ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 Exceptional Talent application (non tech)

Only for the Global Talent visa, formerly known as Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

chechoacg
Newly Registered

Tier 1 Exceptional Talent application (non tech)

Post by chechoacg » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:49 pm

Hello Everyone,

I found some posts here helpful so I wanted to contribute my experience with the application process I did to get a Tier 1 Exceptional Talent/Promise. Prior to this I had been living in the UK for 6 years where I studied (Bachelors & MA) and worked for 2 years on a Tier 2 Visa. I left the UK in order to do the application as I couldn't transfer from the Visa category I had to the Tier 1.

Stage 1: I am a musician, so the awarding body I applied to was the Arts Council England. I collected all the documents needed and applied through the Exceptional Promise category.

- 3 letters of recommendation. 2 of them were from UK based businesses and 1 was a personal reference
- 10 evidence documents. A mixture of contracts of shows/tours, payments and invoices of concerts, proof of radio airplay, performances, or reviews of released recordings or performances as part of different projects (not just on my own)
- The necessary form properly filled out.

I sent the documents by Royal Mail (someone kindly gathered them and helped me organise them by distance) on the 12th of December on next day delivery. On the 14th of Dec. they took the payment from my account. They inform you it takes between 6-8 weeks to receive an answer.

On the 10th of January I received an email from the Home Office with the Letter of Endorsement of the Arts Council. So on to Stage 2.

Stage 2: On the 11th I filled out the visa application form, payed the health surcharge and visa fee (Ouch!) and requested a Visa application appointment for the 13th of January. I took the form and the endorsement letter, they took my biometric details and off it went.

A week later (20th of Jan) I received my passport with the vignette and a letter that approved my application for the requested time and instructions to pick up my BRP. And that was all ...

Hope you find it helpful !! and good luck !!

Musician88
Newly Registered

Re: Tier 1 Exceptional Talent application (non tech)

Post by Musician88 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:10 pm

Dear Chechoacg,

Thanks for this very helpful info! I'm also a classical musician applying for exceptional promise and have several press articles etc to submit to the Arts Council for endoresment, but for the proof of concerts section, would copies of programmes from prestigious concerts with ensembles with which I play be valid in your opinion? What sort of specific documents did you submit?

Many thanks and congrats on your success!

dcroim
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by dcroim » Tue May 01, 2018 10:38 pm

Hi Chechoacg,

I realise this post is over a year old and you might not see this, but I'm in a similar position and I have a few questions. I'm an electronic musician and I'm a bit unsure as to what "level" of performances they are looking for. I've performed at nationally/internationally recognized festivals as well as smaller gigs in the US and Canada but I don't know if those smaller gigs would count? The same question would go for reviews I guess. I have a few international reviews but also a few national ones as well. I guess Im just trying to figure out what "level" I need to be at to qualify as promising!

Thanks for any and all help!

SarjanNartan
Newly Registered
India

Post by SarjanNartan » Sat May 12, 2018 12:27 am

Hi I am thinking to apply on promise category. Can you please brief on documents you submitted with application.
Means the 3 letters were from Same arts organisations or you said businesses means what kind?
Also 10 documents means how did you count. Also did you sumbmit Media recognisation? If yes then how did you managed to collect them as I have got some news channels covered my show and articles, press release and photo albums of my appearances so how would I sum not as they asked for only 10 documents.
Anything else I am missing?
Please guide and advice.
Thank you

rastica
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by rastica » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:51 pm

Hey just to add some answers to this thread for those who may still be looking:

I applied for and received the Exceptional Talent (Exceptional Promise) visa in 2015, through the Arts Council England endorsement route (I am a visual arts curator.) I then helped 2 other friends apply for & receive this visa (one was an artist filmmaker, one was a arts writer/critic.)

