ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Does spouse require to switch visa status immediately after partner got ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

bezawada
Newly Registered

Does spouse require to switch visa status immediately after partner got ILR

Post by bezawada » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:37 pm

Hi,

I'm planning to apply for ILR visa (LR route) in next month. Currently I'm on Tier-2 General Visa and my wife is on Tier-2 Dependent visa which expires in May 2020. Does she need to switch her visa immediately once my ILR visa has been approved?
Is there any time limit that spouse visa should also be changed based on main applicant?

Someone please give me any advice.

Many thanks in advance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Does spouse require to switch visa status immediately after partner got ILR

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:46 pm

Does she need to switch her visa immediately once my ILR visa has been approved?
No. Best though to switch as soon as possible to get her 5 years residence clock for ILR started
Is there any time limit that spouse visa should also be changed based on main applicant?
No. But traveling out of the UK is risky if she doesn't switch first.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

bezawada
Newly Registered

Post by bezawada » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:54 pm

okay, Many thanks for your swift response.

ntt05r
Vietnam

Post by ntt05r » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:20 pm

Hi CR001

If the spouses Tier 2 dependant visa still valid why is it risky to travel in and out of the UK?

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:42 pm

It's risky to travel.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ntt05r
Vietnam

Post by ntt05r » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:30 am

Thanks Vinny. I have been following this sort of topic quite closely because I am in a similar situation. From what I gather in previous posts and also from the link you provided it's only risky for people who intend to apply using the LR route?

My wife is on a Tier 2 dependant, she will apply for ILR using the 5 year route just a few months after me. Is it risky to travel in this case? If its risky she wont travel but if you say risky might it affect her ILR application when her time comes?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:34 am

ntt05r wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:30 am
Thanks Vinny. I have been following this sort of topic quite closely because I am in a similar situation. From what I gather in previous posts and also from the link you provided it's only risky for people who intend to apply using the LR route?

My wife is on a Tier 2 dependant, she will apply for ILR using the 5 year route just a few months after me. Is it risky to travel in this case? If its risky she wont travel but if you say risky might it affect her ILR application when her time comes?
It is NOT relevant to PBS applicants and dependents applying for ILR after 5 years residence!!!

The rules allow her to Continue on her visa and she is free to travel if you get ILR based on PBS route.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.