ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Taiwanese girlfriend to visit the UK - Immigration questions

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

xJordannx
Newly Registered
Mood:

Taiwanese girlfriend to visit the UK - Immigration questions

Post by xJordannx » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:49 pm

I've read multiple stories online regarding people's experiences getting through the UK border to visit their boyfriend/girlfriend, and am getting very concerned about the likelihood of my girlfriend being able to visit me here in the UK.

I am 21 years old and currently reside in the United Kingdom as a natural-born citizen, living with my two grandparents in a three bedroom house. I am currently unemployed and receiving government benefits due to the status of my mental health (ESA & PIP). My girlfriend is 19 years old, resides in and is a natural-born citizen of Taiwan, where she lives with her parents. She is also unemployed and not in education at the moment. My grandmother worked for the NHS for 25 years, and my grandfather was a CNC engineer for 20 years, but now works as a security guard for a college.

My girlfriend and I met each other online in March last year, and have had constant communication with each other since then (via Skype). I have visited her twice in Taiwan (once in December with my grandmother last year, and another by myself in April this year) for a combined total of almost 3 months.

My girlfriend would like to visit me here in the UK in the very near future, and would like to stay for the full 6 months as she has the time to spare right now. As she holds a Taiwan (ROC) passport, she does not require a visa to enter, although I've heard that she needs to bring the same documents as are required when applying for a visa. We do plan on applying for a fiancee visa and getting married sometime next year, but believe that it would be a good experience for her to first to see the country, culture, improve her English and most importantly spend more time together. I'm sure this would drastically improve our chances of getting a fiancee visa should we apply for one in the future.

I am worried because I have heard that it is usually difficult to convince the immigration officers that you will return to your home country when you're supposed to; especially if you don't have a compelling reason to do so - which in this case, the only thing that ties her to her country (outside of wanting to abide by the law) are her family and a return ticket.

If my girlfriend proceeds to visit the UK, she plans on taking a flight from Taipei to Gatwick with China Airlines. It would be her first time visiting the UK. Due to her being unemployed, she currently has no savings and will be relying on my grandparents to take care of her, which my grandparents are more than happy to do and have already agreed to sponsor her stay. She would stay at our house and they'd finance and support her.

Because of these specific circumstances, I have a few questions I'd like to ask:
  • Will it be a problem if my girlfriend brings no money with her?
  • If due to language problems my girlfriend has trouble understanding the immigration officer (or vice versa), would they be able to contact me instead to assist her?
  • I have heard that she'd need to bring an invitation and sponsorship letter with her; is there an official document that me or my grandparents can download and fill in?
  • Does my girlfriend need travel/medical insurance?
  • In case I forgot about anything, what other documents are required/recommended that my girlfriend should bring with her to show the immigration officer(s), and are photocopies ok?
  • My grandparents are not married so they do not share the same last name. Could this be an issue?
  • Lastly, it'd be very depressing and absolutely heartbreaking for us both if she was denied access just because they didn't "trust" her. What are the chances of this happening?
Thanks for taking the time to read this, I'm a bit overwhelmed by everything and any advice or input would be most appreciated!

xJordannx
Newly Registered
Mood:

Re: Taiwanese girlfriend to visit the UK - Immigration questions

Post by xJordannx » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:49 pm

On a further note: I'd still prefer to go ahead with my original plan as stated above, as I think it would greatly benefit our chances of a successful fiancee visa application in the future, and would be a great experience for us both. However, after reading more and more stories, my girlfriend and I are now seriously considering applying for a fiancee visa now, instead of going through this stress and worry regarding any trouble(s) at the border. It's a real shame that it might have to be so rushed just because an immigration officer won't believe or trust that she'll return after visiting, but if it's our safest option, then so be it.

Once again, any advice is greatly appreciated, either regarding problems at the UK border, or potential problems with applying for a fiancee visa given our specific circumstances.

Thanks!

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:55 pm

xJordannx wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:49 pm
Because of these specific circumstances, I have a few questions I'd like to ask:
  • Will it be a problem if my girlfriend brings no money with her?
A massive problem, yes. Alone, this would likely be insurmountable.
xJordannx wrote:
  • If due to language problems my girlfriend has trouble understanding the immigration officer (or vice versa), would they be able to contact me instead to assist her?
They just might.
xJordannx wrote:
  • I have heard that she'd need to bring an invitation and sponsorship letter with her; is there an official document that me or my grandparents can download and fill in?
Best to just write it yourself. I think there are templates of example letters around on this forum. Maybe somebody far better at forum searches can chime in.
xJordannx wrote:
  • Does my girlfriend need travel/medical insurance?

