ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surrendring Indian passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Re: Surrendring Indian passport

Post by dontringthebell » Wed May 02, 2018 8:29 pm

Two surrender of passport applications self and wife

Application Date : 02/05/2018
Postal / In-person: In-person
VFS office: VFS London Goswell
Application sent to High Commission: 02/05/2018
HCI issued surrender certificate :
Online Status (processed) / received at VFS:
Received Surrender certificate:
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

WP-> HSMP-> Tier 2G D-> ILR-> BC-> OCI

paru.org
India

Post by paru.org » Sun May 06, 2018 10:45 pm

Hi

>>>>They will need only 1 Special Delivery Envelope,>>>
they said 2 on their website, shouldl i take 1 or 2? pls confirm??

not 2
takdeerwala wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:16 am
dontringthebell wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:09 am
Would really appreciate if someone could review the following:

My only Indian passport expired in February 2017. I have been naturalised as of 7th March 2018 and would be obtaining my naturalisation certificate and British passport shortly. I intend to apply for surrendering my Indian passport after receiving my British passport next month. Kindly confirm if the following documents would be sufficient.

Cover Letter affirming no Indian passport applied or required since February 2017
Duly filled application form
Printed & signed copy of the declaration form
Original Indian Passport (Expired passport)
Self-attested photocopy of Indian passport (All used pages)
Two recent 50 mm * 50 mm size photographs.
Self-attested photocopy of the current British / Foreign Passport
Self-attested photocopy of British / Foreign Naturalisation certificate
Special Delivery Envelope x 2

For my wife's surrender of Indian passport (Application made in representation by myself):

Cover Letter affirming I would represent her on the day of the appointment.
Duly filled application form
Printed & signed copy of the declaration form
Original Indian Passport (1 Expired & 1 Active Passport)
Self-attested photocopy of Indian passport (All used pages)
Two recent 50 mm * 50 mm size photographs.
Self-attested photocopy of the current British / Foreign Passport
Self-attested photocopy of British / Foreign Naturalisation certificate
Special Delivery Envelope x 2
It looks good. They will need only 1 Special Delivery Envelope, not 2. Also its better to take original British Passport and Original Naturalisation Certificate with you to VFS office for their verification although they will keep self attested photocopies only.

takdeerwala
India

Post by takdeerwala » Mon May 07, 2018 10:51 am

1 A4 Special Delivery envelope for Surrender of Indian passport application. For OCI application 2 but that is a different procedure.
1 for Surrender application. Nowhere on their VFS website they are saying that you need 2 envelopes.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Fri May 11, 2018 5:04 pm

update
dontringthebell wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:29 pm

HCI issued surrender certificate : 11/05/2018
Online Status (processed) / received at VFS:11/05/2018
Received Surrender certificate:
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Sat May 12, 2018 7:59 pm

update

HCI issued surrender certificate : 11/05/2018
Received Surrender certificate:12/05/2018

Unfortunately they mentioned my wife's maiden name on surrender certificate, I've sent an email to Indian High Commission right away, though being Saturday I only hope and expect to get a response next week.

When would this misery end.

takdeerwala
India

Post by takdeerwala » Wed May 16, 2018 10:54 am

Oh What was the name on submitted Indian Passport ? Maiden ? different then Citizenship certificate ?

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Fri May 18, 2018 11:13 am

takdeerwala wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:54 am
Oh What was the name on submitted Indian Passport ? Maiden ? different then Citizenship certificate ?
My wifes passport carries her maiden name as well as her married name as an observation.

can you also tell me do married women's surrender certificate carry their fathers name or husbands name.

I've been told as long as passport carries fathers name same appears on the surrender certificate. the logic provided was wife can divorce and re marry hence last name can change however, fathers name would remain same. '

takdeerwala
India

Post by takdeerwala » Fri May 18, 2018 3:33 pm

It should be Surname or Last name mentioned in the Passport as well as citizenship certificate. You can call it Maidens name or Father's name ( few states in India has this system of father name as surname/Last name). Keep it like this only, changing will unnecessarily complicate and delay things. You will have to deal with name changing in Indian passport, British passport, Surrender certificate, OCI card !!! Is it that important to put husband name (change surname) ??

