ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UKM application experience and timeline

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

tips
Newly Registered

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by tips » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:11 pm

tips wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:27 pm
Expertcitizen is indeed correct. This case was a while, it was a British woman who had a child out of wedlock with an Indian national and then the child was adopted by an Indian family. The child found out that he had a British birth mother and applied for citizenship based on her nationality. It was refused on the grounds that the mother had given up all claims (including citizenship) on the child at the point of adoption. The case rambled on about parents not understanding the ramifications of adoption etc etc but they did give him the ability to claim an ancestral visa based on his grandparents!! It was a bit of a dogs breakfast of a decision and maybe it has since been repealed but it was a strange scenario.
I just remebered it was something to do with the citizenship and the term LEGAL parent/s. A child that has been adopted's legal parent/s are now the the parents they work with. the name change you speak of are for those that where born with another name (some countries do not issue new adopted birth name certificates with the adoptive name on it) and the adoptive parents are British nationals then the claim is thru the legal parents. As i said this case was a good few years ago but good luck with the application and let us know the outcome.

Shaun45
South Africa

Post by Shaun45 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:03 pm

After reading this I have been in tears. If this is true in my case then it's a serious blow to my chances of obtaining citizenship.

This is so wrong on many levels. I have NO South African blood whatsoever. All my biological maternal family is British/Irish. How can I be prejudiced because I was given up for adoption due to circumstances beyond my biological mothers control when I was born? What say did say did I have in the matter? I have a British soul yet I'm denied my birth right to British citizenship.

Do you have any reference to this case?

I am still hopeful that I will be succesful. :cry:

expertcitizen
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by expertcitizen » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:55 am

I was trawling thru the citizenship act and found this pearler: Sean i am certain your application will be fine. As this sentence puts your claim firmly in being accepted as a British Citizen:
"British children adopted by non-British nationals do not lose British nationality, even if they acquire a foreign nationality as a result of the adoption."

Shaun45
South Africa

Post by Shaun45 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:07 pm

I think they might be referring to "British born" children.

expertcitizen
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by expertcitizen » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:01 am

You stated that you had a vault copy of your birth certificate and youbwhere British/Irish. What does it say as to your father? If your father is stated and is indeed Irish then you may have a case for Irish Citizenship.

Shaun45
South Africa

Post by Shaun45 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:29 am

expertcitizen wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:01 am
You stated that you had a vault copy of your birth certificate and youbwhere British/Irish. What does it say as to your father? If your father is stated and is indeed Irish then you may have a case for Irish Citizenship.
The vault copy of my birth certificate gives the details of my British born birth mother. The rest of my maternal family (maternal grandparents and great grand parents) are British/Irish.

Shaun45
South Africa

Post by Shaun45 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:33 am

In other words...I was born in South Africa to a British born mother. I am a South African citizen. Shortly after my birth I was adopted in South Africa by a South African couple.
My birth mother was unmarried at the time of my birth...

expertcitizen
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by expertcitizen » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:11 pm

Did your Grandfather obtain an Irish passport? If so your mother can and so can you.

KZ303
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by KZ303 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:49 am

How have Americans managed to ship it with return label/envelope? (This seems like it should be the easiest part!) I'd like to send it quickly to the UK with tracking, along with the required return label/envelope for a more leisurely and cheap return.
  • I went to UPS - They've told me that they can't do it, I should go ask USPS. (They claim there's an issue with preparing the return label for another country.)
    • I go to USPS - They tell me that they can't do it, and that I should go ask UPS. (I'm given the same excuse.)
      • I go to FedEx - I can create a foreign shipping label, but after the first two reactions, above, I'm not sure that'll work in practice, and it costs like three times as much, or about $130 each way!
      I can't be the first person who's tried this.

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:40 am

KZ303 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:49 am
How have Americans managed to ship it with return label/envelope? (This seems like it should be the easiest part!) I'd like to send it quickly to the UK with tracking, along with the required return label/envelope for a more leisurely and cheap return.
  • I went to UPS - They've told me that they can't do it, I should go ask USPS. (They claim there's an issue with preparing the return label for another country.)
    • I go to USPS - They tell me that they can't do it, and that I should go ask UPS. (I'm given the same excuse.)
      • I go to FedEx - I can create a foreign shipping label, but after the first two reactions, above, I'm not sure that'll work in practice, and it costs like three times as much, or about $130 each way!
I think you can buy a prepaid label online from Parcelforce. Also, if you don’t send a label, they will send your documents back through Royal Mail 2nd Class.

a_powers
United States of America

Post by a_powers » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:57 am

KZ303 wrote:
I couldn't figure out the return envelope problem so I didn't send one. They sent docs back via DHL anyway.

sarlouisesmith
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by sarlouisesmith » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:18 pm

KZ303 wrote:
I didn't send a return envelope or label and they returned all my documents to me through regular Royal Mail. It took about 7-10 days from the time they approved my application for me to receive my documents.