Not necessary, but a good idea anyway. Also another potential knock against her if she can't demonstrate that she can, in case of emergency, support herself without a sponsor's assistance.
xJordannx wrote:
  • My grandparents are not married so they do not share the same last name. Could this be an issue?
No.
xJordannx wrote:
  • Lastly, it'd be very depressing and absolutely heartbreaking for us both if she was denied access just because they didn't "trust" her. What are the chances of this happening?

It's not a matter of 'trust'. It's purely a matter of experience. The UK has been taken advantage of so many times in this regards that you would probably have an easier time counting grains of sand on the beach than counting the number times people have broken the rules on visitors (and let's not even mention the other types of entry). Her background and circumstances signal all kinds of alarms to immigration. Lots and lots of people want to enter the UK. The vast majority are honest and will follow the rules to the letter if given the opportunity, but a disturbingly high percentage don't have much respect for the country's laws and customs, as the UK all-too-often finds out the hard way. And it's been like that for decades. That's what you're up against.
xJordannx wrote:
...my girlfriend and I are now seriously considering applying for a fiancee visa now...
There are financial requirements for this visa. From your description, I think it will take you some time to get into a position to meet the financial requirements, have savings, and be in a position to bring her over as a fiance. That should also give you both more time to develop your relationship.

xJordannx
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by xJordannx » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:26 pm

Hi, thank you for the response.

I'd just like to clarify a few more things, if you don't mind me asking:
ouflak1 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:55 pm
A massive problem, yes. Alone, this would likely be insurmountable.
Even if me and my parents are sponsoring her visit? Is there a reason in specific as to why it's still necessary for her to bring money if my parents are financing everything for her?
ouflak1 wrote:
Best to just write it yourself. I think there are templates of example letters around on this forum. Maybe somebody far better at forum searches can chime in.
I did manage to find an official sponsorship form on the gov.uk website (SU07). Unless I'm mistaken, I feel it would be best for my parents to sign it as they have better access to house bills etc - please correct me if this is a bad idea!
ouflak1 wrote:
It's not a matter of 'trust'. It's purely a matter of experience. The UK has been taken advantage of so many times in this regards that you would probably have an easier time counting grains of sand on the beach than counting the number times people have broken the rules on visitors (and let's not even mention the other types of entry). Her background and circumstances signal all kinds of alarms to immigration. Lots and lots of people want to enter the UK. The vast majority are honest and will follow the rules to the letter if given the opportunity, but a disturbingly high percentage don't have much respect for the country's laws and customs, as the UK all-too-often finds out the hard way. And it's been like that for decades. That's what you're up against.
I understand that, it's just a shame that honest people have the risk of being denied entry even after obeying all necessary protocols.
ouflak1 wrote:
There are financial requirements for this visa. From your description, I think it will take you some time to get into a position to meet the financial requirements, have savings, and be in a position to bring her over as a fiance. That should also give you both more time to develop your relationship.
I have been informed that due to the benefits I have currently receiving, certain financial requirements will be waived. I'm currently more concerned that outside of Skype logs and pictures we've taken together when I visited her, I fear that we don't have a whole lot of acceptable evidence of a 'genuine relationship'. It also seems odd to apply for a fiancee visa before she's even been to the UK!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:23 pm

SU07 is NOT applicable for a visitor visa. It is for Adult Dependent settlement visas.

Without strong ties, job, money and wanting to stay in the UK for a full 6 months, she does risk being refused entry and returned to her home country.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

xJordannx
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by xJordannx » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:33 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:23 pm
SU07 is NOT applicable for a visitor visa. It is for Adult Dependent settlement visas.
Really? on their website it states: "Use ‘Form SU07’ to support the application of a person who is applying to come to the UK to visit or settle."

xJordannx
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by xJordannx » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:58 pm

Bump

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:14 pm

Honestly, there is very little chance to none of this happening as a visit. And I'm not sure even the Fiance route is viable without the necessary support obligations being met. I'd have to look over the rules again (which have, in my defense, changed), but I thought the possibility of using benefits as evidence of support had been severely restricted some time ago.

xJordannx
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by xJordannx » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:28 pm

ouflak1 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:14 pm
Honestly, there is very little chance to none of this happening as a visit. And I'm not sure even the Fiance route is viable without the necessary support obligations being met. I'd have to look over the rules again (which have, in my defense, changed), but I thought the possibility of using benefits as evidence of support had been severely restricted some time ago.
I do plan on contacting a lawyer to confirm my theories. I have seen on multiple websites such as Citizens Advice that it clearly states: you won't need to meet the financial requirement if you have Personal Independence Payment.

Also:
Appendix FM 1.7: Financial Requirement
(3.6.1)

More information on what is considered 'Adequate Maintenance': Appendix FM 1.7A Adequate Maintenance & Accommodation (3.2)

Let me know what you think.

xJordannx
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by xJordannx » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:57 pm

:?