ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UKM application experience and timeline

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rowanj
Newly Registered
South Africa

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by rowanj » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:13 am

Quinnie wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:44 am
rowanj wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:11 am
Hi, we are also trying to apply using the Romein case. Perhaps we can compare our situation to see if we are in a similar one?
That would be a great help!
  • I'm born 1981 in SA.
    I was born in wedlock, as were both my parents and grandparents (not sure if that is relevant).
    My dad is South African with no ties to the UK.
    My mom was born in 1952 in SA - she has a British Passport that says she is a citizen.
    Both her parents were born in the UK in the 1920's.
    I have vault copies of everyone's birth certificates and marriage certificates

I am assuming that my mother got her citizenship through descent and not registration (my mom doesn't know either). All I know is that she travelled on my grandmothers passport as minor, and only obtained her first passport when she was in her late 30's.
I was born in 1974 in SA
Parents married when born as were my grandparents at time of mothers birth.
My dad also has no ties to UK and born in SA
My mom was born in 1943 in SA but does not have a British passport. I understand that she would automatically be a British citizen by descent.
Mothers parents were born in UK in 1914 and 1915.
I am currently arranging my vault BC and applied for my grandfathers one in Scotland.

My only question right now is what citizenship do I put for my mother on the online UKM application form. It asks the following:
Country of Nationality:
Have the always had the same nationality?
If you select No to the above question, it then asks:
What was their nationality at the time of your birth or adoption?

I am not sure where and if I need to indicate British Nationality as my mother has never had a UK passport nor registered for British Nationality. What would we fill in for the above questions?

KZ303
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by KZ303 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:33 pm

a_powers wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:19 pm
UKVI goes at their own pace. Sometimes you just need to wait on them.

At least you can do biometrics in the US now. People had to go to Canada and Mexico 2 years ago. Then they got a US system in place.
I'll update my status in the next few days, but the above sounds crazy! They had me send them my passport, how would someone have gone to Mexico or Canada when you need a passport to get there?! Seems Kafka-esque but thankfully in the past and academic at this point.

orojim

Post by orojim » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:38 pm

sunburn wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:42 am
UKM applicants in the US - how or where did you get the passport sized photos in UK dimensions ?
Call some photographers who do passport photos in your area and see if they can do them to UK specs. I had no difficulty because I was in Los Angeles when I needed mine. In a big city, photographers likely know the requirements of many countries. The photos he made for me sailed through the registration process and HM Passport Office.

KZ303
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by KZ303 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:23 pm

orojim wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:38 pm
sunburn wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:42 am
UKM applicants in the US - how or where did you get the passport sized photos in UK dimensions ?
Call some photographers who do passport photos in your area and see if they can do them to UK specs. I had no difficulty because I was in Los Angeles when I needed mine. In a big city, photographers likely know the requirements of many countries. The photos he made for me sailed through the registration process and HM Passport Office.
I'm in Colorado. Went to the closest Walgreens. I just told them "passport" size, didn't specify dimensions. I haven't been told whatever I sent wasn't acceptable, just about to schedule my biometrics, so at least passed their laugh test either way!

expertcitizen
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by expertcitizen » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:24 am

rowanj wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:13 am
Quinnie wrote:
rowanj wrote:
Hi, we are also trying to apply using the Romein case. Perhaps we can compare our situation to see if we are in a similar one?
  • I'm born 1981 in SA.
    I was born in wedlock, as were both my parents and grandparents (not sure if that is relevant).
    My mom was born in 1952 in SA - she has a British Passport that says she is a citizen.

I am assuming that my mother got her citizenship through descent and not registration (my mom doesn't know either). All I know is that she travelled on my grandmothers passport as minor, and only obtained her first passport when she was in her late 30's.
I was born in 1974 in SA
My mom was born in 1943 in SA but does not have a British passport. I understand that she would automatically be a British citizen by descent.
I am currently arranging my vault BC and applied for my grandfathers one in Scotland.

My only question right now is what citizenship do I put for my mother on the online UKM application form. It asks the following:
Country of Nationality:

I am not sure where and if I need to indicate British Nationality as my mother has never had a UK passport nor registered for British Nationality. What would we fill in for the above questions?
Correct Your Mother was a British Citizen by descent at birth. You must say she is a British Citizen and in your covering letter mention that she never applied for a British passport. But she is certainly a British Citizen as her father was born in the UK. You will need to demonstrate her root too citizenship and your root to her, so her fathers birth certificate, marriage certificate, her unabridged birth certificate, marriage certificate and your unabridged birth certificate.

expertcitizen
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by expertcitizen » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:26 am

Quinnie wrote:
rowanj wrote:
  • I'm born 1981 in SA.

Yes correct your mother obtained her citizenship by descent (Father born in the UK) she was born in South Africa.

rowanj
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by rowanj » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:28 am

expertcitizen wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:24 am
rowanj wrote:
Quinnie wrote:
rowanj wrote:
  • I'm born 1981 in SA.

