ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Inviting girlfriend to visit

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

teekayemm
Newly Registered

Inviting girlfriend to visit

Post by teekayemm » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:49 pm

I have seen several threads about this but I haven't seen much about my particular circumstance so I'm hoping that someone can assist with this. Basically I have a girlfriend who lives in Argentina, who does not require a visa to visit UK. I'm sponsoring her visit fully, as she is unemployed. Unfortunately she also does not have a bank account (typical for Argentinians), and therefore cannot provide any documented proof of ability to support herself.

Online guidance is that she should have the requisite documents from her sponsor (me), but I don't know how this would go down with the IO, as there is zero guidance about how they would approach this situation. We are intending to book a trip for the maximum time, as it seems like it would be easier to shorten the trip, from a credibility perspective, than to make it longer. I am writing a full itinerary for the trip as well, including estimated costs, so she can show this to the IO. I also want to make it clear that we have no intention at all of breaking the visit limitations, as a large part of this trip is to see whether continuing the relationship in the UK would be viable long term, and if so, she would return to Argentina and we could pursue the fiance route (assuming that we're in that position)

So my questions at this point are:
1. Does 6 months make sense? I have read that its preferable to have a shorter visit. The point is that we have a long distance relationship, therefore my substantiation (in a letter) is that we would like to spend maximum time together, as it is costly to travel to UK in the long term. I feel that if we book a short trip, then change the return flight date to extend it, it will feel, next time she visits, as if we are intending to lie about the length.
2. Do I have to provide absolutely all documentation, and in original form? This would mean having to send bank statements and employment letter and passport copy by post to Argentina, not something I'm keen to do, but am willing to. I'd prefer copies, so I can send them to her digitally so that she can print them and prepare on her end, which would be considerably cheaper and faster.
3. The documentation I am therefore preparing includes: a) copy of passport, b) letter of invitation explaining relationship etc, c) itinerary for full duration of trip and associated estimated costs, d) my bank statements from past 3 months, e) a copy of my employment contract (as I'm currently between jobs, and start a new job after the intended travel date. Would that suffice, or would she need to provide more information?

teekayemm
Newly Registered

Re: Inviting girlfriend to visit

Post by teekayemm » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:22 am

Guess there's not much specificity in my case? I have seen threads regarding application for visas with similar circumstances, but in my case there is a visa waiver for the originating country, so the visitor faces risk at border control, not visa application.

Is there a high risk of being turned away at the immigration desk?

kmaxie18
Newly Registered
India

Post by kmaxie18 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:12 am

Have seen similar cases with a friend who tried to do the same for his Thai girlfriend.. also temporary factory work, no funds/assets to evidence... they had a tough time getting her over.

In general, ALL visitor visa applicant needs to show strong ties to their home country -- eg: employment to return to, evidence of assets (Bank acc, property documents etc - even if their trip is sponsored entirely by someone else)...

Since this is already a challenge to start with in your case & specially this is an "initial visit to a possible scope for future relationships" -- the Home Office tend to scrutinize such kind of "visitor visa" applications even more strongly, since it is always perceived to be more of a "risk".

Q1 -- Recommend sticking to the default 6 month visit visa.. Dont book any flights yet, unless you can cancel if need be.

Q2/3 -- Yes, i think it should be fine to send digitally over. I have done similar in the past... the UK authorities are in a position verify UK bank documents through internal channels if they choose to --

Q3 -- In order to strengthen the visitor visa application you should include a detailed cover letter from your end ...
Show evidence of your relationship -- things like joint photographs of you together from the past.. Details of how/when you met (assuming not just an internet girlfriend).. (there are a lot of fake cases of "internet relationships", where there is no hard-evidence of a relationship -- the Home Office tends to be extra vigilant in these instances)

Bank statements - since only YOU are providing financials, recommend a longer duration than only 3 months... over 6 months at least to show YOU are financially stable yourself and in a realistic position to sponsor her + your travel itinerary! -- 3 months only, in my opinion may not be sufficient enough to strengthen your case..
- If you need to include any other fixed deposit/ISA statements to show financial stability, its recommended to include.
+ 6 months Payslips to show regular (enough) earnings -- which should then be easy to corroborate in your bank statements you will also send.
+ Utility bills for address etc -- Council tax, Gas/Electric -- matching the address on your bank statements

Good luck.

teekayemm
Newly Registered

Post by teekayemm » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:17 pm

Thanks so much for your input, I've been travelling so haven't had time to respond until now. Your advice seems sound - I am also going to add travel insurance to the application, and that should be straightforward from a documentation perspective thereafter.

The only remaining point of concern for me is regarding the fact that she is coming from a non-visa requiring country (Argentina) therefore we will not be making a visa application at all. She will carry all the relevant documentation so that she can present it at the Immigration Officer's counter upon request (which I assume they certainly will request). This is the part I'm still not sure about wrt risk for someone being sponsored. I assume it will be ok as long as my provided details as the sponsor is strong, and the accompanying letter is clear, and my girlfriend corroborates everything as provided?

