ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bringing Non EU spouse to Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Administrator

vainnessamay
Newly Registered
Ireland

Bringing Non EU spouse to Ireland

Post by vainnessamay » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:30 am

Hello I am an irish citizen and recently ( after a long distance relationship with plenty visits back and forth, messaging, skyping etc) got engaged to a wonderful american man. We hope to move to America later in life but for now we are hoping to start our future together in Ireland.

I heard it would be an easier process if I marry him first and then arrive in Ireland together. Then upon our arrival at the airport he would have to state that he wishes to become a citizen based on our marriage status and security then will stamp his passport? I am not too clear on that part.

After that we are to go to the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS) registration office in Dublin or to my local Garda immigration officer and show

 Your original marriage/civil partnership certificate
 Your original passport
 Your spouse/civil partner’s original passport
 Evidence of your joint address in Ireland

However, I am confused on how to show evidence of our joint address. We are a long distance couple and have only been back and forth to each others countries, the longest we have ever stayed in each others country is about 6 weeks. If anyone could help me I would be so grateful! :D

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Bringing Non EU spouse to Ireland

Post by max307 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:18 pm

vainnessamay wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:30 am
Hello I am an irish citizen and recently ( after a long distance relationship with plenty visits back and forth, messaging, skyping etc) got engaged to a wonderful american man. We hope to move to America later in life but for now we are hoping to start our future together in Ireland.

I heard it would be an easier process if I marry him first and then arrive in Ireland together. Then upon our arrival at the airport he would have to state that he wishes to become a citizen based on our marriage status and security then will stamp his passport? I am not too clear on that part.

After that we are to go to the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS) registration office in Dublin or to my local Garda immigration officer and show

 Your original marriage/civil partnership certificate
 Your original passport
 Your spouse/civil partner’s original passport
 Evidence of your joint address in Ireland

However, I am confused on how to show evidence of our joint address. We are a long distance couple and have only been back and forth to each others countries, the longest we have ever stayed in each others country is about 6 weeks. If anyone could help me I would be so grateful! :D
Few things here:

- Once you are married in the US - I assume - he can enter Ireland with or without you since he’s not a visa required national, he will enter the country same way as when on holidays. He will get a regular holiday stamp in his passport.

- Within 90 days of his arrival both of you will need to go to the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS) registration office in Dublin or to your local Garda immigration officer with the documents you just listed above. The proof of address is for those initial 90 days while he’s living with you in Ireland, I assume he will get a bank account, an Irish phone number or some utility bill in his name so that should cover the proof of address part of it.

*** And one last thing, he won’t become an Irish citizen after the marriage. Both of you will be applying for residence, if the application is approved he will be granted a Stamp 4 (allowed to reside, work, study, etc.) and then after 3 years of Stamp 4 in Ireland he will be eligible to apply for naturalisation (Irish citizenship) based on the marriage to an Irish citizen.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:18 pm

max307 wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:18 pm
Both of you will be applying for residence
Her husband would need a residence permit. But why would vainessamay also need to apply for residence if - as she stated - she is an Irish citizen?

vainnessamay
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by vainnessamay » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:04 pm

max307 wrote:
Few things here:

- Once you are married in the US - I assume - he can enter Ireland with or without you since he’s not a visa required national, he will enter the country same way as when on holidays. He will get a regular holiday stamp in his passport.

- Within 90 days of his arrival both of you will need to go to the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS) registration office in Dublin or to your local Garda immigration officer with the documents you just listed above. The proof of address is for those initial 90 days while he’s living with you in Ireland, I assume he will get a bank account, an Irish phone number or some utility bill in his name so that should cover the proof of address part of it.

*** And one last thing, he won’t become an Irish citizen after the marriage. Both of you will be applying for residence, if the application is approved he will be granted a Stamp 4 (allowed to reside, work, study, etc.) and then after 3 years of Stamp 4 in Ireland he will be eligible to apply for naturalisation (Irish citizenship) based on the marriage to an Irish citizen.
Thank you so much for all the info, I really appreciate it! I heard for proof of address they usually ask for more than just one proof of address. Regarding making a bank account, would my fiancé be able to make one even though he wouldn't be a resident yet?

