ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Universal credit refused

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

whatislife786

Universal credit refused

Post by whatislife786 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:41 pm

Dear members and gurus,
I got permanent residence card jan 2017 under reatin rights.
I have applied for universal credit in july 2018
Today just got letter saying your are not family member of union citizen anymore therefore your universal credit has been refused.
Can someone tell me having pr card what are my rights?
Thanks in advance

rs315
Newly Registered

Re: Universal credit refused

Post by rs315 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:53 pm

Your PR status entitles you to be treated like BC for the purpose of benefits. Their decision is wrong and you should request a mandatory reconsideration.

I have been refused as well recently and their reason was that despite having PR I need to be working or self-sufficient. This is not the case. My research into the DWP has found that case workers are encouraged to and indeed trained to refuse applications for benefits for reasons that are not justifiable, causing approximately more than 60% of their decisions to be overturned at appeal.

Just as the Windrush scandal shamed the Home Office, I have no doubt that a scandal is brewing with regards to the DWP's treatment of those applying for benefits. The DWP's denial of benefits and the hardships and stress that comes with it has even caused individuals to take their own lives.

I applied for reconsideration 6 weeks ago. Over the phone initially, then I sent documents to support my claim via recorded delivery. Only to find that the DWP is claiming to not have the documents presently though they were signed for. They are obviously playing games. I had to then get the said documents scanned at my local jobcentre and seek the help of my MP.

You are entitled to UC so pursue it until it is resolved.

whatislife786

Post by whatislife786 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:17 am

Thanks for your reply i have applied for mandatory reconsideration yesterday let’s see how long it will take did you get any answer from dwp?

rs315
Newly Registered

Post by rs315 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:19 am

My reconsideration was approved, but getting them to re-open my account has taken weeks. Based on my experience I have no faith in the DWP. I really feel for those people who do not have the confidence or energy to challenge them. I has been an exhausting few months to say the least.

I'm sure you'll hear good news soon.