ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship applications from Northern Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Angelontheground
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: Citizenship applications from Northern Ireland

Post by Angelontheground » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:22 pm

Depending on a type of application.
Have you applied to UKVI or INIS.
UKVI usually take long time to make decisions.
12-18 months normally but right now they must be extremely busy due to high numbers of applications because of Brexit.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:45 pm

Angelontheground wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:53 am
Thank you so much for your reply actually this is the bit which confuses me. Why they are referring 5 years. I m just concerned that may be they have any requirements to must live 5 years before apply for Naturalisation under atleast 3 years of being married/ civil partnership.
2 out of 4 and then 1 continuous before application.

Residence:

You must:
"Have resided on the island of Ireland for at least 3 years out of the last 5 years, including 1 year of continuous residence immediately before the date you apply."

"You must have had a period of 1 year's continuous reckonable residence - see below - in the island of Ireland immediately before the date of your application, and during the 4 years preceding that, have had a total reckonable residence in the island of Ireland amounting to 2 years. Altogether you must have a total of 3 years reckonable residence out of the last 5 years."

OR this is just for guidance to count 3 years just under last 5 years not more then 5.

Please correct me and help me to understand.
Thanks alot
And I wish you and your partner will receive good news very soon.
If you have lived on the island of Ireland for the last 3 full years (of course you can have holidays) then you are eligible to apply now. E.g. We had our civil partnership overseas in 2011 and we returned to NI in August 2014 and my partner applied in August 2017. His application has gone to the second stage and wasn't rejected. This is proof that 3 years is enough.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:48 pm

Angelontheground wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:22 pm
Depending on a type of application.
Have you applied to UKVI or INIS.
UKVI usually take long time to make decisions.
12-18 months normally but right now they must be extremely busy due to high numbers of applications because of Brexit.

I'm sure Arr51 means the Irish citizenship application (to INIS). It seems to vary a lot. We have been waiting for nearly 6 months but I've seen people say that it can take much longer than 6 months. I think there was a girl who applied and got it within 9 months but every case is different.

Arr51: you might want to send an email to the citizenship team and ask them if they need anything else. Explain that you're worried about Brexit and its effect on your partner being able to stay with you in NI. I plan to do this very soon (after our 6 full months are up). If we all make it clear that Brexit is a concern it may help!

Irishfella
Newly Registered

Post by Irishfella » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:58 pm

crisbella218 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:45 pm
Kadorkidor wrote:
jlolololo wrote:Hello all, joining the thread as we have just applied for my husband's citizenship by naturalisation from Northern Ireland.

One question - can he gets his passport back before they decide or do they keep it for the duration of the process?
Any advice would be appreciated
So just for Northern Ireland advice I posted these documents off with my application last week and on my first application. Like I said the only problem with my first one was I was outside Island of ireland for 6 months so I didn't have 3 years.

• My birth certificate (certified copy)
• My Passport bio page (certified copy) and my ORIGINAL passport.
• Spouse passport bio page (certified copy)
• Spouse Birth certificate (certified copy)
• Son's Irish passport (certified copy)
• Son's birth certificate (certified copy)
• Marriage certificate (certified copy)
• UK Biometric card copy (certified copy)
• Copy of last 6 pay slips
• P60 copies for years 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016.
• 3 different bills for me and my spouse for last 3 months at our current address
• Bills for the last 3 years for myself showing date and address
• PSNI Criminal Record Check
• Letter from employer
• Last 3 months bank statements
• 2 passport photos signed on the back by solicitor
• Application form
• Bankers draft issued by Ulster Bank
• List of absences outside Ireland since I arrived in Ireland on 19th April 2011.

In my circumstances I was applying as a spouse of an Irish citizen. As I have a son who is also Irish I included his document just to show I have a link with Ireland through my son.

The time I have been told the passport should come back is 3/4 weeks so don't make any plans for at least 5. They do not require to keep the passport only to check it for entry stamps, visas and other information.
Hello crisbella218, Was your second application successful? Can I ask who you got to certify your documents?

