouse of British Citizen (me) immediately after he's been granted ILR (10 year long residence) or does he need to wait after 12 months?

My husband is currently on Spouse Visa (Leave to Remain). He has been living in the UK for 10 years now. We've been married for 4 years.

From what I've read on a similar topic from this forum and from this website https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-spouse, it seems like he is eligible to apply for BC after ILR. Is this correct?

Any advice would be great :D Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Citizenship immediately after Indefinite Leave?

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:43 pm

I would like to know if my husband (Filipino) can apply for British Citizenship as a spouse of British Citizen (me) immediately after he's been granted ILR (10 year long residence)
Yes, provided he meets the 3 year residence requirement, including being physically present 3 years ago on the same date he applies.
or does he need to wait after 12 months?
No
From what I've read on a similar topic from this forum and from this website https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-spouse, it seems like he is eligible to apply for BC after ILR. Is this correct?
Correct, provided he meets all the 3 year residence requirements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

chubbziee
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by chubbziee » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:55 pm

Thank you CR001 for your speedy reply. He has only been out of the country for 3 days during our holiday in France (2015). Is he still eligible?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:02 pm

Depends when the holiday was in relation to the date he applies for Citizenship as 2015 is 3 years ago.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

chubbziee
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by chubbziee » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:17 pm

Our holiday was in August 2015. If he applies in September 2018 or any month after August would that be ok?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:18 pm

Yes, then he should be fine.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

chubbziee
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by chubbziee » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:25 pm

Thank you so much! Have a great day! :D