ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is my student visa still valid after a new visa application refusal?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kungminhuang
Newly Registered

Is my student visa still valid after a new visa application refusal?

Post by kungminhuang » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:59 am

Hello, I am a Tier 4 student visa holder. I am just about to graduate from my 3 years BA degree. My visa expires in October. I left the UK on 23rd May to make a visa application for Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme, which requires me to apply outside the UK. My visa application was unfortuately unsuccessful due to some mistakes which were made by the office as I believe, and I am asking for an administrative review.

My question is, can I still come back to the UK with my Tier 4 student visa? I am aware that once I get a new visa my old visa will be automatically cancelled, but in my case my application for a new visa was denied and is in administrative review process now. Is my student visa still valid at this point? Is there a way I can check it? And if I enter the UK will it affect my administrative review which was submitted outside the UK in any way?

My graduation will be in July. I don't wish to miss it. Can someone clarify this for me? Thank you!

vinny

Re: Is my student visa still valid after a new visa application refusal?

Post by vinny » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:47 am

Risky, unless you can rely on
8. wrote:It was common ground that leave granted to a student is usually for such a period as to complete the formalities of the course and to attend for personal graduation.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

kungminhuang
Newly Registered

Post by kungminhuang » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:08 am

Hi vinny, thank you for your reply. I understand there is always a risk entering the UK with the student visa while it almost expires. I just would like to know if my student visa is still valid after my application for a new visa got refused and is pending an administrative review?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:16 am

kungminhuang wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:08 am
I understand there is always a risk entering the UK with the student visa while it almost expires.
I think you have misunderstood vinny's advice. It is not an issue in itself that your visa is almost expired. The problem is that you want to enter the UK on a student visa but you are not a student. You risk being refused entry.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

kungminhuang
Newly Registered

Post by kungminhuang » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:18 am

Hi sah10406, thank you for your reply. The situation is that I don't even know if my student visa is still valid or not, since I have made an application for a new T5 visa and got refused.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:23 am

kungminhuang wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:18 am
Hi sah10406, thank you for your reply. The situation is that I don't even know if my student visa is still valid or not, since I have made an application for a new T5 visa and got refused.
It is valid, but only for entering the UK to start or continue the studies it was issued for. Hence our advice that it is not really useful to you anyway.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

kungminhuang
Newly Registered

Post by kungminhuang » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:39 am

sah10406 wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:23 am
kungminhuang wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:18 am
It is valid, but only for entering the UK to start or continue the studies it was issued for. Hence our advice that it is not really useful to you anyway.
I see. Thank you very much for the advice, they are helpful. I wonder if there is a way I can check my student visa's validity though. Also, I wonder if entering the UK at this point will affect my administrative review request which is submitted outside the UK. I am new to this board so I am not sure if I am posting in the correct board for the issue related to administrative review. If not please let me know, thank you!

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:11 am

kungminhuang wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:39 am
I wonder if there is a way I can check my student visa's validity though.
I don't know why you think your visa has been cancelled. It has not.
kungminhuang wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:39 am
Also, I wonder if entering the UK at this point will affect my administrative review request which is submitted outside the UK.
You are right that is not a Tier 4 matter. However page 10 of the guidance on Administrative Review appears to say that asking for leave to enter would effectively withdraw your AR. See https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... e_v8_0.pdf

kungminhuang
Newly Registered

Post by kungminhuang » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:49 am

Thank you for the explanation, really appreciate it. So I have read through the page 10 of the guidance and it says:

'No. If an applicant makes an administrative review application and then makes a new application for entry clearance, leave to enter or leave to remain, the administrative review application will be treated as withdrawn.'

I wonder if entering the UK with my exisiting student visa would be regarded as 'a new application for leave to enter'. I am not a native English speaker so I am not quite sure with the wording, thank you!

And if there is any board I can get further advice on the matter of adminstrative review, please let me know.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:00 am

kungminhuang wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:49 am
I wonder if entering the UK with my exisiting student visa would be regarded as 'a new application for leave to enter'.
My understanding is that it would. I advise checking with an immigration legal adviser.
kungminhuang wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:49 am
And if there is any board I can get further advice on the matter of adminstrative review, please let me know.
If you need advice on your AR, you should get professional one-to-one advice. No disrespect, but this is not something to safely outsource to random strangers on an online forum.

tcpm
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by tcpm » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:30 pm

Hi, I wonder how your case went in the end? I have a similar situation (instead of a refusal I am considering to withdraw the Tier 5 application) so I wanted to check if you could enter the UK with student visa? Hope things went well!