ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Successful FLR FP Partner Premium Story - Overstayer

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

bathanza

Successful FLR FP Partner Premium Story - Overstayer

Post by bathanza » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:42 pm

Dear members and admins.

Firstly, my journey has been a total 2 years where I have learned more about the UKVI immigration rules than I have ever done so in my life. This board has been incredibly useful with tips, with stories and the advice given to members. A big thanks to the admins and moderators.

I will try to provide as much detail as possible to help advise people on applications and from what I learned. Warning, this is a long post!!

History
My husband was an overstayer for 11.3 years, this was his 4th application after 3 rejections spanning 10 years. He had overstayed a visit visa due to circumstances out of his control.

August 2016 Application
I had met him approximately 3 years ago (at present writing) and we just fell head over heels in love. I knew, simply, he was the one. He confessed he did not have a valid visa. After a quick search and a few phonecalls, I needed some legal advice. I was willing to do what I needed to help regularise his stay.

Had a phonecall with a solicitor 2 years and 2 months ago, my first question was "should he just leave the UK and I can sponsor him over if we got married, as that was the inevitable journey in our relationship"

I was told no, he will get banned - That was the first of the really bad advice that we were given that leads us to a 2 year journey. He SHOULD have returned to his home country and simply come back, to avoid this whole mess.

As we were living together for 6 months, we were told we had better chances to submit a FLR FP Partner route, get married legally and vary the application - WRONG advice. We didn't even fulfil the criteria of 2 year co-habitation and the application submitted in Aug 16 was never considered as a partner application whatsoever.

Anyway, we sent what we could, cohabitation documents for 6 months, approximately 300pgs of whatsapp messages, holiday bookings and witness statements and about 300 pictures.

I left a lot of matters with the solicitor and trusted we would simply be refused in 6 months which we could just vary in a new application..

We got married in Feb 2017 (beautiful intimate wedding), submitted our certificate and waited an ENTRIE year later for a refusal. After an 18 month wait (and in between, I had chased the solicitor, no letters responded by the HO. I lobbied my MP, who assured me the HO were doing what they could to make a decision 16 months in. I wrote to the Home Affairs Committee as it just felt wrong).

The Refusal - Feb 2018 18 months later
The Home Office detailed in a 5 page refusal letter as a "further submissions" in Feb 2018 this year.

The refusal was quite clear, he had no basis of stay despite them acknowledging our relationship and what was most upsetting, I had no way to reply to their refusal.

Firstly, they misunderstood whatsapp messages for emails, and said we had met online and could simply continue a relationship aboard. I had mentioned common ground as for our relatives being bought up in the same region in his home country, so was misunderstood to say I could easily integrate, despite not visiting the country for 10 years and travelling the whole world!

His absconding was deemed as a bad character, depsite requesting the then IS96 five times with the solicitor.

I was ready to counter the refusal with a new application as we WERE legally married, living together for 2 years and had more proof, it was a tick box exercise for me and go for a premium appointment or just let him leave and I can sponsor him on a spousal visa.

However, the solicitor was SO sure that we had to combat this refusal via a JR as there was an error of law.. so the time it would take for either spousal visa abroad, he can stay here, win the JR, claim our money back and go via appeal. So we thought, why not. WRONG MOVE.

The Home Office responded, very rightly with a defence with detailed accounts of his previous refusals, absoconding, his relatives in his home country. It was awful to read.

Whilst waiting for a decision on papers, I consulted a local solicitor who had been recommended. I gave no background and provided what we had got and how we applied. She was not happy with the number of holes in the application and advised that if the judge refused on papers we should prepare for an application. Watiing for the baby wasn't the right thing to do as we had exceptional circumstances.

I was armed with the correct information and answers which the solicitor verified. In addition, I had a change of circumstances and was 6 months pregnant.

My previous solicitor was keen to "waste time" for a JR refusal then submit a new application FLR when the baby was born.

Something that hit home which the new solicitor said was the following: What is it that is preventing him from returning to his home country that would either be incredibly exceptional or cause me hardship knowing he COULD just return via entry clearance.

It wasn't just pregnancy, it was also my long-term, incurable chronic health condition that WILL deteriorate over time. This was something that was ignored by my previous solictor as it was felt it was an "excuse" for him to stay. To be very honest, it ISN'T.

Refusal on papers
The JR was refused on papers, we decided to settle the matter and I switched representation.

I chased the litigation debt myself and got this paid off 2 weeks before the appointment.