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:54 pm

PasadenaTom wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:18 pm
max307 wrote:
Both of you will be applying for residence
Her husband would need a residence permit. But why would vainessamay also need to apply for residence if - as she stated - she is an Irish citizen?
I meant both of them because they need to attend together to the appointment, apologies for the misunderstanding. Obviously OP is an Irish citizen so she does't need to apply for residence.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:00 pm

vainnessamay wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:04 pm
max307 wrote:
Few things here:

Thank you so much for all the info, I really appreciate it! I heard for proof of address they usually ask for more than just one proof of address. Regarding making a bank account, would my fiancé be able to make one even though he wouldn't be a resident yet?
Yes, the banks in Ireland do not need any proof of residence or immigration status to open a bank account. His US passport and a proof of address should be OK but call the bank beforehand just in case there are new requirements.

One thing bring proof of address for you as well. You can get both your names on the Virgin Media bill, gas bill or electricity bill just by calling the provider but make sure that the name is spelled in the utility bill as in his passport to avoid any issues :)

vainnessamay
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by vainnessamay » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:32 pm

max307 wrote:

Yes, the banks in Ireland do not need any proof of residence or immigration status to open a bank account. His US passport and a proof of address should be OK but call the bank beforehand just in case there are new requirements.

One thing bring proof of address for you as well. You can get both your names on the Virgin Media bill, gas bill or electricity bill just by calling the provider but make sure that the name is spelled in the utility bill as in his passport to avoid any issues :)
You are an absolute gem, thank you so much :D One more question if I may, is there any requirement to show I am financially stable? Or the four documents listed before are all that are needed?

I am so sorry for all the questions, I am just really worried something will go wrong so I just want to be very certain before we proceed.

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:14 pm

vainnessamay wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:32 pm
max307 wrote:

You are an absolute gem, thank you so much :D One more question if I may, is there any requirement to show I am financially stable? Or the four documents listed before are all that are needed?

I am so sorry for all the questions, I am just really worried something will go wrong so I just want to be very certain before we proceed.
Do not worry, I'm happy to share what I know so feel free to ask away.

Once you are legally married INIS won't go into financial situation unless they suspect there is something fishy with the marriage and the only intention was to gain residence in Ireland/the EU.

Unless they change the process tomorrow the only documents you need to bring to the appointment for your husband’s Stamp 4 are:

- Your original marriage/civil partnership certificate
- Your original Irish passport
- Your spouse/civil partner’s original passport
- Evidence of your joint address in Ireland

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:23 pm

I forgot to add that if you are planning to go the INIS office in Dublin an appointment is needed, make sure you book the appointment well in advance since daily time slots are limited. I recommend to book months in advance to avoid any issues since you have only 90 days from his arrival to get registered for Stamp 4.

See below the website to book the appointment:

https://burghquayregistrationoffice.inis.gov.ie/

If you are planning to register somewhere else in the country get in touch with your local Garda station.

Zoot7
Mood:
Ireland

Post by Zoot7 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:21 pm

I'm an Irish Citizen and my wife is from the Philippines.

Both times we've met with the immigration officier (we live outside Dublin) thus far we haven't been asked for proof of address at all. We've been asked for an address, but not a utility bill or some proof of that address.

You may not even be asked for it based on my experience, depending on where you go and who you meet. However your mileage will vary.

I think what you can do is if you don't have a utility bill or something in your joint names, you can get a utility bill in the name of the person you'll be staying with and get them to write a letter saying you're both staying with them. That might be accepted. My wife got a PPS number that way.

Best way though is just to put both names on an electric bill or something. It'll take a month to actually get it, but you have 90 days from arrival to register which should be enough time.

vainnessamay
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by vainnessamay » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:48 am

max307 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:23 pm
I forgot to add that if you are planning to go the INIS office in Dublin an appointment is needed, make sure you book the appointment well in advance since daily time slots are limited. I recommend to book months in advance to avoid any issues since you have only 90 days from his arrival to get registered for Stamp 4.

If you are planning to register somewhere else in the country get in touch with your local Garda station.
Thank you again kind sir. I was wondering about when we arrive at the airport, is it advised that I go with my husband to security together? Do we then tell security that he would like to become a resident based on our status and then he gets a stamp on his passport or is the stamp only for those who need a visa to enter Ireland?