Thanks, Mike

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:40 pm

Hi Crisabella

Was the 950 Euro draft that you sent after receiving your final approval also made out to: 'the Secretary General, Department of Justice and Equality', just in the same way as the 175 Euro initialapplication fee was?

I'd like to get our draft prepared in advance as I see that there have been quite a few approvals in the last little while!

Thanks!
CC

jlolololo
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jlolololo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:47 pm

Arr51 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:34 am
How long have others applications taken to recieve a decision under marriage to an irish national living in Ni? We applied 13 months ago and still no decision!:(
We've been waiting since October 2016!

IceCube2k8
Newly Registered
China

Post by IceCube2k8 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:40 pm

crisbella218 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:37 pm
Hi guys.

Sorry to bring this post alive again but I noticed my name was mentioned. I haven't been on the forum for a while as I was frustrated with my refusal.

Indeed the wording on my "first" refusal letter was confusing. After writing to them again they had to resend me a new one as they didn't even understand it! So basically they had only taken the date from my marriage until my application for my residency (no explanation why) even though I had included documentation showing I had lived in Belfast half a year before my marriage (even though I had been in NI since 2011). The problem was not explained in my first refusal letter but it was refused as I spent over 6 weeks (6 months exactly) outside the Island of Ireland to give birth to my son in China and be looked after by my parents. So when that 6 months was taken out of my time from my wedding to my application in May it was 142 days lacking.

I am now doing my application again (sending in the post tomorrow) as this time as now lapsed. However the application form has changed and included reference to Northern Ireland for the first time.

However as I said I could not get an explanation why they could not consider my time before my wedding. They simply wrote "we can't consider this time before your marriage".

Hope this helps for those applying from Northern Ireland. Just don't be outside the Island of Ireland for more than 6 weeks as this period will not be counted.
crisbella218 - Did you ever get sorted?

eraylankester

Post by eraylankester » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:33 pm

Quite angry at INIS. My wife applied in October - based on marriage & 3 years continuous residence in NI. Received a request in Mid November for 6 months bank statements for 14 & 16, and a police check (which my solicitor claimed wasn’t necessary). Documents were received by INIS on 19 December.

We have emailed every fortnight since January to request an update, receiving the boilerplate “continues to be processed” in response. But today INIS have replied seeking an additional proof of address for 2014, which wasn’t part of their request in November. As my wife only moved to NI in late September 14, addresses post in her name is scarce and I had already supplied 3 pieces with the application.

Very despondent, as her application seems to have lain untouched since December.

jollymolly1
Newly Registered

Post by jollymolly1 » Thu May 10, 2018 8:40 am

Hi all just new to this forum. My name is Waqar. I applied for Irish Naturalisation on the base of married to Irish Citizen. I applied in May 2016. Thn i received a letter from INIS on 7th June 2016 asking original passport and some further proof of address which i supplied. After that they wrote me on 2 January 2018 asking me to semd valid in date passport and proof of address from year 2014 and i did that too. Next letter from INIS ON 9th feburary 2018 asking me to show them legal residence in Northern Ireland covering a period of 2 years between date March 2011 to feburary 2015. to which i sent them printed copy from Home Office stating about treaty rights of European national exercising their rights that i didnt need any, as i got married in 2011 and never applied for EEA2(residence permit) but evetually applied end of 2014 and was given one in Feb 2015. so i just showed them that and they never said anything about it. Now on 3rd May 2018 from Team 4 they asking me to provide them PSNI check, which i already did when i applied for naturalisation in May 2016. The letter says on receipt of this report the file will be further examined for submission to minister.
Any body else in the same boat as of me. And what how more long it will take now.

Volkanerinamira
Turkey

Post by Volkanerinamira » Thu May 10, 2018 9:16 am

I would just send them it again.

