ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration?

Post by Michael123 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:06 pm

Thats odd. Ill assume by your name that you are in California. Im in Massachusetts and they made the irish size and trimmed them for me.

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:58 am

Michael123 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:06 pm
Thats odd.
You are correct, though while we may be the best known Pasadena because of our parade and bowl game, there are also Pasadena's in Texas and Maryland.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:05 pm

Its best known to me by the Beach boys.

PMartin44
Newly Registered

Post by PMartin44 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:41 pm

It looks like the UK photograph size will fit inside the Irish size requirements which is good. I also don't think I have read about anyone's application being rejected because of that but I could be wrong.

Now I just need to somehow find a witness which is proving very difficult, doctor, priest, solicitor won't sign and I don't have any other options.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:08 pm

PMartin44 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:41 pm
It looks like the UK photograph size will fit inside the Irish size requirements which is good. I also don't think I have read about anyone's application being rejected because of that but I could be wrong.

Now I just need to somehow find a witness which is proving very difficult, doctor, priest, solicitor won't sign and I don't have any other options.
Why won't solicitors in the UK sign this? It is part of many solicitor's daily job and easy money.

canada1005
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by canada1005 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:56 pm

My catholic priest who married me and my wife signed mine. :D

rob111111
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by rob111111 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:54 pm

Hey Everyone

As stated, thanks to the 38 pages of people who have contributed. I think I read every comment and found them all super useful, mostly for reassurance. Now is my turn.

My dates:
FBR application received by London: 5 March 2018
Additional documents requested directly from Dublin: 19 July 2018
Additional documents received in Dublin: 10 August 2018
Certificate Issued: 10 August 2018
Certificate and supporting docs returned (via London embassy): 28 August 2018

Pretty much 6 months to the date, as set out in the first email I received (saying it would take 6 months!).

A few observation points that may be helpful for others:
1. I was asked to provide 2 additional docs. From the date you receive the email, you have 28 days to get those documents back. Bear in mind, that processing times for the offices that provide you with certified copies can be a couple of weeks and then you also need to get those docs direct to Dublin. It took 9 days for my recorded delivery docs to reach Dublin from London (no idea what happened there!), so act quickly once you get that email. The guy who I was dealing with was super friendly and provided a direct email address, so it was easy to check they had everything and also monitor the tracking.
2. Additional doc 1: my parents' divorce certificate. This was not stipulated anywhere, however because my mother had the same name as my father on my birth certificate, yet I declared that they were not married and now have different surnames, they requested this. I still think this is bizarre because it does not affect my citizenship, but obviously I complied.
3. Additional doc 2: my grandparents' marriage certificate. I didn't provide (or order) this to begin with because I read that because my grandmother was widowed, the marriage was extinct and therefore I would argue that today they are not married and therefore it does not affect my citizenship. As you can see, this is not the case, so just provide it to make your life easier.
4. The witness to my father's documents was a GP who did not have a business card. As a follow up, they requested a direct email from her NHS email address to confirm she had witnessed the ID. Make your life easier by getting witnesses who have business cards.
5. As a courtesy, I provided my application in a paper sleeve with page dividers clearly guiding the reader. I found the guidance docs slightly 'haphazard', so I made a list of everything that had been referred to on the various bits of paper you have to print out, then set them out in alphabetical order with a cover note. This certainly made sure I had not missed anything (apart from my deliberate omission of (3)), but I imagine it also really helps out the person in the embassy. I recommend doing this.

So, FBR complete, now onto the passport application. Glad to be one up on brexit and able to maintain my job in the EU.

Good luck all.

Miminimi
Newly Registered
Kenya

Post by Miminimi » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:07 am

Hi there people,

My child is British Born and has her British passport, My partner is also British Born and has his British passport.

My partner and my child (age 3) want to apply for Irish Passport.

My question is please would we need to get FBR for both of them before applying?

Cheers

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:29 pm

One needs to be an Irish citizen to obtain an Irish passport. What is your citizenship status? Are you married to your partner?

Mak2386
United States of America

Post by Mak2386 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:27 pm

bluemoon2 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:17 pm
Mak2386 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:26 pm
Mak2386 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:13 pm
bluemoon2 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:26 pm

Here we go mate , when I replied you earlier I thought why haven,t you got your fbr sorted in 11 months even you applied through white Irish born grandparent as dfa really care about them and try to finish all process for them in 3/4 months , now you gave me the answer , you have non white Irish grandparents you applied through their link

there are many Donald trump style bureaucratics in Irish bureaucracy who don,t like us in Ireland , what a hypocrisy they have , pretending to fight for equality everywhere in all Irish departments and society , small people with big liar mouths .
you are absolutely right.... i think this is the reason... they are just checking documents more then 11 months. ( i am curious how long they will take)..... unfortunately, there is no escalation process
Hey Bluemoon....
did you get any feedback or update.
i have called them today and got same response.
No , I did not get any update sadly , planning to get them to court now to produce a decision, let’s see what my solicitor advise me when I see her in next few days as I am process of getting an appointment, what a pitty I need to go to court for a decision ? 18 months and no decision, what a disgrace thing .
Hello Blue Moon...
Any news.. i am still receiving same feedback- it is almost 1.6years for original document submission to London Embassy and 1 year to additional document submission direct to Dublin. ( unfortunately it is still under process)

bluemoon2

Post by bluemoon2 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:53 pm

@ Mak2386 , what can you expect friend from them when you are the victim of discrimination ? they are not processing our applications and just telling us we are processing , they are delaying our applications deliberately and just processing the applications of white people .