I was born in 1974 in SA

Country of Nationality:

Correct Your Mother was a British Citizen by descent at birth. You must say she is a British Citizen and in your covering letter mention that she never applied for a British passport. But she is certainly a British Citizen as her father was born in the UK. You will need to demonstrate her root too citizenship and your root to her, so her fathers birth certificate, marriage certificate, her unabridged birth certificate, marriage certificate and your unabridged birth certificate.
The online UKM forms ask the following regarding my mother:
Country of Birth: South Africa
Country of Nationality: Do i enter SA or UK here
Have they always has the same nationality? If you select "No" then it requests the following:
What was their nationality at the time of your birth or adoption? Do I enter SA or UK here

expertcitizen
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by expertcitizen » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:03 am

rowanj wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:28 am
expertcitizen wrote:
rowanj wrote:
Quinnie wrote:

• I'm born 1981 in SA.

I was born in 1974 in SA

Country of Nationality:

Have they always has the same nationality? If you select "No" then it requests the following:
What was their nationality at the time of your birth or adoption? Do I enter SA or UK here
No you enter UK as the country of her Nationality because she obtained her British Citizenship at her birth if it then asks if she has another citizenship then you say yes and the pertinent question this is what citizenship did she hold at YOUR birth and the answer is still UK citizen.

rowanj
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by rowanj » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:36 pm

expertcitizen wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:03 am
rowanj wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:28 am
expertcitizen wrote:
rowanj wrote:

I was born in 1974 in SA

Country of Nationality:

No you enter UK as the country of her Nationality because she obtained her British Citizenship at her birth if it then asks if she has another citizenship then you say yes and the pertinent question this is what citizenship did she hold at YOUR birth and the answer is still UK citizen.
So I don't mention that she is also a South African citizen?

expertcitizen
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by expertcitizen » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:27 pm

It is immaterial that she is. The UK allow multiple citizenship's and they want to check if she was a Citizen at birth (to determine if she was by descent or not) and then even though she took out another citizenship she had not renounced her citizenship when you where born. The online form probably does not ask what other citizenship's as it is immaterial but I stand to be corrected.If you had said she did not hold UK citizenship at your birth it would be a problem.

AngelaHawkes
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by AngelaHawkes » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:18 am

Hello,

For people who have had their UKM applications approved - did you receive your invitation for the citizenship ceremony via email or by post? Did it come from the consulate itself or from another agency?

About how long after your original acceptance letter did you get the invite for the ceremony?

Thank you!

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:30 am

Thanks for the responses about photos! I asked about it because it seems not quite straightforward to obtain the UK size, and various people indicate they either sent US passport size photos , or just cut them to 35x45 . On my part I did the last mentioned , since the untouched Costco photos in 35x45 didn’t come without shadows around my ears and neck.

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:45 pm

Update!

Eligibility criteria: UKM
Nationality: United States
Applying from: Unites States
Method of application: (Postal) USPS/ParcelForce
Date of application: 09/06/2018
Payment method: Credit card
Date of receipt by UKBA: 25/06/2018
Date money gone off account: 13/07/2018
Date of acknowledgement: 28/06/2018 (email)
Date of biometric appt. invitation: 22/08/2018 (email)
Date biometrics appt confirmation: 24/08/2018 (email)
Biometrics done: 06/09/2018 At USCIS Anchorage, AK.
Date of approval:
Date of ceremony:
Date applied for passports:
Date passports received:

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:06 pm

The UKM guide indicates a postal address of
Department 1
UKVI
The Capital
New Hall Place
Liverpool
L3 9PP

However this doesn't show up as a FedEx delivery address. Did anyone have trouble specifying this for your packages ?

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:07 am

sunburn wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:06 pm
The UKM guide indicates a postal address of
Department 1
UKVI
The Capital
New Hall Place
Liverpool
L3 9PP

However this doesn't show up as a FedEx delivery address. Did anyone have trouble specifying this for your packages ?
I did when sending it through USPS. The couldn't find that Postal Code. They shipped it with just L3. I’m not sure where it ended up, but Parcelforce showed it out for delivery two different times.

It did make it to UKVI in the end.

KZ303
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by KZ303 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:53 am

luthersnowak wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:45 pm
Update!

Method of application: (Postal) USPS/ParcelForce
Date of application: 09/06/2018
Date of receipt by UKBA: 25/06/2018
Date money gone off account: 13/07/2018
Date of acknowledgement: 28/06/2018 (email)
Date of biometric appt. invitation: 22/08/2018 (email)
Date biometrics appt confirmation: 24/08/2018 (email)
Biometrics done: 06/09/2018 At USCIS Anchorage, AK.
Date of approval:
Date of ceremony:
Date applied for passports:
Date passports received:
Congrats on your progress!

