ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship - New Online Application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Muyo
Newly Registered

Re: British Citizenship - New Online Application

Post by Muyo » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:49 pm

Hello everyone, thanks for the good feedback on the topics, reading the thread has helped me a lot in many areas. I have one concern though. I'm due to apply for Naturalization on the basis of 5years continuous residence in the UK and I have held ILR for 4yrs now. My worry is that my wife and I are separated (not legally but we are not on talking terms and live at different addresses). She is a naturalized British Citizen. The question is the application form requires that if one's spouse is a BC, they should check the box and also state the date the spouse acquired British Citizenship and the citizenship certificate number. My wife is not willing to give me that info. So Should I leave that part unanswered or I should put that she is a citizen Zimbabwe on the part which asks for spouse nationality, because she is a dual citizen. I just hope my question has come out clearly. Many thanks.

jimmywaley2k
Newly Registered

Post by jimmywaley2k » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:44 pm

Muyo wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:49 pm
Hello everyone, thanks for the good feedback on the topics, reading the thread has helped me a lot in many areas. I have one concern though. I'm due to apply for Naturalization on the basis of 5years continuous residence in the UK and I have held ILR for 4yrs now. My worry is that my wife and I are separated (not legally but we are not on talking terms and live at different addresses). She is a naturalized British Citizen. The question is the application form requires that if one's spouse is a BC, they should check the box and also state the date the spouse acquired British Citizenship and the citizenship certificate number. My wife is not willing to give me that info. So Should I leave that part unanswered or I should put that she is a citizen Zimbabwe on the part which asks for spouse nationality, because she is a dual citizen. I just hope my question has come out clearly. Many thanks.
hi Muyo,
if i get you correctly, you've had ILR for five or four year, you are separated from your wife who is now a British Citizen. technically you are somewhat divorce/separate even though it's not legally bonded.

If you are NOT married to or the civil partner of a British citizen (Section 6(1) of the British Nationality Act 1981) you don't have to use your wife to get naturalized since you already accrued the mandatory one year time frame after ILR and overall five years mandatory residency. otherwise If you are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen (section 6(2) of the British Nationality Act 1981) you would have qualified immediately you had ILR since your wife is British Citizen but since you are separated your best shot is to apply as having stayed in UK for over five years .
you can omit on the application form 1.32 - 1.37. and giver her details on 1.38 - 1.43
senior members can advise you more on this. this application form didn't give an option to

bunmilicious
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by bunmilicious » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:32 pm

Hi everyone,

I am hoping you can clarify something for me.

I want to appply for naturalisation and British passport online. My current passport is in my married name (I only just got it for purposes of this application) and my BRP for my ILR is still in my maiden name.

Can I submit my application with the new passport and my BRP like that as I will be providing my old passport with my supporting documents?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:53 am

Chris11234 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:42 pm
Hello guys,

I have a quick question about "be physically present in the UK during the last 12 months".

I am EEA citizen, with PR card issued 01/10/2017, so I can apply for naturalisation 01/10/2018. I have 6 x P60 (last for the period 04/2017-04/2018) but I quit my job in May and currently am looking for a new job ( I am not eligible for JSA).

Can you please advise what proof should I enclose to my application in October to cover this period? AN form suggests P60, payslips, documents, letters from government department, etc.

Obviously I have P60 for 04/2017-04/2018), and payslip for May, and I will find job soon (finger crossed) so payslips for Sept, October. Should I give proof of present in the UK for every months, or P60 will be enough? Will they accept tenancy agreement, utility bill, GP letter?

Should I initiate a correspondence to HMRC just to have letters from a government department?

Many thanks for your help,

Chris
There is no requirement to be physically present during the last 12 months. You are allowed absence of up to 90 days.

The physically present requirement is at the start of the residence period 5 years immediately preceding the date of application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Chris11234
Newly Registered

Post by Chris11234 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:12 am

CR001 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:53 am

Chris11234 wrote: ↑Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:42 pm
Hello guys,

I have a quick question about "be physically present in the UK during the last 12 months".

I am EEA citizen, with PR card issued 01/10/2017, so I can apply for naturalisation 01/10/2018. I have 6 x P60 (last for the period 04/2017-04/2018) but I quit my job in May and currently am looking for a new job ( I am not eligible for JSA).

Can you please advise what proof should I enclose to my application in October to cover this period? AN form suggests P60, payslips, documents, letters from government department, etc.

Obviously I have P60 for 04/2017-04/2018), and payslip for May, and I will find job soon (finger crossed) so payslips for Sept, October. Should I give proof of present in the UK for every months, or P60 will be enough? Will they accept tenancy agreement, utility bill, GP letter?

Should I initiate a correspondence to HMRC just to have letters from a government department?

Many thanks for your help,

Chris
There is no requirement to be physically present during the last 12 months. You are allowed absence of up to 90 days.

The physically present requirement is at the start of the residence period 5 years immediately preceding the date of application.