My memory from 2015 is a little fuzzy by now, but here's some answers
SarjanNartan wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 12:27 am
Means the 3 letters were from Same arts organisations or you said businesses means what kind?
Here are the guidelines: https://www.artscouncil.org.uk/tier-1-h ... #section-3

See Question 2. They need to be from different arts organisations, and one of them needs to be in the UK. Just follow their guidelines carefully. For the UK organisation, I advised my friends to choose an organisation that the Arts Council was likely to have heard of – so, it could be an organisation that has received Arts Council funding in the past. This is not in the strict guidance, but just what I thought was best, and luckily they had a connection to some Arts Council funded organisations.
SarjanNartan wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 12:27 am
Also 10 documents means how did you count. Also did you sumbmit Media recognisation? If yes then how did you managed to collect them as I have got some news channels covered my show and articles, press release and photo albums of my appearances so how would I sum not as they asked for only 10 documents.
See Question 1 of the guidelines: https://www.artscouncil.org.uk/tier-1-h ... #section-3

Again I can't quite remember but I think you are required to submit these as PDFs/printout documents, or links. If you are including broadcasts and they are not available online, get a copy and upload them to YouTube, and include the link. Just make everything really clear and easy for them. You also need to provide documents from at least 2 countries, not just your own (since they want to see that you are internationally recognized.)
Musician88 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:10 pm
for the proof of concerts section, would copies of programmes from prestigious concerts with ensembles with which I play be valid in your opinion? What sort of specific documents did you submit?
Yes, I think this would be acceptable, as long as they can see the name of the venue/organisation on the programme, and your name too. They are ultimately just using their judgment.
dcroim wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 10:38 pm
I'm a bit unsure as to what "level" of performances they are looking for. I've performed at nationally/internationally recognized festivals as well as smaller gigs in the US and Canada but I don't know if those smaller gigs would count? The same question would go for reviews I guess... Im just trying to figure out what "level" I need to be at to qualify as promising!
It's all subjective, really! But throughout the guidance, they do mention several times these should be 'internationally recognized in your field'. So I would cut out any really local stuff and just focus on national and international stuff, that could be deemed internationally relevant.

In short, I remember feeling nervous whether myself or my friends would qualify, especially since they mention that you can include a "Academy Award, BAFTA, Golden Globe or Emmy Award", in the guidance. :shock: We're all pretty experienced, but nowhere near that level, by a long, long shot. :lol: But we made it!

Also I'd really encourage anyone from any country to have the confidence to apply, not just those of us from US, Canada, Australia etc. The Arts Council staff are mostly champions of diversity in the UK's cultural life. If you are recognized in your country with a bit of international experience too, go for it. Just make the strongest case possible, and try to make it really clear for them, like you would on a job application. Make sure your letters or recommendation and media recognition are from reputable organisations, even if they are small ones. Just always think, what would someone in the UK need to know about this evidence I'm providing, to understand its importance or relevance? And then try to spell that out for them however you can, within the guidelines.

Good luck to everyone!

Ksarian1
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Ksarian1 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:04 pm

Thank you for the encouragement! Im an actress applying for Tier 1 Exceptional Promise and the requirements seem daunting and anxiety provoking!

Also:
How long after biometrics do I have before I post it to decision making centre?

I have accidentally applied for stage 2 online, before stage 1. I have a biometrics appointment set up next week! I do not plan on sending my biometrics in until I have received my stage 1 endorsement. Is there a strict timeframe from when biometrics are completed and when you send them in to the decision making centre?? Sooo worried. Please advise!!!

SarjanNartan
Newly Registered
India

Post by SarjanNartan » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:04 am

Thank you so much @rastica and board & members for all valuable posts, replies & guidance. Glad to share that I cleared stage 1 endorsement through ACE with all guidance provided here.
Applied for stage 2 on 31st July and now waiting to get clear stage 2 in UK.
I just wanted to find out what is the latest processing time within UK application for stage 2.
Many thanks for all kind guidance, it’s been really helpful for my application.

rastica
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by rastica » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:28 am

SarjanNartan wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:04 am
Thank you so much @rastica and board & members for all valuable posts, replies & guidance. Glad to share that I cleared stage 1 endorsement through ACE with all guidance provided here.
I just wanted to find out what is the latest processing time within UK application for stage 2.
CONGRATULATIONS!! That's great news!! Glad our advice was helpful. I have made quite a few visa applications over the years, and only with the help and encouragement of boards like this one. I'm very happy for you.