KZ303
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by KZ303 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:27 pm

a_powers wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:57 am
KZ303 wrote:
I couldn't figure out the return envelope problem so I didn't send one. They sent docs back via DHL anyway.
I couldn't in good conscience send without tracking for return. So, got return from UPS by setting up an "import" per call to their 800 number. I'll put that in an envelope from US to UK that I'll send via USPS with the application, as I've now paid the expensive portion for the return trip. I'd like to think they'd send via DHL, but the form says they'll send 2nd class Royal Mail. Royal Mail says specifically that they don't suggest sending anything valuable via 2nd class... Mom'd kill me if I lost her birth certificate!

Thanks all for your replies. Now I'll finally send and update when possible.

samanthabw
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by samanthabw » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:40 pm

I did my biometrics today but I am not sure which address you send the receipt to.
I don't understand the difference between Non-settlement applications and Settlement applications because neither lists UKM on there. I also can't tell if that is just for Visas and not for Nationality.
Did you guys have to send your proof of biometrics done to an address?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:20 am

samanthabw wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:40 pm
I did my biometrics today but I am not sure which address you send the receipt to.
I don't understand the difference between Non-settlement applications and Settlement applications because neither lists UKM on there. I also can't tell if that is just for Visas and not for Nationality.
Did you guys have to send your proof of biometrics done to an address?
You don't need to send anything. The centre or post office does it electronically.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:05 pm

For the biometrics, how do they debit the additional GBP19.20 ? Is it debited along with the GBP80 ceremony fee at once, via the payment details provided in the payslip ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:14 am

sunburn wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:05 pm
For the biometrics, how do they debit the additional GBP19.20 ? Is it debited along with the GBP80 ceremony fee at once, via the payment details provided in the payslip ?
The £19.20 fee is only relevant if you are Enrolling biometrics at the post office in the UK!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Shaun45
South Africa

Post by Shaun45 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:14 am

CR001 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:14 am
sunburn wrote:
The £19.20 fee is only relevant if you are Enrolling biometrics at the post office in the UK!!
So is there no fee charged at TLS Contact centre if you are enrolling overseas?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:27 am

Shaun45 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:14 am
CR001 wrote:
sunburn wrote:
I believe there is not no.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

balles
Somalia

Post by balles » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:09 am

Shaun45 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:14 am
CR001 wrote:
sunburn wrote:
I have just recently enrolled my biometrics with TLS Contact in SA. I confirm that there is no charge for this service.

Shaun45
South Africa

Post by Shaun45 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:19 am

Ok thanks. I'm going on Friday.

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:23 pm

Thank you for the responses! I’m a US citizen applicant from California .

My intended referees are both American citizens - one a doctor and the other a former notary public, both known to me for over a decade . I only know one person who I think is a UK national, but may be unlikely to get him on board. Hopefully this doesn’t present a problem .

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:55 pm

Hopefully some others are seeing this. I have had my application in for 5 weeks, and have not heard any word on Biometrics. They have taken the ceremony fee from my account, but as of yet, I haven't heard anything. I'm not sure if there is an issue, or it's just taking a while. Most people are reporting that they get the request to set up an appointment very shortly after the fee is taken. I'm in the United States, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Lisanduk
Newly Registered

Post by Lisanduk » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:46 pm

In my personal experience it's not a problem. It took a couple of months before I got biometric appt. I think it just depends on who is handling your case. I certainly learned that patience is the key. 9 months later I got my British Citizenship yesterday at a ceremony in Houston! Now for the passport.....😃

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:19 pm

Lisanduk wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:46 pm
In my personal experience it's not a problem. It took a couple of months before I got biometric appt. I think it just depends on who is handling your case. I certainly learned that patience is the key. 9 months later I got my British Citizenship yesterday at a ceremony in Houston! Now for the passport.....😃
Congratulations!! Thank you. It makes me feel a least a little better knowing I'm not the only one. It seems that others have more consistently received the biometric request very quickly after the fees were debited. I emailed the UKVI to try to find out if the delay is expected, and was told that they could not help me as I'm in the UK. I'm not. The response advised me to email a different team, and forwarded me to the same contact form that I had used to email them in the first place. If it was free to email them, I wouldn't mind the misunderstanding so much. I can see how people get frustrated with the whole process.