ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Ceremony and BRP questions

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

abuzer
Newly Registered
Turkey

Ceremony and BRP questions

Post by abuzer » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:45 pm

Hi All,

I applied for JCAP/NDRS couple of months ago and today I received a ceremony invitation letter from the council. Ceremony date is 19th September. I have couple of questions;

1) I know that I have to return BRP within 5 days of either
- going to your citizenship ceremony,
- getting your certificate of British citizenship
I think I will get certificate of British citizenship on the day of the ceremony, so my BRP will be valid until the ceremony?

2) Is it possible to change/postpone ceremony date (I've tried to call council a few times but so far no one answered)

3) Is there a deadline to attend the ceremony?

4) Am I going to receive anything from Home Office? Because all I received a letter from the council.

Thanks,
Abuzer

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Ceremony and BRP questions

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:52 pm

1) I know that I have to return BRP within 5 days of either
- going to your citizenship ceremony,
- getting your certificate of British citizenship
I think I will get certificate of British citizenship on the day of the ceremony, so my BRP will be valid until the ceremony?
a) You have to return your BRP card within 5 days AFTER you attend your ceremony (if you hold ILR and not PR under the EEA rules). You get your certificate AT the ceremony. You are only British once you have ATTENDED your ceremony.
2) Is it possible to change/postpone ceremony date (I've tried to call council a few times but so far no one answered)
You can change the date yes or book a private ceremony at an additional fee if you wish.
3) Is there a deadline to attend the ceremony?
Yes, within 90 days of receiving approval letter.
4) Am I going to receive anything from Home Office? Because all I received a letter from the council.
You should get or have received an approval letter in an A5 brown envelope, second class mail (looks a bit like junkmail) and you will need the letter to attend your ceremony as far as I recall.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

abuzer
Newly Registered
Turkey

Post by abuzer » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:45 am

Thanks for the quick reply.
So my BRP will be valid until ceremony and I can use it to enter UK.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:14 am

abuzer wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:45 am
Thanks for the quick reply.
So my BRP will be valid until ceremony and I can use it to enter UK.
Yes as you are not British yet.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.