Peparation
A1 exam booked (another ordeal and this was just a few minutes long as my husband is a true northern london lad with perfect english, the problem was the results could not be released as NO ONE COULD verify his passport photo as himself!!! Got confirmation and the certificate a week later)

I requested a letter of support from my medical team which took 20 days to turn around.

Aug 2016 - FLR M Application
We had decided to submit an FLR M application as the new solicitor had been successful with overstayers submitting an FLR M and having them granted, 5 year or 10 year route.

I had several meetings to discuss what documents were needed and I had asked if there was a 1% chacne that we could get approval as a Premium Service Application, she said yes. For us, a £600 cost that could either be refused, accepted as a 5 year route, 10 year route or given a "sorry, we cannot decide on this matter, we'll let you know" was worth it.

Cover Letter[
/i]
The cover letter was most important in this application. We used it to address the refusal from this year and backed up with evidence, such as absconding and the previous solicitor not updating the Home Office. Bank Statements and expenses explained.

An explaination on WHY the applicant overstayed. An explaination as to WHY it would breach his human rights if he were to be refused.

We had requested the application was looked at as a 10 year partner route OR a 5 year route. The FLRM was submitted to showcase it would be the same application which would be submitted if he left.

Documents

Applicant National ID card.
Sponsor passport
12 months payslip (I had a payrise 6 months ago so I wanted to ensure that it was given), stamped and certfied within 28 days.
12 months bank statements, stamped by the bank, highlighting salary being deposited and sticky notes on any expenses paid.
A1 SELT certificate
Marriage certificate.
Sponsor Witness statement - Which I used to clear up matters such as my travel history for the past 10 years (never visited his home country), my medical problems, my relationship etc.

Cohabitation - 2 years of council tax, electricity, home insurance. Individual letters such as opticians for applicant.

Exceptional circumstances documents

Maternity notes, urgent care referrals.
Medical history with immune problem history, a letter of support from the consultant explaining the nature of the disease.
Appointments, MRI scans etc.

Additional documents

Copy of previous passport visa, litigation debt paid, IS96 copy and emails proving we had requested a new IS96 Aug - Dec 2016.
Wedding pictures, invitations etc.

FLR M Premium Service Appointment
After an 8 week effort compiling the application, working with the solicitor we had our appointment at 12pm Wednesday 29th Aug 2019. With our hearts in our mouths and every single statement was written backed with the correct evidence. We left NO stone unturned. A massive ring binder, sticky notes and a partial copy of the documents were taken.

We registered the application and encountered the first problem when providing his National ID card. I simply didn't want to give his passport in case of refusal and then it would be retained.

The lady at the desk was very stern and kept asking for the passport, despite me explaining the ID card was still acceptable and the application was filled out on this basis. It wasn't a problem to supply it, as we had it with us.

We were given our number and were told to sit and be called out for the case to be uploaded to the HO database. When called, we were told to take originals out and place it in another folder, so for anyone reading, there is no point in having individual wallets for documentation, they will not take it.

They expect a COPY of originals too, which I had a partial copy as I had no guidance and simply, didn't want to waste time and money if they didn't need double sided utility bills!

They DID NOT want our photos, it was not relevant to our application. In addition, NO chat messages were printed, it is not required if you're a couple living together (a stark difference from the original application!)

The guy at the desk was incredibly jovial, helpful and allowed me to amend the application then and there to add my husbands passport details and crossed out the ID card in the application.

We were done and dusted with the biometrics by 1.45pm and were told we could go back and come back approximately 4/4.30pm. The centre was open until 8pm so we went, had a bite to eat, and returned at 4.30pm. The waiting room looks as if we are in an airport (but no flight to catch!)

Number by number, we watched dozens and dozens of cases being called, whilst our number was still on the board stating it was awaiting consideration..

Time flew by... 6, 7, 8pm.. we are looking at 7 hour wait. The building had shut down, people left, we were sitting with just another chap with his small daughter running around. At 9pm, we were called to the front of the office where the case workers sat. The chaps number was called and we remained seated.

We waited so patiently and thought it was just God's plan. Also, it was an out of body experience as I thought what a story for us to tell our kids one day, we were sitting in the Home Office ALL ALONE with 4 security guards.

9.45pm our number was called. The case worker apologised for the wait and explained: "we are waiting for a reply and the guy has gone home without telling us, so, we cannot make a decision today". After an 8 hour wait, they were waiting on an email reply.

