ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU national in non-EU country married to Chinese

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

DarrylRaquel
Newly Registered
Mood:
Macau

EU national in non-EU country married to Chinese

Post by DarrylRaquel » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:49 pm

Hello everyone

I'm an EU national (Portuguese) married to a Chinese national from mainland China. We live in Macau and are planning for a relocation to the UK. (1)Are there any restrictions imposed on Chinese nationals by the UK on immigration? (2) Can my husband apply for a family permit while traveling in the UK as a tourist in the UK? (3) Do I have to be in the UK first when I file for his application?

Thank you in advance for your kindest attention. I await your reply.

Raquel

DarrylRaquel
Newly Registered
Mood:
Macau

Re: EU national in non-EU country married to Chinese

Post by DarrylRaquel » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:21 pm

Hello everyone

I posted the above letter a few days ago. Much appreciation if someone can address these queries. Thank you again in advance.

Raquel

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:36 pm

Husband can apply for family permit.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:17 pm

DarrylRaquel wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:49 pm
I'm an EU national (Portuguese) married to a Chinese national from mainland China. We live in Macau and are planning for a relocation to the UK. (1)Are there any restrictions imposed on Chinese nationals by the UK on immigration? (2) Can my husband apply for a family permit while traveling in the UK as a tourist in the UK? (3) Do I have to be in the UK first when I file for his application?
He can apply for a 'family permit' while you are both in Macao.

What sort of Chinese passport does your husband have? If he had a passport issued by Macao SAR he would not need a visa or family permit to travel to the UK.

DarrylRaquel
Newly Registered
Mood:
Macau

Post by DarrylRaquel » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:41 am

Thank you both for your replies. My husband holds a Chinese passport issued by the mainland Chinese government, not from the Macau government. So does he apply for a family permit in China and once issued can we travel together to the UK? Or is there a prerequisite for me to be a "qualified person" first in the UK before he can apply for a family permit? My understanding is that while outside the EEA, we're supposed to apply for a family permit for my husband and then we will travel together to the UK within 6 months after his application. I wish to confirm. Thank you very much.

Raquel

DarrylRaquel
Newly Registered
Mood:
Macau

Post by DarrylRaquel » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:58 am

Hello there

Could someone address my query above dated Aug 6th? Thank you very much for your kind attention.

:D

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:16 pm

DarrylRaquel wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:41 am
Thank you both for your replies. My husband holds a Chinese passport issued by the mainland Chinese government, not from the Macau government. So does he apply for a family permit in China and once issued can we travel together to the UK?
If he's living in Macao legally, he can apply there. Otherwise, he may have to apply from mainland China.
DarrylRaquel wrote:
Or is there a prerequisite for me to be a "qualified person" first in the UK before he can apply for a family permit?
No, he can accompany you on your initial 3 months in the UK whether or not you have become a qualified person.
DarrylRaquel wrote:
My understanding is that while outside the EEA, we're supposed to apply for a family permit for my husband and then we will travel together to the UK within 6 months after his application.
You can travel to the UK first and he can join you later. However, if you have been in the UK for 3 months or more, you will have to be a qualified person. It appears to be simpler to travel together.