ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of employment before premium service appointment

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

A6876
Newly Registered
United States of America

Change of employment before premium service appointment

Post by A6876 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:29 pm

Hi all,

Applying for unmarried partner's visa - submitted the online application and paid on July 18, and I have a premium service appointment booked for August 31.

BUT things just got a lot more complicated!!

After I submitted the application (i.e. now I can't change it), my partner was offered a new job (really good opportunity for him). He's going to start working for his new employer on August 22. He's now given notice at his current employer.

My question is, do I either:

(a) Just submit the financial evidence from his old job, as it says to do on my supporting documents checklist, and not mention the new job at all, to avoid confusion? This runs the risk of both: them checking and realising he's quit his old job, and also: some of the financial evidence being slightly more than 28 days out of date of the August 31 appointment.

(b) Add a cover letter to the application, giving all the details of his new job, and bring all the supporting documents necessary from his new job along to the appointment. Plus the necessary evidence from his old job going back 12 months instead of 6, as required for an employment position held for less than 6 months. HOWEVER this runs the risk of the official application itself being considered false information, even though it was true at the time I submitted it!

Please note both jobs had a salary well above the £18,600 limit.

I'm leaning towards option (b), but I'm SO worried that putting all this in a cover letter, rather than in the official application, will mean the visa is denied!

I thought about cancelling the application entirely, but apparently I won't get a refund if I do, so I figure I may as well go ahead and try.

Any advice is really welcome, sorry for the complicated scenario!

equitydealer
Member of Standing

Re: Change of employment before premium service appointment

Post by equitydealer » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:19 pm

You’ve complicated your application, your partner should have negotiated a start date for later to avoid this scenario.

If the UKVI check with his current employer they are likely so state he is serving out his notice so definitely don’t try and hide this. Your best bet is a covering letter with a signed contract for the new role. Ideally also provide confirmation that your partner has passed their reference checks so that there’s nothing preventing him from taking up his new post. Explain this to the caseworker when your hand over your paperwork so if they have any questions you can answer them there and then. Take as much correspondence with you from his new employer about the role, incase the caseworker has any questions.

My understanding is that financial documents need to be no older than 28 days, so get a final payslip issued from his current employer if possible and a bank statement showing the corresponding entry. You will probably only need to show 6 months of documentation as I assume the new employer can’t issue an interim payslip, but no harm in 12 if you wish to do so.
My comments do not constitute immigration advice, if in doubt consult an immigration adviser/solicitor

A6876
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: Change of employment before premium service appointment

Post by A6876 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:38 pm

equitydealer wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:19 pm
You’ve complicated your application, your partner should have negotiated a start date for later to avoid this scenario.

If the UKVI check with his current employer they are likely so state he is serving out his notice so definitely don’t try and hide this. Your best bet is a covering letter with a signed contract for the new role. Ideally also provide confirmation that your partner has passed their reference checks so that there’s nothing preventing him from taking up his new post. Explain this to the caseworker when your hand over your paperwork so if they have any questions you can answer them there and then. Take as much correspondence with you from his new employer about the role, incase the caseworker has any questions.

My understanding is that financial documents need to be no older than 28 days, so get a final payslip issued from his current employer if possible and a bank statement showing the corresponding entry. You will probably only need to show 6 months of documentation as I assume the new employer can’t issue an interim payslip, but no harm in 12 if you wish to do so.
Believe me, I realise I've complicated my application! Not too happy that my partner gave notice at his current job without understanding (or checking with me) that it might affect the visa application!

Thanks very much for the advice!

Just a question - in case we do need an "interim" payslip to meet the 28 day rule for financial documents, doesn't the fact that it will be less than £1550 (since it will only be for half a month or so) mean that it will mess up the calculation of the £18,600 minimum being calculated by the lowest payslip?

I think we may need an interim payslip because his July payslip will be from July 27 (last Friday of the month), so not valid for an August 31 appointment.