My heart sank. Utterly devastated. However, he said, he will call us tomorrow with the decision by 11am. I had asked for my maternity notes, as I had an appointment on Friday. He walked away, then returned empty handed and said they needed it for enquires. We asked for his name, and he refused to give it and said I could simply just come tomorrow and get my notes and if the case was decided the documents.

I thought dear God, I have to come back again JUST to get my notes. Hungry, tired, emotional, we left home with a piece of paper with the further enquires acknowledgement letter.

The next day
I went to work and time slowed down, 10, 11, 12, no news. I messaged my husband at 12 to ask if he had heard anything, nothing.

Two minutes later, he called me to say "don't go crazy, but I got a call from the case worker, we can collect the documents"

i said okay.. and.. he said,

"I asked him.. okay, so my wife will come get them.. so what's happened, is it decided?"

"Yes, it's approved".

I cried my heart out at work. I left for Croydon (which was a mere 30 min travel away from me), went to the PSC and the security guards remembered me from the night. I went straight to the collection desk, which the case worker had come and gave me the documents and the letter of granting leave as a partner, 10 year route. It was a simple 2 page letter, firstly to address his application history, how we do not meet the requirements for the FLR M 5 year route due to his overstay however, due to exceptional circumstances raised it was deemed it would breach his Article 8 if refused. I told him I was upset as he KNOWS that I'm pregnant with an immune problem and it was very stressful. No matter though..

After a 2 year journey, it had ended in one day. We are in shock, not being able to process that were found success in the Premium service.

My lessons learned are as follows

- Marriage to a British partner does NOT mean a successful application, one needs to address this AS well as exceptional circumstances.

- If you are an overstayer and have a spouse who meets the eligibility for an entry clearance, leave and apply from aboard. JUST DO IT. 3/4 months later you will return. Just make sure cover letters explaining WHY you overstayed and how you overstayed are addressed.

We didn't have the opportunity as I did get pregnant and it would have been very difficult for me to manage alone without him.

- Back your personal statements/cover letter WITH evidence. Do not get emotional or write a love story. Deal with facts and provide evidence BACKING your statement.

- Be careful with what you write, think carefully if it MAY be misinterpreted.

- Pictures, whatsapp, Fb messages, skype are not needed for in-country applications if you're living together. It's a waste of paper and money.

- Do your own research. Read the appendix FM and understand how rules work. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... ly-members. Research what people have gone through on this board, ask questions.

- Choose your representation wisely. I had turned into my husband's frustration when I went to my current solicitor. I didn't want to rush into a new application knowing we had WAITED 18 months for a refusal. I was ready for a new application but wasted £3.5k on the damn JR for no reason. If your represenation focuses on money rather than the applicant, just walk away.

A cool £9k spent in the last 2 years to get the result we needed. We are over the moon and so happy with what we have achieved. I prepared 80% of the application and the solicitor did a stellar job with preparing the pack and the cover letter. I could not have done it without her!

We will decide to switch to the 5-year route once we get the BRP and calm down a bit. The case worker said just re-submit everything and it'll get approved no issues.

Even though the application has been approved, I stay true to my goal to campaign for a fairer immigration system. I am active on twitter and keep an eye on the change of rules and read the boards on a daily basis.

That's it for now. If anyone has any questions, do let me know. Will do my best to help. Thanks for reading :D

Husband's timeline - overstayer 11 yrs
08/16 - FLR (FP) Partner, refused 02/18, 03/18 - JR permission refused with merit
08/18 - FLR FP (Partner) PSC - Approved
07/20 - FLR FP to FLR M Switch - Approved, 03/23 FLR M Ext Approved.

malik0543

Re: Successful FLR FP Partner Premium Story - Overstayer

Post by malik0543 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:00 pm

Hi

Congratulation on your Partner Visa

just wondering did you finally submit applicant passport with application or they accepted ID card ? did caseworker asked you to submit passport ?

also when did you booked appointment only , did they asked for passport details ?

Helpseeker11
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by Helpseeker11 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:44 pm

Hi

Congratulations bathanza

I read your whole story just wondering does overstayers go for premium service?

Can I please know the solicitor firm who advice you to go for premium service

bathanza

Post by bathanza » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:44 am

malik0543 wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:00 pm
Hi

Congratulation on your Partner Visa

just wondering did you finally submit applicant passport with application or they accepted ID card ? did caseworker asked you to submit passport ?

also when did you booked appointment only , did they asked for passport details ?
Thanks ;) yes we did submit the application. IHS requires a valid passport..caseworker was OK with ID but said we must take the passport. Glad we did.

The passport detail is requested in the first contact page.