I applied in aug 2016 ans just got my approval there on 14th april 2018. I also sent them a psni report at the time of applying but i think i was jan 2018 they sent me a letter asking me to provide them a acro criminal record check and it must be for immigration purposes. Not really sure why i needed to send that bexos ive never hears of anyone being asked to send tbat but i just didnt question it and sent it, it cost me 45 pound and had to get it from arco police, anyway i send it and now have my approval. Good luck

billybob19700

Post by billybob19700 » Thu May 10, 2018 10:51 am

jollymolly1 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:40 am
Hi all just new to this forum. My name is Waqar. I applied for Irish Naturalisation on the base of married to Irish Citizen. I applied in May 2016. Thn i received a letter from INIS on 7th June 2016 asking original passport and some further proof of address which i supplied. After that they wrote me on 2 January 2018 asking me to semd valid in date passport and proof of address from year 2014 and i did that too. Next letter from INIS ON 9th feburary 2018 asking me to show them legal residence in Northern Ireland covering a period of 2 years between date March 2011 to feburary 2015. to which i sent them printed copy from Home Office stating about treaty rights of European national exercising their rights that i didnt need any, as i got married in 2011 and never applied for EEA2(residence permit) but evetually applied end of 2014 and was given one in Feb 2015. so i just showed them that and they never said anything about it. Now on 3rd May 2018 from Team 4 they asking me to provide them PSNI check, which i already did when i applied for naturalisation in May 2016. The letter says on receipt of this report the file will be further examined for submission to minister.
Any body else in the same boat as of me. And what how more long it will take now.
Hi went through this, what you can do, is just send them what they request asap in order not to delay your application, unfortunatley we all be driven up to wall but nothing you can do except send what they request.

thanks

jollymolly1
Newly Registered

Post by jollymolly1 » Thu May 10, 2018 11:28 am

thanks billybob19700 and Volkanerinamira i was talking to ACRO and told them what my letter says and they said they r not asking for ACRO check they want criminal refrence check from psni. thn rang psni and said the same thing that what is on my letter and tbey said u need to apply for DAT 1 form. so look like i have to get DAT 1 form again even tho i already sent them. Asked psni for how long it will take and they said 45 days. And INIS askinf for it ASAP

Rosay36
Mood:
Ireland

Post by Rosay36 » Thu May 10, 2018 11:59 am

jollymolly1 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 11:28 am
thanks billybob19700 and Volkanerinamira i was talking to ACRO and told them what my letter says and they said they r not asking for ACRO check they want criminal refrence check from psni. thn rang psni and said the same thing that what is on my letter and tbey said u need to apply for DAT 1 form. so look like i have to get DAT 1 form again even tho i already sent them. Asked psni for how long it will take and they said 45 days. And INIS askinf for it ASAP
INIS allows 28 days to provide further documents. But if you can’t meet the time-frame you could always apply for an extension in writing within the 28 days.

jollymolly1
Newly Registered

Post by jollymolly1 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:05 pm

Rosay36 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 11:59 am
jollymolly1 wrote:
INIS allows 28 days to provide further documents. But if you can’t meet the time-frame you could always apply for an extension in writing within the 28 days.
how long will it take em to submit my file to minister once they will get my PSNI check.
Thanks

Rosay36
Mood:
Ireland

Post by Rosay36 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:17 pm

jollymolly1 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 12:05 pm
Rosay36 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 11:59 am
jollymolly1 wrote:
how long will it take em to submit my file to minister once they will get my PSNI check.
Thanks
To be honest I can’t say for sure. If they are only asking for a PSNi report, I say it won’t be long for a decision.

adegrowth
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by adegrowth » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:10 pm