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Fri May 18, 2018 4:40 pm

takdeerwala wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:33 pm
It should be Surname or Last name mentioned in the Passport as well as citizenship certificate. You can call it Maidens name or Father's name ( few states in India has this system of father name as surname/Last name). Keep it like this only, changing will unnecessarily complicate and delay things. You will have to deal with name changing in Indian passport, British passport, Surrender certificate, OCI card !!! Is it that important to put husband name (change surname) ??
I think you didn't get me

My wife's name printed on Indian Passport is Mrs FFFF MMMM(Maiden Name), further on page number n they made an observation and changed her name to Mrs FFFF MMMM HHHH (Married Name) way back in 2010. This is the name her British passport, naturalization certificate, driving license, our marriage certificate and every other document carry.

Indian high commission have mentioned Miss FFFF MMMM on surrender certificate. This part they agreed to correct to married name as Mrs FFFF MMMM HHHH as a mistake on their part.

Also there is a place to mention father/husband's name in full on surrender certificate where they mentioned her father's name.

I'm trying to confirm if it's normal for them to mention father's name for married woman or husband's name.

takdeerwala
India

Post by takdeerwala » Sat May 19, 2018 1:40 pm

Oh now I get it. Its great that Indian High Commission agreed to their mistake and are now putting Name after marriage on Surrender Certificate instead of Maiden Name. This is the name in British Passport, Citizenship certificate too. I dont see any problem in keeping fathers name also in the certificate, probably they took it from the Indian Passport which was done before marriage. That will not cause any problem. Now you need to apply for OCI where both the names in British Passport as well as Surrender certificate are same- name after marriage.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Sun May 20, 2018 9:14 pm

takdeerwala wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 1:40 pm
Oh now I get it. Its great that Indian High Commission agreed to their mistake and are now putting Name after marriage on Surrender Certificate instead of Maiden Name. This is the name in British Passport, Citizenship certificate too. I dont see any problem in keeping fathers name also in the certificate, probably they took it from the Indian Passport which was done before marriage. That will not cause any problem. Now you need to apply for OCI where both the names in British Passport as well as Surrender certificate are same- name after marriage.
It is irrelevant with regards to OCI, I want to know what is the convention, to mention father's name or husband's name on married woman's surrender certificate.

takdeerwala
India

Post by takdeerwala » Mon May 21, 2018 12:00 pm

dontringthebell wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:14 pm
takdeerwala wrote:
It is irrelevant with regards to OCI, I want to know what is the convention, to mention father's name or husband's name on married woman's surrender certificate.
Convention is to put Father's name "Son of" or "Daughter of". This is how I have seen Surrender Certificates.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Mon May 21, 2018 1:02 pm

takdeerwala wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 12:00 pm
dontringthebell wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:14 pm
takdeerwala wrote:
Convention is to put Father's name "Son of" or "Daughter of". This is how I have seen Surrender Certificates.
Thanks

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Thu May 24, 2018 2:52 pm

update

Application Date: 02/05/2018
HCI issued surrender certificate: 11/05/2018
Received Surrender certificate:12/05/2018
Received Surrender certificate after correction for wife: 23/05/2018

hippo
Newly Registered

Post by hippo » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:53 pm

Hi everyone

Sorry if it is obvious to everyone else, but in the form it asks for place of issue for the British passport and I can’t find it anywhere on the passport. Did anyone else have this problem ?

Also has anyone sent an A4 envelope with their special delivery envelope to make sure the certificate doesn’t get crumpled in the post ? The sliver packet looks really flimsy to me to send on its own !

Thanks

double2double5
Newly Registered
Tokelau

Post by double2double5 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:20 pm

People who have surrendered Indian passports - when you got the surrender certificate, did you get the passport back along with it?

I have a two valid visas that I need in my current Indian passport (of countries where British passport holders would also require a visa) & I need them back!

takdeerwala
India

Post by takdeerwala » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:56 am

double2double5 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:20 pm
People who have surrendered Indian passports - when you got the surrender certificate, did you get the passport back along with it?