I am getting ready to fight with them in court , I will update if I go ahead and start proceeding against them , at the moment just waiting . I am touching 20th month .

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:22 am

Miminimi wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:07 am
My child is British Born and has her British passport, My partner is also British Born and has his British passport. My partner and my child (age 3) want to apply for Irish Passport.

My question is please would we need to get FBR for both of them before applying?
As was mentioned, you must be an Irish citizen to obtain an Irish passport. A British passport does not qualify anyone for Irish citizenship. A British citizen could become a citizen of the Republic if they were born in Northern Ireland. But they have that right because they were born in Northern Ireland - not because of British citizenship.

Regarding your partner:
If one of your partner's parents was born on the island of Ireland (Republic or Northern Ireland), they are automatically a citizen and can obtain an Irish passport. If one of your partner's grandparents was born on the Ireland, he can apply for Foreign Birth Registration, and apply for a passport after that has been approved. Otherwise your partner would need to apply to become a citizen through naturalisation. If you are in a recognised civil partnership, the process is shorter. He would only need to be resident in Ireland for three years instead of five.

Regarding your child:
Generally, if you were born on the island of Ireland, your child is automatically an Irish citizen, and can obtain a passport. If one of your parents was born on the island, your child can apply for Foreign Birth Registration, and apply for a passport after that application has been approved.

If you are an Irish citizen via naturalisation and you became a citizen before your child was born, your child can apply for Foreign Birth Registration, and then apply for a passport when citizenship has been granted. But if your child was born after you became a naturalised citizen, they would probably need to got through the naturalisation. They would likely have residency rights, if a minor. But that they could not obtain an Irish passport until becoming a citizen.

FBR essentially is a means for grandchildren of people born in Ireland to claim citizenship. It also can be used for children of naturalised citizens to do the same, as long as they were born after their parent naturalised.

Aizaz
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Aizaz » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:34 am

bluemoon2 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:53 pm
@ Mak2386 , what can you expect friend from them when you are the victim of discrimination ? they are not processing our applications and just telling us we are processing , they are delaying our applications deliberately and just processing the applications of white people .

I am getting ready to fight with them in court , I will update if I go ahead and start proceeding against them , at the moment just waiting . I am touching 20th month .
Hi can I get your email or phone no I am going though a same situation I applied though karachi would you mind give me email or phone it’s easy discuss some solution I got with the reference of Barrister

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:54 am

I had asked recently if sharing contact details would be permissible, the answer was no.

bluemoon2

Post by bluemoon2 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:00 pm

@ Aizaz , sharing of personal contact details are not allowed here , if we do that . moderator will delete them and will ban us , so best way to talk is through private message using this forum , I have sent you a private message .

bluemoon2

Post by bluemoon2 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:09 pm

Sorry Aizaz I am not able to send you private message as you are newly registered here so at the moment you are not able to send / receive private message .

So you can ask me here if you want to ask anything , you can also share here if you have any useful information for us .

When did you apply for fbr ?
what reply are you getting from them if you have passed the 6 months time frame window ?

Regards :

spiderplants

Post by spiderplants » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:49 pm

littlerr wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:08 pm
PMartin44 wrote:

Why won't solicitors in the UK sign this? It is part of many solicitor's daily job and easy money.
The witness (solicitor etc.) needs to know you personally. This is a sticking point for me as well.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:34 pm

spiderplants wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:49 pm
littlerr wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:08 pm
PMartin44 wrote:

The witness (solicitor etc.) needs to know you personally. This is a sticking point for me as well.
That's not correct. The requirement says that the witness needs to either know you, or know one of your friends who knows you. If you or any of your friend have ever visited a GP, that would meet the requirement. I'd say that most people go to doctors or solicitors.
I don't know whether there is a difference between UK and Ireland, but in Ireland most solicitors would be more than happy to say that they know you after a 5-minute chat with you - in 3 occurrences this year where I had to get a solicitor to witness my document, all were happy to do that with 50 euro and a decent coffee. I can't imagine if there is any major difference in the UK.

