ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

5-year visitor visa and PPE

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

tulips4u

5-year visitor visa and PPE

Post by tulips4u » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:34 am

Hi,

I’m posting on behalf for a friend. Any advise much appreciated.
My friend is a University Lecturer in India. She already has a 5-year multiple entry family visitor visa with 2 years remaining on it (states C-Family visit on visa sticker) as she has a couple of siblings that are UK citizens who she visits regularly.

She conducted a one-off training course for the students at a UK university last year, by invitation from the University. She didn’t apply for a separate visa (e.g. PPE or similar) as it was not part of the regular curriculum. However, the university has paid her honorarium by adding her to the payroll as an employee (assigning her with a temporary NI number etc), all without her consent to do so, and she has even received a p60 from HMRC that was sent to India. It was only an honorarium as her regular earnings in India are higher. Her airfare was reimbursed separately.

Is she in breach the conditions of her long-term visitor visa ( as she now appears as an HMRC-registered employee)? Would this be an issue when she applies for the next visa? Or, at the BA when she arrives in the UK next?

It is quite confusing as this was not a situation my friend anticipated at all, and would have not agreed to do this Course if she realised that it could affect her long term visa. I am worried that she could be penalised for a mistake made by the University if that were the case.

Any advise is much appreciated, and many thanks in advance.

Casa

Re: 5-year visitor visa and PPE

Post by Casa » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:51 pm

Any voluntary or paid work is not permitted while in the UK on a standard visitor visa.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

tulips4u

Post by tulips4u » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:19 pm

Hi Thanks for your reply. Could you please advise as to what she should do now? Many thanks

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:22 pm

tulips4u wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:19 pm
Hi Thanks for your reply. Could you please advise as to what she should do now? Many thanks
Not really much she can do except hope that it isn't flagged up on the Immigration Officers system at UK Border control on her subsequent entries.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.