I have a two valid visas that I need in my current Indian passport (of countries where British passport holders would also require a visa) & I need them back!
Passport will be returned but it will be cancelled. Your visa pages inside will be there intact. You intend to use Visa given to Indian citizen as a British Citizen ?
Which country visa is that? You should clarify it from the embassy concerned whether it can be done or not.

takdeerwala
India

Post by takdeerwala » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:06 am

hippo wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:53 pm
Hi everyone

Sorry if it is obvious to everyone else, but in the form it asks for place of issue for the British passport and I can’t find it anywhere on the passport. Did anyone else have this problem ?

Also has anyone sent an A4 envelope with their special delivery envelope to make sure the certificate doesn’t get crumpled in the post ? The sliver packet looks really flimsy to me to send on its own !

Thanks
It is a universal format and in some countries, they have multiple locations for issue of Passport. Country name UK should be fine for place of issue for Passport.

I dont think that separate A4 envelope is required. The silver Special delivery envelope is flimsy but the paper of Surrender Certificate is thick. 1 or 2 slight bends on certificate should not be any problem. 1 day in any file or under a book will make it straight. Royal Mail do take care while transporting Special Delivery.

hippo
Newly Registered

Post by hippo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:32 pm

@takdeerwala Thank you, I did end up giving them a white envelope in the end anyways.

krish_only4u

Post by krish_only4u » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:36 am

hippo wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:32 pm
@takdeerwala Thank you, I did end up giving them a white envelope in the end anyways.
Hi Hippo,

Have you received your surrender certificate? How long did it take? The reason for asking is I’m on bit tight timescales for surrender and OCI.

hippo
Newly Registered

Post by hippo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:06 am

krish_only4u wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:36 am
hippo wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:32 pm
Hi Hippo,

Have you received your surrender certificate? How long did it take? The reason for asking is I’m on bit tight timescales for surrender and OCI.
Hi yes I did, handed in on the 05/07, got it back on the 18/07.

krish_only4u

Post by krish_only4u » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:17 pm

Got my surrender certificate within 3 days of applying. I was thinking it might be technical error when I got an email that my application has been processed and dispatched. But royal mail tracking showed the package has been picked up. It was a sweet surprise

Application Date : 24/07/2018
VFS office: VFS London Goswell (In-person)
Application sent to High Commission: 24/07/2018
HCI issued surrender certificate : 26/07/2018
Online Status (processed) / received at VFS: 26/07/2018
Received Surrender certificate:27/07/2018

jagacharaja

Post by jagacharaja » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:04 am

Hi all,

Can someone confirm whether the Original Naturalisation Certificate is needed on the day of application?

If not - I can apply for UK passport straightaway.
If required, I will have to surrender passport first and then apply for UK passport.

Any knowledgeable input, especially based on personal experiences is appreciated.

krish_only4u

Post by krish_only4u » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:54 am

jagacharaja wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:04 am
Hi all,

Can someone confirm whether the Original Naturalisation Certificate is needed on the day of application?

If required, I will have to surrender passport first and then apply for UK passport.

Any knowledgeable input, especially based on personal experiences is appreciated.

They did have a look at my naturalisation certificate. I had it with me and they asked for it. But gave the original back. Especially considering that you don’t have passport original naturalisation certificate will be required. Also you should provide a declaration that you have already applied for British passport and is in the process.

takdeerwala
India

Post by takdeerwala » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:48 pm

jagacharaja wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:04 am
Hi all,

Ideally, you should get Naturalisation Certificate on the day of your Citizeship Ceremony, then get British Passport and then apply for Surrender of Indian Passport. When you will go to VFS office, they will ask for your Original Indian Passport, Copy of Naturalisation certificate , plus they would also like to see the original Naturalisation Certificate. I also showed him my original British passport plus a copy of British Passport.

Which part you wish to skip ? Without naturalisation certificate, surrender is not possible. Without British passport in hand, it is unnecessary risk to be without any functioning passport.