ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Infinite leave to remain after Tier 1

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

kaushal316

Infinite leave to remain after Tier 1

Post by kaushal316 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:45 am

Hello,

I have applied for entry clearance under tier 1 from India. EC, if granted shall be for a period for 3 years starting from the sate specified by me in the VAF form. After 3 years, i can apply for further leave to remain for 2 years, after which i can apply for infinite leave to remain.

My query is do i have to immediately travel after EC is granted.

e.g. EC is valid from 1 June, 2008 to 31 May, 2011 and subsequent extension valid till 31 May, 2013.
If i travel to UK in Dec, 2008, i shall be 6 months short of 5 years after 31 May, 2013 and thus ineligible to apply for ILR.

In this case, can i apply for further extension of tier 1 or do i have to return back to india.

Cheers,
Kaushal

kaushal316

Post by kaushal316 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:53 pm

Guys,

Anyone with any answer for my query?

In short, my query is; Can I apply for extension twice under Tier 1?

Rgds,
Kaushal

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:13 pm

kaushal316 wrote:Guys,

Anyone with any answer for my query?

In short, my query is; Can I apply for extension twice under Tier 1?

Rgds,
Kaushal
yes, you can.

ibo
Newly Registered

Post by ibo » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:25 pm

The other thing that you may need to consider that govt is proposing to change the citizenship rules in the near future. Based on the proposals, the ILR will not be granted after 5 years. Instead there will be two routes... one will be to take up the probationary citizenship for at least one year and then move to the full citizenship. The other route will be to stay here for another 3 years (after completing 5 years) and qualify for ILR. So in future, ILR may be upto 8 years away.

Though this has not become the law yet, but govt is trying to make it one. I thought you should keep this in mind.

kaushal316

Post by kaushal316 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:54 am

thanks ibo and gotcha for your replies.

pyke

Post by pyke » Sun May 11, 2008 1:54 pm

ibo wrote:The other thing that you may need to consider that govt is proposing to change the citizenship rules in the near future. Based on the proposals, the ILR will not be granted after 5 years. Instead there will be two routes... one will be to take up the probationary citizenship for at least one year and then move to the full citizenship. The other route will be to stay here for another 3 years (after completing 5 years) and qualify for ILR. So in future, ILR may be upto 8 years away.

Though this has not become the law yet, but govt is trying to make it one. I thought you should keep this in mind.
ibo,

Any idea when that is scheduled to be implemented? The rules keep changing, don't they? With reference to the former route you mentioned, is that 5 years on hsmp/tier 1 + 1 year probationary citizenship = full citizenship?

hsmpinuk70
Member of Standing

Post by hsmpinuk70 » Sun May 11, 2008 5:15 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008 ... mmigration

Taken from the article linked above - Changes will apply to new arrivals after the new laws are passed, and not to foreigners already living in the UK, so reforms are only likely to affect migrants arriving from 2010.

regards

pyke

Post by pyke » Mon May 12, 2008 2:21 pm

Thanks hsmpinuk70, that's a relief!

smartwave

Post by smartwave » Mon May 12, 2008 2:23 pm

hsmpinuk70 wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008 ... mmigration

Taken from the article linked above - Changes will apply to new arrivals after the new laws are passed, and not to foreigners already living in the UK, so reforms are only likely to affect migrants arriving from 2010.

regards
you are so naive saying that. I bet it will be retrospective again.

smartwave

Post by smartwave » Mon May 12, 2008 2:26 pm

smartwave wrote:

regards
And the new rules will take effect at the end of this year the earliest or Spring next year the latest.

hsmpinuk70
Member of Standing

Post by hsmpinuk70 » Mon May 12, 2008 4:17 pm

Smartwave,

I am not saying or suggesting anything. It's there in the article and I have just quoted the article.

regards
smartwave wrote:
smartwave wrote:

regards
And the new rules will take effect at the end of this year the earliest or Spring next year the latest.