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:50 am

Hi,

I agree with everything kmaxie18 said. My Vietnamese GF was turned down for a visitor visa because we did not prove the ongoing relationship. The fact is we did by sending in tons of pictures of us together, obviously in different parts of the World and Vietnam, but they said because the pictures were not date stamped, they were not satisfied, even though I showed my passport visa stamps.

So, a couple of additions to the above. Screen print the pictures (and lots of them) of you two together, and include the date and location information (if you have an idiot-phone it's possible, not sure about other phones) so they can't deny your meetings.

Include, copies of all the visa stamps you have had when visiting her (assuming you have met her) and match them to the pictures. Also you could include ALL your chat history from Skype, Whatsapp etc to show you talk all the time. Best to go with too much, and not need it, than too little.

I also wrote a detailed letter explaining I would look after her and make sure she didn't outstay the visa, but they still turned her down, as despite having (and proviing) she has a good job, she has no other ties that would supposedly make her go back. And that is the key thing they want to see, a reason to go home.

But I am not sure why you think your GF will need this stuff if she doesn't need a visa to travel here? Show her passport and return ticket and that ought to be enough?

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:54 am

lol idiot-phone, not idiot!!

teekayemm
Newly Registered

Post by teekayemm » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:41 pm

THO wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:50 am
But I am not sure why you think your GF will need this stuff if she doesn't need a visa to travel here? Show her passport and return ticket and that ought to be enough?
I'm being highly risk averse here, I don't want to get into any potential situation where the IO questions her and has any cause for concern, so we are preparing all the documents that would otherwise be necessary, to the best of our abilities. The online guidance suggests that any visitor who doesn't need a visa should still bring the requisite documents.

I don't know anyone who's been in this situation so just de-risking by preparing for the full extent that might be exercised. With immigration in the spotlight, and Argentinian economy going through some hiccups at the moment, I don't want to chance it.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:46 pm

Without evidence of her own financial circumstances and her unemployment, she risks being refused entry.

What evidence if strong ties to home country will she provide?? It is less about your documents and more about her circumstances.

6 months is a long visit and may cast doubt on her intentions to leave.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

teekayemm
Newly Registered

Post by teekayemm » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:58 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:46 pm
Without evidence of her own financial circumstances and her unemployment, she risks being refused entry.

What evidence if strong ties to home country will she provide?? It is less about your documents and more about her circumstances.

6 months is a long visit and may cast doubt on her intentions to leave.
I'm providing my bank statements and a detailed letter including an itinerary. She will also arrange travel insurance. I'm not sure what else she can provide to provide evidence of her intention to return home - at the moment she is taking care of her aged parents and living with them, and the intended view is that she will not remain as she will want to return to take care of them. To support that we are also looking to limit the trip to 2 months.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:15 pm

She might be asked who will be caring for her parents while she is away. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

teekayemm
Newly Registered

Post by teekayemm » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:20 pm

Casa wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:15 pm
Oh, her brother lives with them too, but he has a business under the home, so he is in arm's reach, just not available full time. Would it help to get a letter from her parents or brother? (although: they don't speak english, only spanish).

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:49 pm

teekayemm wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:20 pm
Casa wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:15 pm
Oh, her brother lives with them too, but he has a business under the home, so he is in arm's reach, just not available full time. Would it help to get a letter from her parents or brother? (although: they don't speak english, only spanish).
Yes, but have the letters translated into English.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

teekayemm
Newly Registered

Post by teekayemm » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:17 pm

Casa wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:49 pm
Yes, but have the letters translated into English.
Gotcha, thanks for your help. I'll dig around for some templates/examples and draft something for her brother.

Parsnip07
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Parsnip07 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:50 pm

How did your girlfriend get on at Immigration? My son is in the same situation with his Argentinian gf coming over with him to visit!

teekayemm
Newly Registered

Post by teekayemm » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:22 pm

Hi - sorry for the lack of followup but everything went fine in the end. We were a bit paranoid and over-prepared and at the immigration desk the officer asked the usual bunch of questions about the trip but had no trouble getting through at all. For reference, we prepared copies of:
1. 6 months bank statements
2. An invitation letter - both a real letter and the SU-07 sponsorship form you use for family/friend visits
3. Proof of employment letter from my employer showing my salary
4. An itinerary for the trip (basically a daily budget for sundries, and estimates for activities such as museum and sights visits)
5. My gf also wrote a letter of her own to explain that she had no intention to stay longer than the allowed time. This wasn't necessary but as her english isn't perfect, and she was worried that she would get nervous under pressure, it helped to earnestly explain her circumstances regarding unemployment and our relationship etc.

She handed the whole lot to the officer at the counter, and received the usual questions about intentions of the visit, profession, and employment status, and how she intended to support herself. From the way she told it, there didn't seem to be any problems though.

Also note that all those documents were copies and not originals, and none were notarised in any way, so they were really just provided as a means to exhibit that the trip was undertaken without any attempt to deceive, etc.

Parsnip07
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Parsnip07 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:55 pm

So glad all went well. That’s really helpful, thanks.