ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

6 Weeks Rule for Irish Citizenship

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Dubman
Newly Registered
Ireland

Continuous Reckonable Residence-Citizenship Application

Post by Dubman » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:36 am

Hi All,
I know many of you successfully applied for citizenship application and also was able to gain citizenship. I am very qurious to know about "1year Continuous Reckonable Residence" in the year of making application.
There is a clause "Have had a period of 365 days* (1 year) continuous reckonable residence in the State immediately before the date of your application for naturalisation " - if it is the case can't the applicant go for holidays last year( for 4 weeks) if he is preparing to apply for citizenship after 5years.

Eg. I am on stamp-4 and I have three years of visa now. And next year it will be reckonable 5 years and I am planning to apply next year May 2019. I am also planning to visit my home country in October 2018 for 1month. Now If I apply for citizenshipship in next May, will I be eligible for citizenship or I am breaking the clause of continuous residence not staying the country for 4 weeks?

Please advise on this.

Thanks

mrrobot
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Continuous Reckonable Residence-Citizenship Application

Post by mrrobot » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:35 pm

The rule about 1 year of reckonable residence simply means that you must reside in Ireland for the whole year. Eg you couldn't live in Ireland for 4,5 years, then move to other country say for 2 years, then move back and apply just in 6 months. You need to reside for 1 year.

Dubman
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Dubman » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:56 pm

Mrrobot @ thanks for your reply but it is bit complex the way you explained. It is not about moving to different country for couple of years and come back and apply. It is about to go for holiday for 4 weeks within the year for apply.
I am bit confused 😕 now.

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:22 pm

Here is an older discussion of this question

ireland/1-year-s-continuous-reckonable- ... 76325.html

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:06 pm

The 1 year of continuous reckonable residence means that Ireland is your county of residence for 1 year immediately before the application is lodged. The fact that you are going on holidays for a month won’t affect you because this is still your country of permanent residence, you are just going on holidays.

Now there is a 6 weeks absence per annum so if you are out of Ireland for more than 6 weeks per annum in any of the past 5 years, it will need to be notified to the Citizenship Division in your application for Irish citizen so keep track of all the holidays abroad.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

Dubman
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Dubman » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:34 pm

Thanks very much all. It was a well advised information. The 6 weeks rule that needs to be explained to the officials, is it if some one spends 7 weeks in one go outside of Ireland in a year or total spending time out side of Ireland like 3 weeks in January, 1 week May and may be another 3 weeks in November. When does this 6 weeks rule apply??

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:49 pm

More than 6 weeks per annum out of the country, the Citizenship Division does not specify how the count the weeks. If you stay out of the country more than 6 weeks either in one go or in different trips during that year then you will need to provide details to the Citizenship Division.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

Dubman
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Dubman » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:44 am

Thanks Max and all others who participated on this topic. It was a great help to understand complex immigration system. Hopefully this conversation will
help others as well.

Thanks

Stress
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by Stress » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:59 pm

Hi please advised me about 6 weeks rule. i am bit confuse about it. i never been outside ireland for 6 years until 2018. i have submitted my application on august 2016 still awaiting for approval. now this year i need to go to my home country for some personal reason for atleast 3 months does 6 weeks rule will apply on my case???

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:43 pm

Stress wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:59 pm
Hi please advised me about 6 weeks rule. i am bit confuse about it. i never been outside ireland for 6 years until 2018. i have submitted my application on august 2016 still awaiting for approval. now this year i need to go to my home country for some personal reason for atleast 3 months does 6 weeks rule will apply on my case???
The 6 weeks rule does not apply to your case because you were never out of the country before submitting the application. If your application still processing you will need to inform the Citizenship Division that you plan to be out of the country for at least 3 months and see what’s their response, highly likely that your application will see further delays because of this.

Dubman
Newly Registered
Ireland

6 Weeks Rule for Irish Citizenship

Post by Dubman » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:57 pm

Hi All,
I am about to apply for Irish Citizenship today or tomorrow. I came across with this issue 6 weeks rules.

In 2018- I was in holiday outside of Ireland in total of 28 days in one go ( full October)( this include Saturday & Sunday & one bank Holiday).

In 2017- I was out side of Ireland for holidays nearly 46 days( This also include Saturday & Sunday & 2 Bank holidays).Obviously I will mention this to excel sheet.

2016 and other years were within 6 weeks.
I am bit of confused now, can I apply for citizenship now? Is it feasible or I will catch up with continues residencey or 6 weeks rule??

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: 6 Weeks Rule for Irish Citizenship

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:00 pm

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Dubman
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Dubman » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:12 pm

Dear Moderator,
My previous application was refused in 2018 that I applied in 2017.

I am going to apply again this week.

This 6 weeks rule currently affecting people new-way. So I am just confused about it.

Anira
Canada

Post by Anira » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:20 pm

Dubman wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:12 pm
Dear Moderator,
My previous application was refused in 2018 that I applied in 2017.

I am going to apply again this week.

