ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Housing for EU couple

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rociosantana87
Newly Registered
Argentina

Housing for EU couple

Post by rociosantana87 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:38 am

Hi everyone! When starting to look at what the housing market looks like in Ireland, have you got any advice on where to start looking for rentals? Any specialized website you can recommend?

I've read that most tenants will ask for a letter of recommendation, what was your experience when first moving? My husband and I don't know anyone in Ireland, we only have friends and familiy in London and Edinburgh..

Looking forward to your suggestions!

Ro

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Housing for EU couple

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:47 am

Members are not permitted to post recommendations or weblinks. A simple Google search will give you loads of results. It also depends hugely on where you are moving to in Ireland.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

rociosantana87
Newly Registered
Argentina

Post by rociosantana87 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:23 pm

Thanks!!

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:10 pm

rociosantana87 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:38 am
Hi everyone! When starting to look at what the housing market looks like in Ireland, have you got any advice on where to start looking for rentals? Any specialized website you can recommend?

I've read that most tenants will ask for a letter of recommendation, what was your experience when first moving? My husband and I don't know anyone in Ireland, we only have friends and familiy in London and Edinburgh..

Looking forward to your suggestions!

Ro
There is a housing crisis in Dublin at the moment so expect to pay a lot of money for not great accommodation, if you can find one! Several newspapers reported a few months ago that Dublin has overtaken London in a world-wide cost of living ranking so if you have family living in London that should give you an idea. A one bed apartment in Dublin city centre at the moment is about €1,500.00 a month not including any utility bills.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

ryuzaki

Post by ryuzaki » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:43 am

Assuming you are okay with the cost, do you need letters of recommendation etc?

I don't have any former landlords (always lived with family) so it will be the first time renting. My wife does but the documents would be in Chinese.

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:18 pm

ryuzaki wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:43 am
Assuming you are okay with the cost, do you need letters of recommendation etc?

I don't have any former landlords (always lived with family) so it will be the first time renting. My wife does but the documents would be in Chinese.
Unfortunately most leasing companies or landlords in Ireland require a letter of reference from previous leasing company or landlord in Ireland and a letter of reference from your current employer, some will ask for your most recent pay slips as well.

If this is the first time you are renting in Ireland then obviously a letter of reference from previous leasing company or landlord won’t apply but you can always go to your employer’s HR department and get a letter of reference from them. If you live with family members or friends for a while in Ireland they can draft a letter for you as well.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

ryuzaki

Post by ryuzaki » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:50 am

Thank you max307, that's very helpful.

I am moving to Ireland and obviously need somewhere to live from day one... The company I'm working for is just taking me on so I don't know about letters of recommendation, I can ask I suppose. I can show my confirmed offer of employment (not the original, that needs to be submitted as part of my wife's visa application).

I guess I'll have to just talk to them and try to sort something out. I guess they want a month's rent and some kind of deposit up front, I can do that.

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:30 pm

ryuzaki wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:50 am
Thank you max307, that's very helpful.

I am moving to Ireland and obviously need somewhere to live from day one... The company I'm working for is just taking me on so I don't know about letters of recommendation, I can ask I suppose. I can show my confirmed offer of employment (not the original, that needs to be submitted as part of my wife's visa application).

I guess I'll have to just talk to them and try to sort something out. I guess they want a month's rent and some kind of deposit up front, I can do that.
If your company isn't providing temporary accommodation (some companies include that in the relocation package) then I guess you can rent a B&B for few weeks until you find a place to live. If their HR office is in Ireland they will be familiar with a letter of reference for a leasing company/landlord, I'm pretty sure you won't be the first employee asking for one :)

Most leasing companies/landlords require the letters of reference, first month's rent and a deposit which basically equals another month's rent. When the leasing is over and if there are no issues in the property/apartment that deposit is refundable.

ryuzaki

Post by ryuzaki » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:11 pm

Thanks, I'll ask the company about it. I was planning to stay in a hotel for a bit while I find somewhere, that seems like the best option.