ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UKM application experience and timeline

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sunburn
United States of America

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by sunburn » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:43 pm

Very interesting. UK based filers taking longer, reminds me of RoA (which many or all UKM applicants also qualify for) applicants in the same situation - anecdotal evidence suggests UK based RoA filers taking longer than those applying from outside - I have at least one recent data point for a first time RoA applicant receiving it within 1.5 months.

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:12 pm

sunburn wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:43 pm
Very interesting. UK based filers taking longer, reminds me of RoA (which many or all UKM applicants also qualify for) applicants in the same situation - anecdotal evidence suggests UK based RoA filers taking longer than those applying from outside - I have at least one recent data point for a first time RoA applicant receiving it within 1.5 months.
From what I've read on this site, UKM applicants applying from Outside the UK take some time. I have heard of a few that have taken 3-4 months, while most take much longer. It's understandable that it takes time, it just gets very frustrating when you pay to contact them, and they have such a difficult time routing you to the appropriate channels. I am not in the UK. I never indicated to them I was in the UK. It's a little frustrating to then be told they can't help me because I'm in the UK.

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:22 pm

Oh I see. I seem to have misread your prior post indicating an assertion on their part as a factual aspect of where you reside (probably because of the flag on your avatar). Oops, sorry about that!

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:14 pm

sunburn wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:22 pm
Oh I see. I seem to have misread your prior post indicating an assertion on their part as a factual aspect of where you reside (probably because of the flag on your avatar). Oops, sorry about that!
No problem. When I joined this site, I misunderstood the meaning of the flag. I did cursory once over of the instructions and just started clicking. I haven't figured out a way to change it. Hopefully in the next 6 months or so it will be accurate.

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:51 pm

luthersnowak wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:53 pm
I would most certainly do that; especially since you have a case number.
[/quote]

I’ve sent off a letter and a correct copy of the payment slip. I recall someone saying they were contacted by the Home Office by email requesting the expiration date for a credit card.

I know there is a remedial order making its way through parliament that will do away with the good character requirement for UKM applications. Reading up on it, Amber Rudd (previous Home Secretary) responded to some questions from parliament, indicating any UKM applications that would have been approved other than for “Good Character” issues, would be placed on hold until the legislation had passed. I don’t believe I have any issues related to that, but I find it odd that I received an acknowledgment email but they haven’t deducted the fee or contacted me for corrected information. Maybe I’m being impatient.
[/quote]
This is explicitly stated in at the following link:
Good character requirement: a Remedial Order
On 15 March a Remedial Order under the Human Rights Act 1998 was laid in Parliament to make changes to the British Nationality Act 1981. The Remedial Order will remove the good character requirement for British citizenship in the following applications for registration:

section 4F on the basis the person would be entitled to register under section 1(3), 3(2) or 3(5) of the Act
sections 3C, 4G, 4H and 4I
These changes are being made to remedy the incompatibility with the ECHR identified by the UK courts in relation to various categories of people who would automatically have become British citizens had their parents been married to one another at the time of their birth.

The good character requirement for the registration routes listed above remains in place until the Remedial Order comes into force.

We expect these changes to come into effect in early 2019, subject to parliamentary scrutiny. We cannot say in advance how long it will take for the process of parliamentary scrutiny to be completed. The precise timing will be published on GOV.UK in due course.

Applications for registration as a British citizen under sections 4C, 4F, 4G, 4H and 4I where the only ground for refusal is where the applicant does not meet the good character requirement, will remain on hold until further notice.

Published 15 March 2018

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:56 pm

sunburn wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:51 pm
luthersnowak wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:53 pm
I would most certainly do that; especially since you have a case number.
I’ve sent off a letter and a correct copy of the payment slip. I recall someone saying they were contacted by the Home Office by email requesting the expiration date for a credit card.

I know there is a remedial order making its way through parliament that will do away with the good character requirement for UKM applications. Reading up on it, Amber Rudd (previous Home Secretary) responded to some questions from parliament, indicating any UKM applications that would have been approved other than for “Good Character” issues, would be placed on hold until the legislation had passed. I don’t believe I have any issues related to that, but I find it odd that I received an acknowledgment email but they haven’t deducted the fee or contacted me for corrected information. Maybe I’m being impatient.
[/quote]
This is explicitly stated in at the following link:
Good character requirement: a Remedial Order
On 15 March a Remedial Order under the Human Rights Act 1998 was laid in Parliament to make changes to the British Nationality Act 1981. The Remedial Order will remove the good character requirement for British citizenship in the following applications for registration:

section 4F on the basis the person would be entitled to register under section 1(3), 3(2) or 3(5) of the Act
sections 3C, 4G, 4H and 4I
These changes are being made to remedy the incompatibility with the ECHR identified by the UK courts in relation to various categories of people who would automatically have become British citizens had their parents been married to one another at the time of their birth.

