ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship with Asylum history

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Ambitious1
Newly Registered
Australia

British Citizenship with Asylum history

Post by Ambitious1 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:31 am

Hi Everyone.
I m at the last stage of my immigration journey. Got my ILR last month and now about to apply for British citizenship to end 13 years this journey and live the rest in peace.

Case history.
Came to UK in 2005 as illegal immigrants. Applied for asylum.
Met my wife at 2007.
Got married at 2011.
Got my first DLR visa on 2012
Got second DLR visa on 2015
Got my ILR on 2018.
My wife is British.

Can I apply for BC now having my immigration history at 2005.
Am i safe regarding "10 years good character" base?

Just don't want to loose the application fee.

Many thanks in advance to all the advisors. You guys are amazing.

cyclina1
Hong Kong

Re: British Citizenship with Asylum history

Post by cyclina1 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:41 am

you should declare that you are illegal immigrant in 2005 in the cover letter and when you have valid leave to remain in the UK. However if this is already over 10 years and should be disregarded, but still should be declared. However, when did you start to have valid leave to remain in the UK??? You are better count 10 years from the date you have valid leave to remain, BUT NOT THE DATE YOU ENTERED THE UK.

Assume that you don't have any other issue affect your good character.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice.

Ambitious1
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Ambitious1 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:43 pm

cyclina1 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:41 am
you should declare that you are illegal immigrant in 2005 in the cover letter and when you have valid leave to remain in the UK. However if this is already over 10 years and should be disregarded, but still should be declared. However, when did you start to have valid leave to remain in the UK??? You are better count 10 years from the date you have valid leave to remain, BUT NOT THE DATE YOU ENTERED THE UK.

Assume that you don't have any other issue affect your good character.
Cyclina1 that's for the reply.

I have no other issues to effect my character.
So am I good to go and apply for BC? Or I have to follow 10 years route, or it is 3 years for British spouse?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:46 pm

Your post DOES NOT state whether you were granted asylum or not.

You can apply for BC based on 3 years spouse BUT you MUST meet the Good character requirements and that includes not have an breach of the immigration rules (i.e. overstaying, illegal status etc) in the 10 years immediately preceding date of citizenship application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ambitious1
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Ambitious1 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:52 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:46 pm
Your post DOES NOT state whether you were granted asylum or not.

You can apply for BC based on 3 years spouse BUT you MUST meet the Good character requirements and that includes not have an breach of the immigration rules (i.e. overstaying, illegal status etc) in the 10 years immediately preceding date of citizenship application.
Thanks for the reply CR001.

My asylum case was on pending. Long story.
So am I ok to apply for BC as it was 13 years ago when I applied for asylum?

Alz3eem2018
United Arab Emirates

Post by Alz3eem2018 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:58 am

Hi ambitious,

I am on the same case as you. Looking at your case I think if you got your first DLR in 2012 then you can apply for BC in 2021 - 2022... 10 years counts from your first DLR as you were legally here and count 10 years forward from then...

Now looking at the knowledge received by the moderaters here and advice I think this is my conclusion.

I came here in 2002 and applied for asylum and received my first DLR IN 2011...in 2018 I received my ILR and was told to wait till the year 2021 to apply...

Just told to inform you....

Ambitious1
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Ambitious1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:04 am

Alz3eem2018 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:58 am
Hi ambitious,

I am on the same case as you. Looking at your case I think if you got your first DLR in 2012 then you can apply for BC in 2021 - 2022... 10 years counts from your first DLR as you were legally here and count 10 years forward from then...

Now looking at the knowledge received by the moderaters here and advice I think this is my conclusion.

I came here in 2002 and applied for asylum and received my first DLR IN 2011...in 2018 I received my ILR and was told to wait till the year 2021 to apply...

Just told to inform you....
hi Alz3eem2018. Thanks for reading my post.

Who advice you to apply for BC at 2021?

Alz3eem2018
United Arab Emirates

Post by Alz3eem2018 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:15 pm

First got my attention when I came to write a post here and CR001 who is very helpful advised me that I would need to apply on 2021 as my first DLR WAS OBTAINED IN 2011.
I then asked my solicitor and they confirmed it. I was like why did you not tell me THIS when we were filing my ILR APPLICATION.
I then asked the NCS (TWO WEEKS AGO) and they said its a 50% chance AS I CAME AS A MINOR AND WAS LOOKED AFTER BY SOCIAL SERVICES IN 2002 AND HAD NO DEPENDANT OTHER THEN THEM. She even highlighted all the application which they encountered had passed if the applicant was an asylum seeker and came to the country as a minor (U18) and was looked after by social services.

I am in a limbo and I think or to be honest I don't know whether to risk the money or not!!!!

Ambitious1
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Ambitious1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:25 pm

Alz3eem2018 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:15 pm
First got my attention when I came to write a post here and CR001 who is very helpful advised me that I would need to apply on 2021 as my first DLR WAS OBTAINED IN 2011.
I then asked my solicitor and they confirmed it. I was like why did you not tell me THIS when we were filing my ILR APPLICATION.
I then asked the NCS (TWO WEEKS AGO) and they said its a 50% chance AS I CAME AS A MINOR AND WAS LOOKED AFTER BY SOCIAL SERVICES IN 2002 AND HAD NO DEPENDANT OTHER THEN THEM. She even highlighted all the application which they encountered had passed if the applicant was an asylum seeker and came to the country as a minor (U18) and was looked after by social services.

I am in a limbo and I think or to be honest I don't know whether to risk the money or not!!!!
I m in same limbo and really wants to end this misery. I m meeting a lawyer tomorrow and see what does she says.

Alz3eem2018
United Arab Emirates

Post by Alz3eem2018 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:15 pm

PLEASE UPDATE US ON WHAT WAS THE RESULT OF YOUR MEETING