08/16 - FLR (FP) Partner, refused 02/18, 03/18 - JR permission refused with merit

bathanza

Post by bathanza » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:46 am

Helpseeker11 wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:44 pm
Hi

Congratulations bathanza

I read your whole story just wondering does overstayers go for premium service?

Can I please know the solicitor firm who advice you to go for premium service
Hello dear. I can't give details due to board rules.

But yes, from what my solicitor says and what circumstances are, overstayers can do premium. My husband had horrible refusal, complicated PAP refusal and defence from HO. We got partner in a pretty straight forward way and WAS an overstayer. Depends on case

Helpseeker11
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by Helpseeker11 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:11 pm

Thanks dear

I need advice what i suppose to do now, my case history is this:

02 May 2016: my valid leave as dependent partner of tier 1 general sponsor ( my husband) expired
03 May 2016: my husband applied for his ilr on tier 1 general 5 years basis and mine as his dependent spouse
13 February 2017 : both applications was refused as HO had doubt that my husband income is not genuine and mine because they refused main applicant application
27 February 2017: My husband went for ilr on long residency 10 years basis but HO hold the decision for further checks. On the same date i applied for administrative review on my refused previous application as we were told by solicitor that you can’t apply for dependent on the same time in ilr application premium service
28 march 2017: I received administrative review decision and HO maintain the decision of refusing application and inform me to leave the country in 3 months time or if i think i have a reason to stay then apply within 14 calendar days which I did
10 April 2017: my solicitor applied for Flr fp partner route application for me
29 April 2017: My husband received his Ilr BRP card from HO on 10 year long residency basis and next day we sent it to HO in support of my application
10 May 2017: I received IS96 letter to report every month at backet house which I did
September 2017: I got pregnant and i informed this to becket house staff and ask to i suppose to inform to case worker and the lady told me ‘ No ; I was assuming that they updated the system and caseworker know this that I am pregnant
05 March 2018: HO refused my application because I am overstayer and there are no insurmountable obstacles to go back to my country and apply new application. This time i was almost 6 months pregnant
15 March 2018: my solicitor filed PAP to reconsider the decision and informed that I am pregnant
25 April 2018: HO responded and said our decision is right and I suppose to file new application on pregnancy basis but my solicitor told us to file JR as our case is not very strong until baby arrives.

I was not very satisfied with my solicitor and there fees for JR was too much which we can’t afford so i applied JR by myself. They main grounds are how HO is considered me overstayer as i applied my Flr fp application in 14 days given time by HO

02 May 2018: my JR claim was accepted in Upper tribunal

30 May 2018: HO submit there grounds

From that till now I am waiting for any response from UT whenever I called them they said your case is in the waiting list. I gave birth to my daughter on 04 July 2018 now she is almost 2 months. We are confused what to do now do we have to wait for response of UT or do we apply for new application? And i apply new through premium service?

Please help bathanza

bathanza

Post by bathanza » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:55 pm

Wait for the UT to respond. Has the judge made a decision on papers?

If the judge refuses this he will give reasoning. Work with the solicitor to find out if your case is strong.

The thing is that if you do go ahead with JR it's basically giving you the right to appeal. If you're given the right you'll still have to wait more time via the appeal process. A new application may be faster.

Is your child registered as British? This would be your basis as it would be unreasonable for the HO to separate you from the child.

The thing is you'll need to focus on WHY you have exceptional circumstances which prevents you from leaving with your child to gain an Entry Clearance if you apply via a spouse. What will give you or your spouse hardship. Can you look after your child? Are you the main carer whilst your husband works? Does your husband meet the eligibility?

FLR FP would be your route as you're an overstayer (suspect right)

Helpseeker11
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by Helpseeker11 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:16 pm

Thanks bathanza

No judge haven’t give decision on paper yet

Yup my daughter is british

If i want to apply new application can i go for premium service?

Basically i don’t understand ‘ Flr M with consideration t Flr fp 10 year or 5 year route’ which you mention in your partners application cover letter, can i do the same?
I just want the visa as quick as possible

Helpseeker11
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by Helpseeker11 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:24 pm

My husband works 56 hours a week so I am the main carer of the child

Yup we meets all the eligibility requirements of Flr M, is except HO considering me overstayer but according to paragraph 39E of immigration rules 14 days overstay period is exempt, this is my main ground in JR as HO refused my application on overstayer basis and i am fighting how they are considering me an overstayer.

bathanza

Post by bathanza » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:54 pm

Helpseeker11 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:16 pm
Thanks bathanza

No judge haven’t give decision on paper yet

Yup my daughter is british

If i want to apply new application can i go for premium service?

