ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship for Adopted child, now adult

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

hbt
Newly Registered
Nambia

Citizenship for Adopted child, now adult

Post by hbt » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:01 pm

Hi everyone,

My daughter's adoption order was made after she turned 18. She has been refused a passport because she lost the chance of automatic citizenship once she turned 18. I am Dad and a British citizen by naturalisation.
My question is, what application can i make for her now? She currently has a Biometric Resident Permit that runs out shortly. She has passed her life in uk test and the English language test. I can't find any forms that matches her circumstances. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks all

secret.simon

Re: Citizenship for Adopted child, now adult

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:10 pm

hbt wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:01 pm
My daughter's adoption order was made after she turned 18.
Which country was the adoption order made in? Is it recognised under the Hague Convention? Why was the adoption order made so late? It is quite unusual to adopt an adult and I doubt that there is any leeway for the adoptee to acquire British citizenship after the age of 18 on the basis of adoption.

Also see Intercountry adoption and British citizenship. Be aware that registration under Section 3(1) is not applicable as it can only be used by children under the age of 18.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

hbt
Newly Registered
Nambia

Re: Citizenship for Adopted child, now adult

Post by hbt » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:03 pm

Hi secret.simon,

Adoption order was made in the UK. Much of the delay was due to lengthy DBS processing time, there was an 18 week backlog at the time. The court hearing was adjourned twice because of this.
She wasn’t adopted as an adult. The application was already with the court before she turned 18.
I assume the adoption is recognised by The Hague Convention but I don’t know the implication of that; I’ll read up on it.
Apparently she can’t acquire British citizenship now, but can she apply for indefinite leave? I can’t find any forms that match her circumstances.