The good character requirement for the registration routes listed above remains in place until the Remedial Order comes into force.

We expect these changes to come into effect in early 2019, subject to parliamentary scrutiny. We cannot say in advance how long it will take for the process of parliamentary scrutiny to be completed. The precise timing will be published on GOV.UK in due course.

Applications for registration as a British citizen under sections 4C, 4F, 4G, 4H and 4I where the only ground for refusal is where the applicant does not meet the good character requirement, will remain on hold until further notice.

Published 15 March 2018
[/quote]

I'm not following what you are saying here? I am aware of the remedial order. That's where I got the information that anyone who meets the criteria for registration, under those sections, but does not meet the Good Character requirement will be placed on hold. I guess I don't know if you are agreeing with me or disagreeing with me.

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:20 pm

I'm not disagreeing with you, by any means.

I just came across, and posted an actual reference to the original statement off the official website itself. I also posted the message on the website in full, just in case it changed later.

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:19 pm

Cool. I wasn’t sure if I had said something inaccurate. I have a pretty decent grasp of Nationality Law as it applies to me. That being said, it wouldn’t have been the first time I misunderstood something and ran with it. Thank you for posting it.

KZ303
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by KZ303 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:29 pm

Eligibility criteria: UKM
Nationality: United States
Applying from: Unites States
Method of application: USPS to UK with return UPS envelope/label. (To assist in tracking the docs' return.)
Date of application: July 25, 2018
Payment method: Credit card
Date of receipt by UKVI: July 31, 2018
Date money gone off account: PENDING
Date of UKVI acknowledgement: Aug 4, 2018
Date of UKBA acknowledgement: Aug 7, 2018 (Got two emails, one from UKVI, the other from UKBA. Not sure of the significance, but the one from UKVI had a tracking number, whereas UKBA's did not.)
Date of letter requesting biometrics: PENDING
Biometrics done: PENDING
Date of approval: PENDING
Date of ceremony: PENDING
Date applied for passports: PENDING
Date passports received: PENDING

jahinbaha
Newly Registered
Egypt

Post by jahinbaha » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:56 am

Hello

Did any one apply for UK citizen ship through his british by birth grandmother only?

Grandmother born in Uk with citizenship by birth.
Mother born abroad before 1949 with No UK citizienship and was not able to regiester.
I am born before 1983.

Thank you.
Jahin

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:20 pm

KZ303 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:29 pm
Method of application: USPS to UK with return UPS envelope/label. (To assist in tracking the docs' return.)
Date of UKBA acknowledgement: Aug 7, 2018 (Got two emails, one from UKVI, the other from UKBA. Not sure of the significance, but the one from UKVI had a tracking number, whereas UKBA's did not.)
Same here. I got two emails from UKVI and UKBA on June 28th. I waited a few weeks and the fee had not been deducted. I emailed the Further Nationality Enquiries email address. They replied with a standard email, but attached was a form to complete to "further" explain my enquiry. I filled that out and returned it. The next day the fee was deducted and I received an email from the "nationality cashiers" email saying they had deducted it. It seems the process is very slow. I was pretty worried at first, but everything seems to be consistent with what others have experienced. As of right now, I'm still waiting for a Biometrics request.

KZ303
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by KZ303 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:12 pm

luthersnowak wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:20 pm
KZ303 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:29 pm
Same here. I got two emails from UKVI and UKBA on June 28th. I waited a few weeks and the fee had not been deducted. I emailed the Further Nationality Enquiries email address. They replied with a standard email, but attached was a form to complete to "further" explain my enquiry. I filled that out and returned it. The next day the fee was deducted and I received an email from the "nationality cashiers" email saying they had deducted it. It seems the process is very slow. I was pretty worried at first, but everything seems to be consistent with what others have experienced. As of right now, I'm still waiting for a Biometrics request.
Thanks for responding! I've actually been following your progress, so I wasn't too freaked out that my deduction hadn't gone already since it seems most other's go like that. I was also wondering if the two emails was odd or not. I have a contact email that I will plan on using in a week or so's time, then. So, looks to me like I have to wait for deduction (checking CC every day), then keep an eye out for an email for the biometrics (have email filter/forwarding set up and checking every day!).

a_powers
United States of America

Post by a_powers » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:19 pm

UKVI goes at their own pace. Sometimes you just need to wait on them.