This 6 weeks rule currently affecting people new-way. So I am just confused about it.
Sorry, do you mind if I ask if they refused you because you spent 46 days outside of Ireland in 2017? Did you ever get a second letter or they refused at initial stage?
Thanks and good luck with your new application.

P.s i would suggest you to e-mail them and ask. This way you can print out their answer and attach to the application. You can cover yourself since the rules arent very clear.

Dubman
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Dubman » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:29 pm

No, it wasnt refuse because of more than 6 weeks I spent in 2017. It was a differet issue. I made my application in May then I went for holiday. And again I went outside 21st Dec 2017. I never received 2nd letter. In 2018 May I received a letter with refusal.

But now I am hearing Citizenship dept refusing applicants who ever were outside of Ireland for more than 6 weeks. So my query is about it!!

Anira
Canada

Post by Anira » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:46 pm

Dubman wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:29 pm
No, it wasnt refuse because of more than 6 weeks I spent in 2017. It was a differet issue. I made my application in May then I went for holiday. And again I went outside 21st Dec 2017. I never received 2nd letter. In 2018 May I received a letter with refusal.

But now I am hearing Citizenship dept refusing applicants who ever were outside of Ireland for more than 6 weeks. So my query is about it!!
I was 46 days outside of the country in 2017 and applied in Oct 2017 and got my approval last week. However, because their rules are not very clear - for piece of mind, I would email them, state your dates and ask if it meets their rules. Print out their answer and attach to your application.

However I think you should be fine because the 46 days were in 2017 and not in the year prior to your application (which was my case). But e-mail them to be on the safe side.

Spire01
Mood:
Ireland

Post by Spire01 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:51 pm

Dubman wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:29 pm

Hi Dubman, first of all, sorry to hear that your first application was refused. but just to clarify, what was the reason mentioned in the refusal letter, would you mind sharing?. if its personal, no problem, but please let me know if the refusal is due to your absence post submitting your application? thanks.

Regards.

Finepaddy
Mood:
Norway

Post by Finepaddy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:07 pm

Continues one year mean u don't have any gap between your Visa, some people need Visa renewal every year.
Second if u stay more then 6 weeks outside state u better have good explanation. They want to know why u stay outside country for long time.
Both above issues are different.

euspouse07
Mood:
Ireland

Post by euspouse07 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:51 am

Thanks For clarification
First part is crystal clear, However, the second part needs more clarification.
1.what does mean by the calendar year?
2. How they interpret that?

For example, a friend of mine is about to submit an application for citizenship, Scenario is such, Applicant was out of state twice during last year (2018)
1. Beginning of the year for 62 days. ( arrived back on the 05/04/2018)
2. Out from the state for 38 days. ( arrived back on 25/01/2019)

Now, If he wants to push application on the 07/04/2019, he could say as per his calculation he was only out from the state for 38 days in the last year.
But the department might calculate in other way.
Could someone please shed some light on this.
Thanks

SouthAfricanNomad
Mood:
South Africa

Post by SouthAfricanNomad » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:17 pm

It is calendar year (Jan- Dec)

I sent old Police cert (original and it was returned)

They send you a team, reference number and address in the letter.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:37 pm

SouthAfricanNomad wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:17 pm
It is calendar year (Jan- Dec)
This is incorrect. It is the 365/366 days prior to the application submission date, otherwise there would be no difference whether an application was submitted on 1st Jan or 31st Dec because you are always counting the absence for the year before that.

The Minister has answered this question in parliament before:
It is therefore very important for applicants to note that any absences from the State in excess of six weeks during the year immediately preceding the date of their application could result in the Minister exercising his absolute discretion to refuse to grant a certificate of naturalisation notwithstanding that they may have satisfied the statutory conditions for same set out in the 1956 Act. Where applicants are absent from the State in excess of six weeks during the year immediately preceding the date of their application the policy of the Minister is to only grant a certificate of naturalisation if satisfied that the travel was demonstrably unavoidable or due to exceptional circumstances. Applicants who find themselves in this position should submit as much information as possible with their application to verify that any travel outside of the State in excess of six weeks during the year immediately preceding their application was unavoidable or due to exceptional circumstances.

euspouse07
Mood:
Ireland

Post by euspouse07 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:09 pm

max307 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:49 pm
More than 6 weeks per annum out of the country, the Citizenship Division does not specify how the count the weeks. If you stay out of the country more than 6 weeks either in one go or in different trips during that year then you will need to provide details to the Citizenship Division.
Thanks for your contribution to this topic.
But could you please clarify more.
Not necessarily six weeks in one go, but how you count continuous 12 months residence per annum.
Not everyone is applying on the 2nd of January.
i.e. If the applicant is out from the state from 10 January 2018 till 02 april 2018 and then came back and resided. Again left on 18 December 2018 and return back on 25 January 2019.
If he applies on 4the April 2019, he can declare that he resided only 38 days out from the state as he is counting his continuous residence from 3rd April 2018 till 04 April 2019
please give your opinion.
thanks