ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Lost BRP before ILR application

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

akillikartal
Newly Registered
Turkey

Lost BRP before ILR application

Post by akillikartal » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:44 pm

Hi,

I lost my BRP on 19/07/18 while I was planning to apply for ILR on 03/08/18.
The loss was reported to the nearest police station (in person) and then the home office online.

While filling out the Set(O) form online, documents section requires the following:
Evidence of immigration status in the UK

This normally means the BRP card as mentioned in other posts in this forum. Having lost the BRP, I have two options:
(1) Apply for replacement BRP, wait for up to 8 weeks, send the replaced BRP as evidence of immigration status.
(2) Proceed with the ILR application on Aug 03 without BRP, enclosing a Cover Letter for the Home Office describing the situation. The online form already asks the candidate to state where and how the card was lost.

It sounds like a complete waste of time and effort to delay the ILR application due to a non-existing BRP as I will be sending my passport anyway. The replaced BRP will no longer be valid once I send the card to Home Office if I go for option (1)

Option (2) sounds reasonable but Set(O) form has the following scary statement:

If you do not provide these documents, your application may be delayed or refused.

Questions:
What is your advice on the above options? Do you think the application might be refused or delayed because of this? Is it worth putting in a scanned copy of my lost BRP card as evidence?

Thanks

akillikartal
Newly Registered
Turkey

Re: Lost BRP before ILR application

Post by akillikartal » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:55 pm

Set(O) Guidance notes say the following:

The reasons for not being able to provide the original document must be explained in a
covering letter. We are unlikely to grant your application without the original document.

Doesn't the second sentence refute the first? "Write a covering letter but we will not accept it anyway"???

cyclina1
Hong Kong

Post by cyclina1 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:42 pm

If your leave to remain still valid, wait until you have the replacement is the safest option. when will your leave to remain expire?

And do you have a copy of your BRP?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:19 am

I think they would expect original documents of documents that they had not issued.
A scanned copy would help.
One would expect for them to have details of your BRP in their records.
They should be able to certify the copies of their own issued documents.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

akillikartal
Newly Registered
Turkey

Post by akillikartal » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:22 am

@cyclina1 my leave to remain will expire on 31/08/19 so I have enough time to wait for replacement.
I have a digital copy of my lost BRP which I can just print.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:22 pm

akillikartal wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:22 am
@cyclina1 my leave to remain will expire on 31/08/19 so I have enough time to wait for replacement.
I have a digital copy of my lost BRP which I can just print.
Go with the advice vinny has given you. Print out of the BRP and letter explaining. Replacements are taking more than 8 weeks at present.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.