ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Two valid passports in different names

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mt0007
Newly Registered
Mood:
Hong Kong

Two valid passports in different names

Post by mt0007 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:31 pm

Hi, I would like to ask a question about my naturalisation application.  I received ILR status in end of December 2017, through tier 2 visa, therefore should be able to apply for naturalisation and UK passport (at the same time) as at end December 2018.

I have two valid passports: (i) Hong Kong SAR passport and (ii) BNO passport. However, my two passports have slightly different names , for example, it is “Mei Yee Abbie Tang” on Hong Kong SAR passport while it is “Abbie Mei Yee Tang” on the BNO passport. The name on my BRP is the same as the one on the BNO.

I am aware that to naturalise / apply for UK citizenship you need to have all valid passports of the same name. Then I would like to ask if I need to change my name on my BNO passport and BRP now before I apply for naturalisation in December?
Or, can I cancel one of.the passport (the Hong Kong one?), then apply for naturalisation?

many thanks for any help!!

vinny

Re: Two valid passports in different names

Post by vinny » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:27 am

To avoid refusal, confusion and allegations of identity thief, names in all documents should be identical.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:01 pm

mt0007 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:31 pm
I am aware that to naturalise / apply for UK citizenship you need to have all valid passports of the same name.
Interesting that vinny didn't cite any sources for that.

What is true is that to get a new British passport, all your valid passports will have to show the name you want on your new British passport, or you need to produce evidence that your non-British passports cannot have the name you normally use.

mt0007
Newly Registered
Mood:
Hong Kong

Post by mt0007 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:55 pm

Thank you for you advice.

so my BNO and Hong Kong passports are now of the same name.

I have updated my name in the BNO as I can do this in the UK and kept my name in the Hong Kong passport as I called the Hong Kong Immigration Department and they told me that I needed to do the change in Hong Kong only.

My question :?: is: Do I need to update the name on my BRP (I have ILR already) before doing online application for naturalisation :?: :?:

My change of name effective date is 8th Nov 2018 but I can apply for citizenship from 29 December 2018 onwards. This is only a 2 months window...and changing name on BRP will take time and more money :cry: ...any advice will be appreciated !!

thanks,