Earlier this week I got an email from UKVI telling me to contact the New York office so that they (NY Office) could schedule the biometrics. It told me to give them at least a week's notice. I immediately emailed New York with dates, DOB, preferred office, etc., but haven't heard back. Was your progress similar? I hesitate to bombard them with too many follow-up emails, but I thought this part went pretty quickly.

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:55 am

luthersnowak wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:07 am
I did when sending it through USPS. The couldn't find that Postal Code. They shipped it with just L3. I’m not sure where it ended up, but Parcelforce showed it out for delivery two different times.

It did make it to UKVI in the end.
Ugh. That doesn't inspire a lot of confidence :) I have just applied online. I have a few days to figure out how to send everything to Liverpool. I figure I'll go with the place that lets me also obtain a return mailing label.

KZ303
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by KZ303 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:41 pm

OK, got a bit of an update.

Method of application: USPS to UK with return UPS envelope/label. (To assist in tracking the docs' return.)
Date of application: July 25, 2018
Date of receipt by UKVI: July 31, 2018
Date money gone off account: Sept. 4, 2018
Date of UKVI acknowledgement email: Aug 4, 2018
Date of UKBA acknowledgement email: Aug 7, 2018 (Got two emails, one from UKVI, the other from UKBA, not sure why.)
Date of emailed letter requesting biometrics: Sept. 7, 2018 (Dates/location proposed to Home Office by me Sept. 4, 2018)
Biometrics done: Sept. 19, 2018 (Scheduled.)
Date of approval: PENDING
Date of ceremony: PENDING
Date applied for passports: PENDING
Date passports received: PENDING

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:54 pm

Starting off mine:

Eligibility criteria: UKM (Mother born in UK, not Romein route)
Method of application: Online. Document posting TBD
Date of application: Sept 6, 2018
Date of receipt by UKVI: Sept 6, 2018 (online)
Date money gone off account: Sept 6, 2018 (online)
Date of UKVI acknowledgement email: Sept 7, 2018
Date of UKBA acknowledgement email: ?
Date of emailed letter requesting biometrics: PENDING
Biometrics done: PENDING
Date of approval: PENDING
Date of ceremony: PENDING
Date applied for passports: PENDING
Date passports received: PENDING

ScotsYankee
Newly Registered

Post by ScotsYankee » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:39 pm

Quinnie wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:11 am
I am going to try apply based on the Romein case (double descent), without an agent. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I understand that I need the necessary birth and marriage certificates, I am just wondering whether I am expected to submit a motivation or cover letter citing the case or further explanation as to why I think I qualify?
Has anyone had a successful response while applying through the Romein route? Is a cover letter necessary? If so, what should it state exactly?

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:24 pm

ScotsYankee wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:39 pm
Quinnie wrote:
I am going to try apply based on the Romein case (double descent), without an agent. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I understand that I need the necessary birth and marriage certificates, I am just wondering whether I am expected to submit a motivation or cover letter citing the case or further explanation as to why I think I qualify?
Has anyone had a successful response while applying through the Romein route? Is a cover letter necessary? If so, what should it state exactly?
I read on xxxxxxx that some applications based on this ruling had been approved starting in August. I haven't seen anyone on here get approved under that ruling, but there are several people waiting for a decision.

Here is the Article:
Third party immigration advisor weblink removed by moderator

ScotsYankee
Newly Registered

Post by ScotsYankee » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:42 pm

The online application asks the following.

Ms (ScotsYankee Mother) nationality
How did Ms (ScotsYankee Mother) acquire their British nationality?
(Required)

Birth
Ancestry
Registration
Naturalisation
I do not know

As my Mother was born in the USA in 1960 to a British born UK citizen father, do I select "Ancestry" or "Birth"? Thanks!

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:50 pm

luthersnowak wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:24 pm
ScotsYankee wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:39 pm
Quinnie wrote:

I read on xxxxxxx that some applications based on this ruling had been approved starting in August. I haven't seen anyone on here get approved under that ruling, but there are several people waiting for a decision.

Here is the Article:
Third party immigration advisor weblink removed by moderator
I apologize.. I was attempting to link to the Article. Didn't realize it was hosted by an immigration firm.

expertcitizen
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by expertcitizen » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:06 am

ScotsYankee wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:42 pm

(Required)

Birth
Ancestry
Registration
Naturalisation
I do not know

As my Mother was born in the USA in 1960 to a British born UK citizen father, do I select "Ancestry" or "Birth"? Thanks!
She acquired it by Ancestry.

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:59 pm

expertcitizen wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:06 am
ScotsYankee wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:42 pm

(Required)

Birth
Ancestry
Registration
Naturalisation
I do not know

She acquired it by Ancestry.
On the paper application it doesn’t give you options to select. It only asks how the mother obtained UK citizenship. I left that box blank as she, nor I, were aware that she obtained it automatically. I’ve only recently discovered that. I am wondering now, based on the online form questions, if I should clarify this info to the UKVI. My documentation fully supports my claim, I’m just worried now as the UKVI position is that the burden is on the applicant to clearly prove their case.