Thanks for your help CR001! So I have all paperwork covering the period 2012-2017, plus one more P60 received in April, a P45 from May, and that’s enough to prove my presence in the UK, is that correct? Nothing more? I don’t have to cover this 3 months I have been unemployed? Obviously I will have addition payslips once i’ve found a job. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Chris

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:17 am

Chris11234 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:12 am
Thanks for your help CR001! So I have all paperwork covering the period 2012-2017, plus one more P60 received in April, a P45 from May, and that’s enough to prove my presence in the UK, is that correct? Nothing more? I don’t have to cover this 3 months I have been unemployed? Obviously I will have addition payslips once i’ve found a job. Thanks in advance for your reply.
Your 5 years qualifying period is 2013 to 2018, the 5 years immediately preceding date of application for citizenship.

There is no requirement to be employed to qualify for citizenship. To prove you were present in the UK, you can use bank statements, utility bills, benefit letters if applicable etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Chris11234
Newly Registered

Post by Chris11234 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:27 pm

Your 5 years qualifying period is 2013 to 2018, the 5 years immediately preceding date of application for citizenship.

There is no requirement to be employed to qualify for citizenship. To prove you were present in the UK, you can use bank statements, utility bills, benefit letters if applicable etc.

CR001, you are a star! Thanks for your help!

Chris

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:29 pm

Chris11234 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:27 pm

CR001, you are a star! Thanks for your help!

Chris
You're welcome, feel free to ask again if you have any further questions.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

danial1980
Newly Registered
Iran

Post by danial1980 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:39 pm

Hello everyone,

Sorry for keep repeating my question. It might not seen or got lost through other questions. I am completing the UK citizenship using online services. While I found the application pretty straight forward, on the nationality section of the application I am finding one of the questions quite confusing.

I like to mention few facts about myself before digging more into this. I am an Iranian national and I have been granted refugee settlement (ILR) about a year ago. Currently I am holding a UK convention travel document and do not have any Iranian identification documents.

On the online application form there is a question states "Do you have a travel document?". When I answer yes and enter details of my UK convention travel document and proceed to next section, on the document I need to provide, It says that I need to have a travel document that is issued by Iran as a mandatory document which is not correct.

I was wondering if any of you guys can advise me on this. Thank you. :o

Izzah
Newly Registered

Post by Izzah » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:53 pm

i submitted an online form for british naturalisation. I made a mistake on my previous address.I used to live there from 26th january 2012 to 20th October 2017.I mistakenly put the wrong year, i put 20th october 2018. Today is 15th of august 2018.How to correct it? Is there anyone to help? Should i send a letter to home office to correct the date with my document by post? Can anyone advise me what to do pleas?

Query1982
Newly Registered
India

Post by Query1982 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:04 am

I had enquired about my application (5 year ILR spouse of BN- applied through JCAP NDRS Edinburgh) after my passport fees was deducted on July 12th, and after a month of waiting I assumed my letter must have gotten lost in the post, so in a panic I contacted citizenship.support@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

They replied back to me promptly, which was a relief as I was very worried.

But their reply has confused me further as I have been following the application timelines in this forum and I realised people who have applied a month later than I have already recieved their approvals. I am a Non EEA national and my spouse is a British National, we also have a British child.

The reply I got was -
"On Friday, 10 August 2018, MMST FMT <NationalitySupportTeamFMT@homeoffice.gov.uk> wrote:
According to our records no invitation has or will not currently be issued as applications are dealt with in application receipt date order. As your application was received on 18th May 18, It will take a while longer for your application to be considered. Once your application is decided, you will be contacted by your caseworker."

So I was wondering if applications are dealt with in different date orders for Scotland, England, Wales and Ireland? Or is it the same for all?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:35 am

So I was wondering if applications are dealt with in different date orders for Scotland, England, Wales and Ireland? Or is it the same for all?
I cannot comment on date order, but clearly this is not the case, with some applications being approved in a couple of months and some in 6+ months. It does however show that the passport fee deduction is not an indication of approval.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Muyo
Newly Registered

Post by Muyo » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:45 am

Hello everyone, just a quick question. When is the nationalisation application considered submitted? Is it the day one pays the nationalisation application fee or the date of attending NDRS? My issue is that I applied and paid on 19/08/18 at 00:25hrs, but the payment confirmation e-mail which was auto generated and came 1 minute after payment says payment is successful and puts the date as 18/08/2018 which date does not comply with my being in the country 5 years ago date requirement. Because I was in the country on the 19th. I'll really appreciate your advice.

Also to let you know, my NDRS appointment is on 20/08/18.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:49 am

Muyo wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:45 am
Hello everyone, just a quick question. When is the nationalisation application considered submitted? Is it the day one pays the nationalisation application fee or the date of attending NDRS? My issue is that I applied and paid on 19/08/18 at 00:25hrs, but the payment confirmation e-mail which was auto generated and came 1 minute after payment says payment is successful and puts the date as 18/08/2018 which date does not comply with my being in the country 5 years ago date requirement. Because I was in the country on the 19th. I'll really appreciate your advice.

