ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Good Character Doubtful

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

talhachohan
Newly Registered

Good Character Doubtful

Post by talhachohan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:36 am

Hi All,

I got the ILR by spending 5 years on Tier 2 general it's been over one year on ILR so I was now going to apply for citizenship. The only worry is in terms of good character as I had the following:

1. Speeding ticket and was offered a speed awareness course which I took and didn't get any further fine or points on my licence. (Sep 2015)

2. PCN by the council for parking in a loading bay. I paid within 14 days even though my friend was the one who was driving my car. (May 2017)

3. PCN by the council for parking without displaying a valid ticket. I paid the fine within 14 days and again I wasn't the driver but the car was mine. (Sep 2017)

4. PCN by the council for taking a prohibited right turn. I paid the fine within 14 days and I was driving the car and it wasn't intentional only human error. (April 2018)

Based on the above can an expert or experience fellow naturalized citizen with a similar situation at the time of application advise if I should declare all of these?
If yes, does this imply that I fail good character?

My UK born son was born after I got ILR and he is British Citizen by birth and has got a British passport now. Can this improve my chances?

Thanks

equitydealer
Member of Standing

Re: Good Character Doubtful

Post by equitydealer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 am

First one would need to be declared, regardless of taking the speed awareness course you have effectively pleaded guilty and the offence has been registered.

2 & 3 are civil offences registered against the registered keeper of the car regardless of who was driving and therefore are not required to be declared.

On 4 did you have to declare that you were driving the car? If not the same as the above applies.

An offence counts against you, if you have personally admitted liability or been charged by a law enforcement official.
My comments do not constitute immigration advice, if in doubt consult an immigration adviser/solicitor

talhachohan
Newly Registered

Post by talhachohan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:39 am

Hello equitydealer,

Thanks for replying.

For 2 and 3, I was the registered keeper and an informal appeal to the council was made and rejected within 14 days so I paid and settled at the reduced 50% charge. The appeal was regarding the clarity of signage, however, there was no admission of guilt. Can this still be a problem?

For 4, I was not asked to declare if I was the driver however, I made an informal appeal to the council for considering my mitigating circumstances as my wife was in the hospital and in labour at that time. My son was born the next day to the date the cctv camera recorded the contravention. The appeal was rejected and I was again given 14 days to pay at the reduced 50% charge which I did.

Please advise if it is safe to continue with the application now? If not now, then how soon should I consider reapplying? Or has this distorted my character for life?

It's a shame that all 4 things I have mentioned happened unintentionally but still being used judge my character.

equitydealer
Member of Standing

Post by equitydealer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:11 pm

From what you’ve said I don’t see this going against you.

Only the FPN needs to be declared, none of the PCNs.
My comments do not constitute immigration advice, if in doubt consult an immigration adviser/solicitor

nidaulhaque
Member of Standing

Post by nidaulhaque » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:08 pm

Just mention 1 on the form which will not make aby differance in your application rest dont need to mention

equitydealer
Member of Standing

Post by equitydealer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:02 pm

nidaulhaque wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:08 pm
Just mention 1 on the form which will not make aby differance in your application rest dont need to mention
That’s pretty much repeating what I said :D

shanky

Post by shanky » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:03 pm

talhachohan wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:36 am
Hi All,

I got the ILR by spending 5 years on Tier 2 general it's been over one year on ILR so I was now going to apply for citizenship. The only worry is in terms of good character as I had the following:

1. Speeding ticket and was offered a speed awareness course which I took and didn't get any further fine or points on my licence. (Sep 2015)

2. PCN by the council for parking in a loading bay. I paid within 14 days even though my friend was the one who was driving my car. (May 2017)

3. PCN by the council for parking without displaying a valid ticket. I paid the fine within 14 days and again I wasn't the driver but the car was mine. (Sep 2017)

4. PCN by the council for taking a prohibited right turn. I paid the fine within 14 days and I was driving the car and it wasn't intentional only human error. (April 2018)

Based on the above can an expert or experience fellow naturalized citizen with a similar situation at the time of application advise if I should declare all of these?
If yes, does this imply that I fail good character?

My UK born son was born after I got ILR and he is British Citizen by birth and has got a British passport now. Can this improve my chances?

Thanks

Hi talhachohan

Wondering did you got your naturalization? and if you declared PCN's ? I'm in a similar situation.

Thanks

Regards

S
S

talhachohan
Newly Registered

Post by talhachohan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:29 pm

Sorry I didn't check you've asked last month. I haven't applied yet but it seems that declaring PCN's which are paid in time are not necessary as discussed below:

british-citizenship/pcns-needs-to-be-de ... 73050.html

I am in the process of compiling document and filling online application form that is AN1. I will update when I get a response.

Ciao

talhachohan
Newly Registered

Post by talhachohan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:33 pm

P.S. thanks equitydealer and nidaulhaq for the responses.