Aizaz
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Aizaz » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:23 am

bluemoon2 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:00 pm
@ Aizaz , sharing of personal contact details are not allowed here , if we do that . moderator will delete them and will ban us , so best way to talk is through private message using this forum , I have sent you a private message .
Yes bluenoon .. I agree with you as regard to sharing personal , but I have applied from Karachi over 10 months ago and rang few time said it will be done and dusted in May but nothing new same things saying we recevied application im
March I’m
Dublin and now it’s in the process ,,, however As I contacted with Solicister he said it’s been best for you to have DNA test from well recognized lab, may I know is your son currently based in Dublin or where ? but anyhow I have seen your previous post I totally understand your consequences being a father of child .... But plz be patient and don’t loose yr temper justice has to been done sooner or later ,,,, anyway would you like tell be is TD are helpful as regard to FBR So myself also should visit his office .. thanks blue moon

bluemoon2

Post by bluemoon2 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:13 am

@ Aizaz , you are in 10th month and I am in 20th month , its a long story of patience but I have run out of patience now .

My child lives in Pakistan with my wife .

I have absolutely no faith on guys in department of foreign affairs consular section that they are treating all citizens fairly regardless of their race and skin color , there are many donald trump style biased guys siting there otherwise there is absolutely no logic to take 20 months , if you process in 6 months , do it in 6 month , say YES or NO to applicant and game is over , ok you can take 3,4 months extra , but 20 months ? what a joke ? this only indicate deliberately delay because of discrimination .

Irish TDs are totally useless in these cases . 10000 percent , I know personally 2 TDs since last 10 years , I involved them and they got the exact same reply which I get from dfa when I contact them so I posted their letters back to them saying this reply is unaccepted as I already got these reply from dfa so what was the point of involving you ( I know it seem rude but I had to make them aware how seriously dfa take them )

Aizaz
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Aizaz » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:00 pm

Blue moon, I imgage your feeling being a Dad I am going though the same stage even you in 20 months I just have opinion but I could be wrong ... I am thinking to write a brief letter to minister and explain all the situation and you have a valid point 20 months , i am feeling stressed now as well 20 months , but what next do You find solution yet or what should we do ? Secondly I contacted Solister and then that Solister just took a advise from barisiter then he wassaying they can’t refused you until unless a strong valid reason but if so then if you have DNA test might prove yr child hardly if they refuse? Did you contact a Solister yet what Solister saying ?

Aizaz
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Aizaz » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:10 pm

You know any idea Should I write a letter bec phone saying same again and again .. one my fries got last yr fbr but dfa wants the recents visit before the birth entry or exit I mean 9 months before baby born then after after two sending all entry exit got cerrtife after 3 working days but now don’t know what’s next ?

bluemoon2

Post by bluemoon2 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:28 pm

@ Aizaz , as you said to write a letter to minister and explain him all story , I have already wrote minister a letter telling everything in details months ago but got same rely your application is being processed , these minister do not read the letter and they do not know anything about them , only their secretaries deal with them .

I am ready for DNA test or to show them entry / exit stamps on passport but those idiots did not ask for any thing to provide them.

I spoke with a solicitor and we are getting ready to bring them to court to force them for a decision.

Chris-topher
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Chris-topher » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:38 pm

Here is my timeline. I had read somewhere that all foreign birth registrations should now be sent directly to Dublin, though instructions vary a bit depending on where you look online. I don't think all of their web pages always say the same things.

My two photos were 2" x 2" for the FBR. I made sure to include both marriage certificates for my grandfather, both marriage certificates for my mother, original birth certificates for grandfather, mother, myself, and death certificates for grandfather and mother. Included witnessed copy of my passport photo page. Also included photocopies of all originals. The other requirement was 3 statements confirming my mailing address and I included photocopies of those too. I had the manager at my bank witness the application and after a short chat about myself, and the various accounts I've had with the bank for the past 15 years, he said he felt he knew me well enough to be my witness. He signed and notarized and taped a business card to the application.

May 11th, 2018 mailed application to Dublin
May 21st received confirmation that it was received
August 28th received email congratulating me that I was now an Irish citizen
Sept 10th received the FBR certificate in the mail
Sept 11th sent passport application to the regional consulate office. They said allow 6 to 8 weeks for passport.

I had the passport application mailed to me in advance and had 4 photos, 2" x 2", ready to go. Again had the bank manager witness the passport application. I'll update when that is received.

Congrats to all :)

Mak2386
United States of America

Post by Mak2386 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:25 pm

bluemoon2 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:28 pm
@ Aizaz , as you said to write a letter to minister and explain him all story , I have already wrote minister a letter telling everything in details months ago but got same rely your application is being processed , these minister do not read the letter and they do not know anything about them , only their secretaries deal with them .

I am ready for DNA test or to show them entry / exit stamps on passport but those idiots did not ask for any thing to provide them.

I spoke with a solicitor and we are getting ready to bring them to court to force them for a decision.
Status update : My application has been rejected after 1.6 Years because of insufficient documents. i have had provided all the additional documents they asked. i am waiting for the official communication ( i got email now) so may be they explain what document is missing..... is there any advise... refusal or rejection are same ?