At least you can do biometrics in the US now. People had to go to Canada and Mexico 2 years ago. Then they got a US system in place.

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:14 am

A few questions as a prospective UKM applicant:

* What kind of non-UK referees did those outside UK utilize ? My current intended referees are a US army reserve captain and nurse, and a current real estate agent who was a former CA notary public + manager of a company. I'm hoping that's good enough. Both have known me for a decade.
* Those who later applied for a passport, did the countersignatory have to write on the back of the little 3.5cm x 4.5cm ? "Certified that this is a true likeness of sunburn" seems a lot to write in that little space.
* Did you have to send away your registration certificate for the passport ? Were you offered copies at the ceremony, or were there means to obtain a certified copy ?

a_powers
United States of America

Post by a_powers » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:04 pm

I did 2 US doctors for UKM and a US attorney for the passport.

Yes they have to write that statement on the back of the picture.

Sent original registration certificate for the passport. Didn't ask about a copy.

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:49 pm

Thank you! Did you have a passport interview ? If so, did you get to choose a venue of your choice, e.g. your nearest consulate ?

a_powers
United States of America

Post by a_powers » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:22 pm

sunburn wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:49 pm
Thank you! Did you have a passport interview ? If so, did you get to choose a venue of your choice, e.g. your nearest consulate ?
No passport interview. I guess they figure you have already been through enough to get the registration certificate. The passport comes 2-3 weeks via DHL.

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:31 pm

a_powers wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:22 pm
No passport interview. I guess they figure you have already been through enough to get the registration certificate. The passport comes 2-3 weeks via DHL.
That's brilliant! Thank you and congratulations on your own success with this !

expertcitizen
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by expertcitizen » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:06 pm

jahinbaha wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:56 am
Hello

Did any one apply for UK citizen ship through his british by birth grandmother only?

Grandmother born in Uk with citizenship by birth.
Mother born abroad before 1949 with No UK citizienship and was not able to regiester.
I am born before 1983.

Thank you.
Jahin
No you have no claim. It needs to be your maternal grandfather only not grandmother.

jahinbaha
Newly Registered
Egypt

Post by jahinbaha » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:36 am

Thanks.
Yes my mothers mother.

I have already applied through the new online system on 28 July 2018 and paid the fees online.
Then sent the required docs by courrier they were delivered a week ago.
Waiting for any update on my email.

expertcitizen
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by expertcitizen » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:39 am

jahinbaha wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:36 am
Thanks.
Yes my mothers mother.

I have already applied through the new online system on 28 July 2018 and paid the fees online.
There is no new online application process. You do the application by filling in form UKM together with your supporting documents. But I do not think your Grandmother is a qualifying person for you. It needs to be your mothers father.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:41 am

expertcitizen wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:39 am
jahinbaha wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:36 am
Thanks.
Yes my mothers mother.

There is no new online application process. You do the application by filling in form UKM together with your supporting documents. But I do not think your Grandmother is a qualifying person for you. It needs to be your mothers father.
There is an online form now. Scroll to bottom in link.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-form-ukm
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

tips
Newly Registered

Post by tips » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:07 pm

I am curious, I saw an application via the UKM form on here for a mother that was NOT a British Citizen and wondered if it was acceptable? The situation was Mother born to a British Citizen mother (Applicants grandmother) born in the UK but FATHER not born in the UK. So its a double descent but I can only assume as citizenship could not pass from the Mother to the child that it is assumed they are a British Citizen by descent and then the Roemin case applies? so to clarify my mess above :roll:

Applicant Born in South Africa
Applicants Mother born in South Africa before 1949 to British Mother and South African Father
Mother deceased and NEVER applied or registered as British Citizen as citizenship could never be attained from Mother.
Applicant applies on Romein case (Double descent) but it is just Assumed Mother to be British by descent as she could not have registered/applied?

Any help appreciated?

amazingsue
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by amazingsue » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:11 pm

Does anyone know the company used by matkirk in her original post? Our son is in the process of applying for his UK citizenship (British mother & American father) but our daughter-in-law would like to explore the possibility of citizenship for their two sons, both under 10 years old.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:14 pm

amazingsue wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:11 pm
Does anyone know the company used by matkirk in her original post? Our son is in the process of applying for his UK citizenship (British mother & American father) but our daughter-in-law would like to explore the possibility of citizenship for their two sons, both under 10 years old.
Members are not permitted to post names and details of such firms in the forum. Any such postings will be removed.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.