I'm really worried they'll be suspicious of us or something. We are both in our early twenties and he plans to move to Ireland straight away after our wedding. I really hope everything goes well.

vainnessamay
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by vainnessamay » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:50 am

Zoot7 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:21 pm
I'm an Irish Citizen and my wife is from the Philippines.

Both times we've met with the immigration officier (we live outside Dublin) thus far we haven't been asked for proof of address at all. We've been asked for an address, but not a utility bill or some proof of that address.

You may not even be asked for it based on my experience, depending on where you go and who you meet. However your mileage will vary.

I think what you can do is if you don't have a utility bill or something in your joint names, you can get a utility bill in the name of the person you'll be staying with and get them to write a letter saying you're both staying with them. That might be accepted. My wife got a PPS number that way.

Best way though is just to put both names on an electric bill or something. It'll take a month to actually get it, but you have 90 days from arrival to register which should be enough time.
Hello, I'm glad yours went smoothly. I am actually Filipino myself but I am born and raised in Ireland. Thank you for your advice, I hope our goes well too.

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:30 pm

vainnessamay wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:48 am
max307 wrote:

Thank you again kind sir. I was wondering about when we arrive at the airport, is it advised that I go with my husband to security together? Do we then tell security that he would like to become a resident based on our status and then he gets a stamp on his passport or is the stamp only for those who need a visa to enter Ireland?

I'm really worried they'll be suspicious of us or something. We are both in our early twenties and he plans to move to Ireland straight away after our wedding. I really hope everything goes well.
I'm sorry but I don't understand your question.

He will be allowed to enter Ireland with or without you based on his nationality (US citizen) unless he committed a crime in Ireland or abroad and immigration know about it, he had/has bad history with Irish immigration or for some reasons there are national security concerns by letting him into the country which I assume it’s not the case here.

If you wish to go through immigration with him you absolutely can, the stamp he will be getting at the port of entry it’s only a holiday stamp though. His residence stamp (Stamp 4) will be issued once you meet the immigration officer either in Dublin or in your county of residence with the paperwork mentioned before and his application is reviewed and approved.

Once you are married there shouldn’t be any issues.

vainnessamay
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by vainnessamay » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:02 pm

max307 wrote:

I'm sorry but I don't understand your question.

He will be allowed to enter Ireland with or without you based on his nationality (US citizen) unless he committed a crime in Ireland or abroad and immigration know about it, he had/has bad history with Irish immigration or for some reasons there are national security concerns by letting him into the country which I assume it’s not the case here.

If you wish to go through immigration with him you absolutely can, the stamp he will be getting at the port of entry it’s only a holiday stamp though. His residence stamp (Stamp 4) will be issued once you meet the immigration officer either in Dublin or in your county of residence with the paperwork mentioned before and his application is reviewed and approved.

Once you are married there shouldn’t be any issues.
I am sorry I was confused with myself that's why my question earlier didn't make sense. I completely understand now.

vainnessamay
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by vainnessamay » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:38 am

Hi guys! Hopefully someone can give me a bit of encouragement. I'm just still so worried we will be refused because of things like our age which they may use as a factor to doubt our genuine relationship. I'll be 21 and he'll be 22.

Also the INIS office has been proving to be quite difficult to book an appointment. I know they have certain times where they release appointments where I have been trying. A few people told me I'm better off refreshing the INIS page multiple times a day to try grab an appointment. However, no such luck. :cry:

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:20 pm

vainnessamay wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:38 am
Hi guys! Hopefully someone can give me a bit of encouragement. I'm just still so worried we will be refused because of things like our age which they may use as a factor to doubt our genuine relationship. I'll be 21 and he'll be 22.

Also the INIS office has been proving to be quite difficult to book an appointment. I know they have certain times where they release appointments where I have been trying. A few people told me I'm better off refreshing the INIS page multiple times a day to try grab an appointment. However, no such luck. :cry:
Once you are legally married and bring your marriage certificate to your appointment there is nothing INIS can do about it, age won't be an issue here.

The appointment booking is a hassle and unfortunately nothing we can do about it, keep trying every single day until you get an appointment. Usually around 10AM they release unused time slots, you just need to keep trying.