If you apply and pay online, that is the date of application that you submit and pay.

If you apply by post, it is the day that HO receives your application.

If you apply through NCS with the paper form, it is the date of your NCS appointment.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Muyo
Newly Registered

Post by Muyo » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:03 am

Do you reckon I should print out the e-mail as it shows that it was sent on 19/08/2018 at 00:26hrs although it says payment was for 18/08/18 which is clearly is an error. And attach a cover letter when I attend NDRS?

Muyo
Newly Registered

Post by Muyo » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:06 am

CR001 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:49 am
Muyo wrote:

If you apply and pay online, that is the date of application that you submit and pay.

If you apply through NCS with the paper form, it is the date of your NCS appointment.
Do you reckon I should print out the e-mail as it shows that it was sent at 00:26hrs on 19/08/2018 although it says payment was done on 18/08/18 which is clearly an error or I should Ignore it?

Muyo
Newly Registered

Post by Muyo » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Muyo wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:06 am
CR001 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:49 am
Muyo wrote:

Do you reckon I should print out the e-mail as it shows that it was sent at 00:26hrs on 19/08/2018 although it says payment was done on 18/08/18 which is clearly an error or I should Ignore it?
Update:

I'd like to thank you so much for the timely response. After printing my biometric enrolment letter and naturalization application form, I realised that the right date of submission (19/08/18) and time were printed on it. (What a relief!) The false date was only on the payment acknowledgement document.
I now await submission of original documents at NDRS.

Once again thanks to everyone who puts in an effort to pass on information. This process can be nerve recking.

hslondon
Newly Registered

Post by hslondon » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:03 pm

hi
i am mr singh i apply my first british passport but on my indian passport their is not surname when i apply for bristish passport they refused to issue my passport because indian passport name is harjinder singh and when i apply british passport form i fill it surname singh and first name harjinder .when i went to vfs to change my name on indian passport they said to me they cannot chnage name on indian passport because i have britsh citizenship they said to me i need surrender my passport and i will get surrender certificate on same name. when i said to HMPO indian ebassy refused to change name on indian passport because i am now british citizenship they send me letter they want written proof from indian high commision so please can anyone advice me what should i do?
thanks

rikabi

Post by rikabi » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:01 am

Applying online only, do you need to print and post the copy of the form as well or is this received electrioncally?

benaly
Newly Registered
Turkey

Post by benaly » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:29 am

Hi everyone ,
i am applying the AN online and have a question about my surname..
All my bank statements,my bills,my driving licence and wedding certificate are on my surname.
However, when i was changing my Turkish passport i had to take my husbands parents surname who have Turkish citizenship. I tried all the options to take my husband's Bulgarian surname but was not accepted by the Turkish Embassy.So now my husband and son have same surname not me!!
i am wandering is there any chance to get my UK passport on my husband's surname?
If i write a cover letter and its excepted what documents should i take with me to the ceremony?if i have no photo id on husbands surname is the marriage certificate enough to prove it ?
Tia

dc-cello
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

Post by dc-cello » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:03 pm

Regarding the previous applications section, there is some ambiguity as far as the date is concerned. Are they asking for the date on which the application was sent, received, or approved?

Ancestor
South Africa

Post by Ancestor » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:35 pm

dc-cello wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:03 pm
Regarding the previous applications section, there is some ambiguity as far as the date is concerned. Are they asking for the date on which the application was sent, received, or approved?
My understanding, from previous posters comments is that as long as the date is approximate there or thereabouts is okay as HO will have a history and record to pick up those previous applications.

This, unless someone else knows different?

That said, I think it is mean't to be the application submission date.

shaz429
Newly Registered

Post by shaz429 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:53 pm

Hi,

I recently filled online application but here it's asking for Two referee declarations, although I entered two referees details but now how did get them signed or signature field is appeared on the form after printing...?

Secondly, countersignatory must be professional for British Passport form or any British passport holder can sign ..?

Regards,
Shaz

rlobo
Newly Registered

Post by rlobo » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:43 pm

Hello all,

To the ones who have submitted applications online - has anyone completed the process and gain their naturalisation/citizenship? If yes, how long did that take?

Paper based applications take about 6 months, but that is because everything is manual. Online applications save the home office tremendous amounts of time and effort. (or so I would think..)

It would be helpful to have an indication of timeframes.

Thank you!
Reshma

ootum04
Newly Registered

Post by ootum04 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:46 pm

I read a lot about online application and probably it’s the fastest way today. But I preferred to use NCS - sent my application Via NCS on 17th August, HO received it on 20th August, payment taken on 29th August - biometric letter dated 29th August received 1st sept- all this took weeks l, but am relief due to I have kept all my original docs inc Resident card and passport - only original paper got sent was my application and life in the UK test certificate.