ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Married to US citizen - Move to US

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

gimli
Newly Registered
Wales

UK Married to US citizen - Move to US

Post by gimli » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:11 pm

Hi all

Apologies if this has been asked a zillion times on here but I found this site extremely useful when my partner (now wife) moved to the UK in 10 years ago. Im now after more information from the experts as we are looking at the options of moving to the US to live work. I have added as much detail as I can think of below to help with any possible advice.

UK Guy - Currently employed (teacher) age 51 Uk citizen from birth
US Girl - Dual nationality US/UK age 47, moved to UK in 2007 became UK citizen in 2009 (also kept US nationality)
One child age 7 (UK citizen)
US Girl has a daughter (19yo) currently living in the US (Student who is a US citizen)

My research so far has shown up that we are able to use form l-130 which seems to be for applying for a spouse visa when outside of the USA. This entails a pack being sent to the UK citizen with details of whats needed etc. These however are my questions that I need help with....

1. If we apply for this now and are successful, is there a time limit on when we would need to move to the US
2. Would our child be included or should there be a separate application
3. Would we have to buy property in US before moving or could we rent (we intend buying)
4. I would like to continue working for at least 8-10 years (maybe not in teaching as thats complicated to transition to in US) but if I apply for Green Card too then is there a time limit again before moving

Sorry if there are a lot of questions, I'm keen to get this rolling as we have been talking about it for a year or two at least.

Thank you so much in advance for any advice that is offered

Cheers all

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Re: UK Married to US citizen - Move to US

Post by max307 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:55 pm

1. If we apply for this now and are successful, is there a time limit on when we would need to move to the US

I don't understand your question, do you want to apply for a green card but not move to the US immediately if you receive it?

2. Would our child be included or should there be a separate application

Your 7 years old child is a US citizen as well, right? https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... broad.html

3. Would we have to buy property in US before moving or could we rent (we intend buying)

No need to buy a property, you can rent.

4. I would like to continue working for at least 8-10 years (maybe not in teaching as thats complicated to
transition to in US) but if I apply for Green Card too then is there a time limit again before moving

I don't understand your question, do you want to apply for a green card but not move to the US immediately you receive it?
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

gimli
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by gimli » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:41 pm

Thanks Max.

The child as stated is a uk citizen, born in uk. The question about the green card is this.

If I apply and obtain a green card through spouse using the route mentioned, is there a limit before I have to travel to the US. I mean if I am successful in obtaining the green card, is there any kind of time limit on it before I find employment from here on the UK? Hope this makes sense.

Cheers

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:20 pm

gimli wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:41 pm
Thanks Max.

The child as stated is a uk citizen, born in uk. The question about the green card is this.

If I apply and obtain a green card through spouse using the route mentioned, is there a limit before I have to travel to the US. I mean if I am successful in obtaining the green card, is there any kind of time limit on it before I find employment from here on the UK? Hope this makes sense.

Cheers
If the mother of the child is a US citizen then the child is a US citizen regardless of the place of birth, no need to apply for a green card for the child rather apply for a US passport.

Once you have received your immigrant visa, you must enter the US within the visa validity period to obtain an alien registration receipt or “green” card (Form I-151 or I-551) that will allow you to live and work in the United States.

Do you want to start looking for jobs in the US once your immigrant visa has been approved but not move there until a job has been secured?
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

gimli
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by gimli » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:38 pm

Thanks again for the reply. The bit about outlet son was a surprise to both of us. Had no idea that even though he was born in the Uk, due to moms dual nationality that he can automatically apply for a US passport.

Yes the general idea was to look for jobs after immigration visa was approved. Do you there will be an issue with that? New to all off this going the other way to USA. Was much easier for wife to move here lol

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:51 pm

gimli wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:38 pm
Thanks again for the reply. The bit about outlet son was a surprise to both of us. Had no idea that even though he was born in the Uk, due to moms dual nationality that he can automatically apply for a US passport.

Yes the general idea was to look for jobs after immigration visa was approved. Do you there will be an issue with that? New to all off this going the other way to USA. Was much easier for wife to move here lol
Yeah definitely easier moving to the UK from the US :D

The process of acquisition of US citizenship for your son is explained in the following link, get in touch with the US embassy in London and they should be able to help.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... broad.html

You have a limited time to enter the US once the visa is approved, I don't know how that's going to work for you. The following link explains the whole process of becoming a permanent resident based on the marriage to a US citizen.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/fil ... s/A1en.pdf

gimli
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by gimli » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Thank you so much for your help. Some reading over the weekend me thinks. Really appreciate the links. Cheers again