Basically i don’t understand ‘ Flr M with consideration t Flr fp 10 year or 5 year route’ which you mention in your partners application cover letter, can i do the same?
I just want the visa as quick as possible
Good. Wait for the judge to make decision on papers..IF the judge agrees with defence and says you have no case settle it.

Instead of filling FLR FP. We filled out FLR M.

FLR M is only for legal people BUT we made a case of just like marriage and ticked all the boxes. We asked the case worker to consider the application under 10 year route or 5 year route. If you have your passport. Go for it. Take your time to write a good cover letter and research on UKVI law regards to British children and non EEA migrants. If you have your passport go for it, it's 600 to have a chance for same day or just wait for a decision.

Also put a new post so that others can advise you ok

Helpseeker11
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by Helpseeker11 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:05 pm

Alright thanks alot for your help dear

Amelia4784
Newly Registered
Mexico

Post by Amelia4784 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:42 pm

Dear bathanza 🤗🤗
I ammm so glad to read your successful story, I kept coming back to this site to follow your story and fills me with so much joy. You are pregnant wow please look after yourself it’s not good for your illness to be stressed everything is sorted now. My husband is fine and In peace at last, we are going to Mexico 🇲🇽 this Christmas 🎄 we’re so excited 😆. I wish you many many many years of happiness and relapses free from my heart, the best for you, your partner and your baby.

To everyone else yes the best advice is if you fill the requirements go back home and apply form there, I know there might be cases in which it will be not possible but I do know now that solicitors tend to tell you to apply from here and many times is faster and stress free to go back home and do it from there.

TanJL

Post by TanJL » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:25 pm

Congratulations!

bathanza

Post by bathanza » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:15 pm

Amelia4784 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:42 pm
Dear bathanza 🤗🤗
I ammm so glad to read your successful story, I kept coming back to this site to follow your story and fills me with so much joy. You are pregnant wow please look after yourself it’s not good for your illness to be stressed everything is sorted now. My husband is fine and In peace at last, we are going to Mexico 🇲🇽 this Christmas 🎄 we’re so excited 😆. I wish you many many many years of happiness and relapses free from my heart, the best for you, your partner and your baby.

To everyone else yes the best advice is if you fill the requirements go back home and apply form there, I know there might be cases in which it will be not possible but I do know now that solicitors tend to tell you to apply from here and many times is faster and stress free to go back home and do it from there.
Thank you so much! I wanted to PM you but you haven't got the post count to get that

The FLR has been issued based on the condition. Not the baby. Not the pregnancy. It damn worked out! So glad that you're going to Mexico. Best present ever right? Hands are untied so time to just be at peace. The change in my mind and body is unreal. So much more positive now. Thanks again and for your tips too. Let your hubby know I said hi :) RMMS since 2010 and doing alright. Thank God

Nightman22
Newly Registered

Post by Nightman22 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:34 pm

Congratulations. I am very happy for you.

Thank you for the encouragement and advice.

bathanza

Post by bathanza » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:47 pm

Nightman22 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:34 pm
Congratulations. I am very happy for you.

Thank you for the encouragement and advice.
You're welcome. God bless

ukvisa123

Post by ukvisa123 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:10 pm

Congratulations and I am glad that you were able to sort it.

I have question. How long did it take for HO to issue an invoice for the litigation costs?

bathanza

Post by bathanza » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:16 pm

ukvisa123 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:10 pm
Congratulations and I am glad that you were able to sort it.

I have question. How long did it take for HO to issue an invoice for the litigation costs?
As we needed to get this debt paid before the appointment, i researched the guidance.

Called the accounts department myself and it was issued as soon as I got off the phone..My old solicitor said "oh wait until the HO raise an invoice"

It's KNOWN further applications can be refused if there is outstanding costs pending. I took NO chance in sorting this out.

Simply provide the JR reference. The outstanding debt and email as urgent and matter of urgency to:

lftrecoveries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

They will provide a telephone number for you to make payment and ask for an invoice to be sent to you with the payment receipt. Do NOT rely on anyone to do this but yourself.

Londoner007
Diamond Member

Post by Londoner007 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:03 am

Very helpful and detailed post, was a good read - congrats
Verily, After Hardship Comes Ease

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:35 am

Locking this topic now to avoid it becoming another long running FLR(FP) on like the other we have.

I will make this topic a sticky post for ease of finding it.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.