The visa processing times are online somewhere, I thought it was here: https://visa-processingtimes.homeoffice.gov.uk – but if you click through using, say, Toronto (for me) it's not showing any Tier 1 visas. Maybe none were processed in May, where the data is from. But you can see for Hong Kong (ie) it shows most Tier 1s are being processed within 30-60 days. https://visa-processingtimes.homeoffice ... -china/all

rastica
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by rastica » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:32 am

(Oh sorry, your question was for inside the UK. Not sure where to find that. I don't think its going to be any longer than the international guidance; maybe shorter.)

marcnath

Post by marcnath » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:49 am

SarjanNartan wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:04 am
Congratulations and all the best for Stage 2.

Processing times within UK are unfortunately not published or available.
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

SarjanNartan
Newly Registered
India

Post by SarjanNartan » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:30 pm

Thank you so much for all valuable responses! Glad to share that in my surprise on Friday I asked the time limit for stage 2 and during afternoon I received my letter of approval in Post.
Couldn’t even believe with out any corespondence I received the letter.
But it is a happy ending of my story.
I really wanted to thank you all advisers, Forum members for posts, replies/ responses and guidance. I am sure you can find all your answers regarding visas in this forum.
Once again big thank you to this forum and all.
Good luck to all those who are planning to apply or in process.

thomp
Newly Registered

Post by thomp » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:55 pm

Hello,

I am having difficulty with whether I am eligible to apply for the Tier 1 visa.

My practice is a bit unconventional - I am a professional skateboarder.

I feel that my practice is much more suited to this visa then the 'sports' visas that is also offered.

This is because skateboarding is not a sport, its a culture. I don't skateboard competitively, I do tricks and show skills, redefining architecture and the street. I have 3 major sponsors here in the UK, one of which has offered to put me under contract.

The difference is also obvious in the kind of evidence that I can supply - Ive had many features in the top skating magazines and films, many of which have been produced in the UK. I don't have sports titles or trophies - its just not that kind of industry. I wouldn't say that the skating industry is part of the sports industry - I would say skating is an art form.

What does anyone think?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:09 pm

thomp wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:55 pm
Hello,

I am having difficulty with whether I am eligible to apply for the Tier 1 visa.

My practice is a bit unconventional - I am a professional skateboarder.

I feel that my practice is much more suited to this visa then the 'sports' visas that is also offered.

This is because skateboarding is not a sport, its a culture. I don't skateboard competitively, I do tricks and show skills, redefining architecture and the street. I have 3 major sponsors here in the UK, one of which has offered to put me under contract.

The difference is also obvious in the kind of evidence that I can supply - Ive had many features in the top skating magazines and films, many of which have been produced in the UK. I don't have sports titles or trophies - its just not that kind of industry. I wouldn't say that the skating industry is part of the sports industry - I would say skating is an art form.

What does anyone think?

Thanks
Unlikely you qualify and get stage 1 endorsement for this visa. Page 28 for the Arts endorsement criteria.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 7_2018.pdf
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

thomp
Newly Registered

Post by thomp » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:11 pm

Even if photographs and films of me have been exhibited in the UK?

Thank you for your help

rastica
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by rastica » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:20 am

thomp wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:11 pm
Even if photographs and films of me have been exhibited in the UK?

Thank you for your help
Unfortunately, no. I know the Arts Council pretty well, and feel certain their assessors wouldn't consider your skateboarding work to fall under their criteria for arts. Also you need to have letters of recommendation from arts organisations talking about your art practice – skateboarding organisations / etc wouldn't count. :(