I need someone to help me clarify this, I'm presently living in Dublin,ROI married to Irish citizen,we are planning to move to Belfast,Northern ireland by ending of this month because of work. I currently have Stamp4 as the spouse of an Irish citizen. We married 1year ago, and can i apply for Irish citizenship at Belfast when i have addtional 2years residency in Northern ireland plus 1year in ROI to make 3years of marriage.. Are they going to accept that...?
I hope someone can put me through this before taking the decision.
Thanks

billybob19700

Post by billybob19700 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:21 pm

adegrowth wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:10 pm
I need someone to help me clarify this, I'm presently living in Dublin,ROI married to Irish citizen,we are planning to move to Belfast,Northern ireland by ending of this month because of work. I currently have Stamp4 as the spouse of an Irish citizen. We married 1year ago, and can i apply for Irish citizenship at Belfast when i have addtional 2years residency in Northern ireland plus 1year in ROI to make 3years of marriage.. Are they going to accept that...?
Thanks
Yes you can apply, it is still on island of Ireland.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:06 pm

billybob19700 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:21 pm
adegrowth wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:10 pm
Thanks
Yes you can apply, it is still on island of Ireland.
The only question I'd ask is whether you have proper entry visa and work permit for UK. Apparently you cannot use Stamp 4 to enter UK (if you are a visa-required nation) or to work in UK. As long as you have them, you should be fine.

adegrowth
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by adegrowth » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:09 am

Yes ... I came to Northern Ireland with EEA family permit with my wife and I just applied for residence card(5years) which is still under processing. I just want to know that am taking a right step,because my stamp4 will expired next year March and i wont renew again since i will be living in Northern Ireland with my wife.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:49 am

adegrowth wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:09 am
Yes ... I came to Northern Ireland with EEA family permit with my wife and I just applied for residence card(5years) which is still under processing. I just want to know that am taking a right step,because my stamp4 will expired next year March and i wont renew again since i will be living in Northern Ireland with my wife.
Yeah you should be fine.

mufc69

Post by mufc69 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:29 pm

Hello my wife has made an application for Irish naturalisation and has waited for over 1 year with no result but today we received a letter saying they want a certified copy of page 3 of her passport and also if she has entered her residency stamps into the online checker to confirm that she satifys residency conditions..

My wife is applying from Northern Ireland and has lived on the island of Ireland for more than 5 years now, does the online residency checker apply as my wife is based from Northern Ireland?

Would appreciate someone’s help.

adegrowth
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by adegrowth » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:19 am

mufc69 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:29 pm
Hello my wife has made an application for Irish naturalisation and has waited for over 1 year with no result but today we received a letter saying they want a certified copy of page 3 of her passport and also if she has entered her residency stamps into the online checker to confirm that she satifys residency conditions..

My wife is applying from Northern Ireland and has lived on the island of Ireland for more than 5 years now, does the online residency checker apply as my wife is based from Northern Ireland?

Would appreciate someone’s help.
Online checker doesn't apply to people living in North Ireland. She need to call them and correct that. To my best of knowledge it doesn't apply to anyone living in North. Cos we are under UK immigration rule.

iibdii

Post by iibdii » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:25 am

Dear NI friends,
I was wondering if i have any chance of applying the citizenship living in NI with my common law partner and child both irish passport holders.
Couple of people told me that common law is also acceptable where the EEA family visa was given by ukba near five years ago.
So i have everything except the actual marriage certificate including 55 months residency in Belfast.
Since McCarthy went wrong i can see troubles getting EEA-PR
Many thanks

blondejock
Newly Registered

Post by blondejock » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:36 pm

Hi. I have my application ready to go but am struggling with the bankers draft. Do they consider banks in NI as Irish banks? If so, which NI banks have any of you used in successful applications? My bank (Bank of Ireland) does not issue euro drafts in NI -ironic.... Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks 🙏

lolo82
Canada

Post by lolo82 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:14 pm

blondejock wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:36 pm
Hi. I have my application ready to go but am struggling with the bankers draft. Do they consider banks in NI as Irish banks? If so, which NI banks have any of you used in successful applications? My bank (Bank of Ireland) does not issue euro drafts in NI -ironic.... Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks 🙏
Hi

I had the same issue. I wrote to INIS to explain and was advised I could go to Dundalk and get an Irish postal order. I printed out the email with my application and received a receipt from my application to keep myself right.

Hope this helps!