ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Industrial Placement for PBS Tier-2 Dependant Child

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

AW_UK
Newly Registered

Industrial Placement for PBS Tier-2 Dependant Child

Post by AW_UK » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:47 pm

Hello friends,

I have a question regarding my son (age 20 yrs) who is currently in UK as PBS Tier-2 Dependant Child. He has just completed his 1st year in a UK University and paying international tuition fee since he was not eligible for local fee.

He wanted to go for an 'Industrial Placement' year at the end of 2nd year. The industrical placement will be paid (~20K). He will resume and finish the 3rd year of the Uni after 1-yr of industrial placement.

About Industrial Placement: An industrial placement year is one year of your course – usually the third – where instead of going to lectures you go to work at a placement where you’ll learn practical skills relevant to your course. You’ll still be considered a full-time student during your placement year, and will complete an additional year of university-based study afterwards, making the average three-year course four years in duration. This will be usually paid with 35-40 hrs/week.

Query: I wanted to find out whether doing the paid 'Industrial Placement' by PBS Dependant Child (over 18 yrs of age) for 1-yr with 35-80 hrs/week will not affect his eligibility for the ILR. He will be eligible for ILR in Dec-2020. Basically I am concerned if the paid Industrial Placement is considered as 'Leading an Independent' life making him un-eligible for the ILR.

Many thanks for your guidance.

cyclina1
Hong Kong

Re: Industrial Placement for PBS Tier-2 Dependant Child

Post by cyclina1 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:36 pm

AW_UK wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:47 pm
Hello friends,

I have a question regarding my son (age 20 yrs) who is currently in UK as PBS Tier-2 Dependant Child. He has just completed his 1st year in a UK University and paying international tuition fee since he was not eligible for local fee.

He wanted to go for an 'Industrial Placement' year at the end of 2nd year. The industrical placement will be paid (~20K). He will resume and finish the 3rd year of the Uni after 1-yr of industrial placement.

About Industrial Placement: An industrial placement year is one year of your course – usually the third – where instead of going to lectures you go to work at a placement where you’ll learn practical skills relevant to your course. You’ll still be considered a full-time student during your placement year, and will complete an additional year of university-based study afterwards, making the average three-year course four years in duration. This will be usually paid with 35-40 hrs/week.

Query: I wanted to find out whether doing the paid 'Industrial Placement' by PBS Dependant Child (over 18 yrs of age) for 1-yr with 35-80 hrs/week will not affect his eligibility for the ILR. He will be eligible for ILR in Dec-2020. Basically I am concerned if the paid Industrial Placement is considered as 'Leading an Independent' life making him un-eligible for the ILR.

Many thanks for your guidance.
You need to obtain the letter from the university (and also the company he will go for placement) to prove that the placement is part of the university training but just get paid. After the placement, your son will go back to the university to complete his course. During the whole period of time, he is still financially dependent on you. It should not be formed as an independent life.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice.

AW_UK
Newly Registered

Re: Industrial Placement for PBS Tier-2 Dependant Child

Post by AW_UK » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:41 pm

Thanks very much.