ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 Dependent Child born in UK

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Riyadhian
Newly Registered

Tier 2 Dependent Child born in UK

Post by Riyadhian » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:46 pm

Dear All,

I tried to look for answers for my query but couldn't find any clear answer to my situation in particular.

Me and my wife (my tier 2 dependent) were initially given Tier 2 General Visa for 3 Years in July 2013. Then my daughter was born in the UK in December 2015. I got her registered as Pakistani Citizen (Got her Pakistani Passport made). In July 2016 I had my Tier 2 General Extension for another 3 years (expiring July 2019) at which point I got my British born daughter registered as Tier 2 General Dependent.

Now in July 2018 I alongwith my wife have become eligible for ILR through Tier 2 General 5 Year route. However I am not clear/unsure about my British Born (Pakistani Citizenship registered) Tier 2 General dependent daughter. Ultimately I want her to get British Citizenship. So the query is:

Can I apply her citizenship straight after my ILR? Or do I need to do something different? As stated above our Tier 2 General Visas are still valid until July 2019.

Any guidance from the Experts would greatly help.

Thank You.

ouflak1

Re: Tier 2 Dependent Child born in UK

Post by ouflak1 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:53 pm

Riyadhian wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:46 pm

Can I apply her citizenship straight after my ILR? Or do I need to do something different?
Yes. She will be entitled to register as a British Citizen under section 1(3) on the day you receive your ILR.

Riyadhian
Newly Registered

Post by Riyadhian » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:35 pm

Thanks for a quick reply outflak1. So for clarity, I don't have to switch her to ILR from Tier 2 Dependent alongwith us but can go directly to British Citizenship?

Also once I have my ILR, do I have to take her through Naturalization or can I go directly for British Passport for her?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:38 pm

1. No she does not need ILR.

2. No she cannot apply directly for a passport because she is not british yet. You must register her as British on form MN1, current cost is £1033, and is separate to the passport application and fee.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Riyadhian
Newly Registered

Post by Riyadhian » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:46 pm

Thank You Both. It is now very clear what I need to do.

onlyfarhan
Newly Registered

Post by onlyfarhan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:32 am

CR001 is correct.

She would have been British if at the time of birth either you or your wife had ILR or British Citizenship. Since she was born before either of you were permanent residents therefore she will need to be naturalised first and then applied for the passport.

Riyadhian
Newly Registered

Post by Riyadhian » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:06 pm

Thank You everyone for your answers. I alongwith my wife was grated ILR Yesterday at Sheffield PEO. The whole process was smooth and only took 90 minutes overall.

One last question, now that me and my wife have ILR

1. Can I continue my child on Tier 2 dependent until its expiry date? This is purely to avoid paying for MN1 at this stage after a costly ILR.
2. Can my daughter travel in and out of UK while on Tier 2 Dependent even though I have changed my status to ILR?

Thanks again :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:08 pm

Riyadhian wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:06 pm
Thank You everyone for your answers. I alongwith my wife was grated ILR Yesterday at Sheffield PEO. The whole process was smooth and only took 90 minutes overall.

One last question, now that me and my wife have ILR

1. Can I continue my child on Tier 2 dependent until its expiry date? This is purely to avoid paying for MN1 at this stage after a costly ILR.
2. Can my daughter travel in and out of UK while on Tier 2 Dependent even though I have changed my status to ILR?

Thanks again :)
Yes and yes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.