ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 Parents Immigration status

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

prince99
Mood:
India

MN1 Parents Immigration status

Post by prince99 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:30 am

Hello all,
the online application is asking for parents immigration status and I'm on ILR and Child is born in UK when I dont have ILR. should I answer Yes for the below question??

"Are you relying on your parent's permanent residence (either as an EEA National or the family member of an EEA National) as evidence of their settled status in the United Kingdom?"

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: MN1 Parents Immigration status

Post by CR001 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:44 am

prince99 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:30 am
"Are you relying on your parent's permanent residence (either as an EEA National or the family member of an EEA National) as evidence of their settled status in the United Kingdom?"
No as you did NOT get PR under the EEA/EU rules as you held Tier 2 before ILR. You don't complete EEA/EU family sections.

Are you using the online form? Note that not all of us can see the questions on the online forms.

There should be a part where it asks parent details and status, per page 5 of the paper form.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -07-18.pdf
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

prince99
Mood:
India

Post by prince99 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:59 am

Hi CR001,
I am using online form as NCS doesnt have dates for next couple of weeks.

I filled in the parents details of both me and my wife (PBS dependant not ILR).

it didnt mention section 3 so got confused.

quick question:
1.Should I fill in all the previous address of where we/she lived in UK?
she is out of country for 6 months, I filled in that overseas address. is that ok?

2. Should other documents listed like : Parents consent letter ?

thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:01 am

1. Fine.

2. No. Submit what the form asks.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

prince99
Mood:
India

Post by prince99 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:11 am

Thanks CR001.

I filled in 90% of application and when I downloaded partially filled application, It mentioned documents:
PR proof of mine.
Marriage Certificate.
Applicant BRP n Passport.
Birth Certificate.
"A letter of consent from xxx parent(s) or legal guardian(s)
The letter must:
give their full names and addresses say that they agree to let you apply for a British citizenship
If you have more than one parent or legal guardian, they must both sign the letter and
confirm that they agree to what it says. The letter must be an original document - not a
photocopy. If you only have one parent or legal guardian they must explain why the
other parent is unable to consent e.g. whereabouts unknown, no contact since
MM/YYYY."

thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:13 am

It is not needed for UK born children who have an entitlement to register as British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

prince99
Mood:
India

Post by prince99 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:15 am

Thank you.

prince99
Mood:
India

Post by prince99 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:36 am

CR001 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:13 am
It is not needed for UK born children who have an entitlement to register as British.
Hi Cr001,
Should I send both myself and my wife passport along with mn1 form or just mine is sufficient?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:39 am

Only the parent who holds ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

prince99
Mood:
India

Post by prince99 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:53 am

Thanks and I filled the complete online application which is asking for consent of both parents form to be filled and sent along with 2 referees...🤔

Also paper form saying section 3(5) and 4D and all other applications to fill parents consent letter..

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:57 am

Thanks and I filled the complete online application which is asking for consent of both parents form to be filled and sent along with 2 referees...🤔
You need the referees regardless of paper or online form. If the form has a consent page for both parents to sign, what is the issue then to get your spouse to sign in Section 7?? You previously asked about a consent letter, which I said was not needed. You did not ask about the consent page of the form.
Also paper form saying section 3(5) and 4D and all other applications to fill parents consent letter..
Section 3(5) and 4D is NOT relevant to your childs application as they are applying under section 1(3). Have you read the MN1 guidance notes???
The consent of both parents is required for applications made under section 3(5) and 4D and is
expected for all other applications.
It says 'expected', not 'mandatory'. A UK born child has an entitlement to register.

You are overthinking this process.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

SidiBou
Mood:

Post by SidiBou » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:52 pm

CR001 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:39 am
Only the parent who holds ILR.
Hi CR001 and All-

I just received my ILR card for myself, wife and 2 children (3 and 4). Both children born in the UK. I am filling out the online MN1 application. However, I noticed the online version is not asking me to fill out a table with the children absence for the last 3 years Vs the paper application which does.
Is that because my children have an ILR which makes them compliant with the continuous residency rqt? Or will that be asked at later stage?

I copied the below from the MN1 guidelines document:
“SECTION 2: RESIDENCE
2.3 Fill in this table showing the periods the child has been abroad during the 3 years residence in the UK or British overseas territory if appropriate ignoring the day they left and arrived back in the United Kingdom/territory. If there is not enough room for all the absences then continue on page 31. Add up the total and write it in the space indicated.”

Thanks!

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:14 am

There are no residence requirements for registrations of UK-born children under Section 1(3).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

SidiBou
Mood:

Post by SidiBou » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:26 am

vinny wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:14 am
There are no residence requirements for registrations of UK-born children under Section 1(3).
Thanks Vinny!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:43 am

Why did you apply for ILR for the children?? There was no need to. You could have skipped ILR for them and applied for citizenship directly once either parent got ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

SidiBou
Mood:

Post by SidiBou » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:08 am

CR001 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:43 am
Why did you apply for ILR for the children?? There was no need to. You could have skipped ILR for them and applied for citizenship directly once either parent got ILR.
Hi CR001,
I knew you would have asked me that question :)

You are correct it does not make sense to spend 3K x 2 for ILR when you can do citizenship for kids. However, since my company paid for it in full utilising a 3rd party professional firm E2E, why not? I requested that to avoid travel restrictions while waiting on citizenship approval. Especially that I have several family trips lined up and knowing that it takes up to 6 months for a decision. Truly, the average is 1 month but why risking it if there is a good alternative that does not put a financial burden on me.

Thanks for your continuous support and expertise. I am really impressed with your level of knowledge and dedication to help others.